Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517301 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Civilization as we once knew it has ended.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Just spent a happy afternoon on my traditional apres Christmas job.
Asset strip the turkey, place the results into separate containers in the fridge - White meat, brown meat, bits and bobs for the pets.
Then break up the carcass and stuff it into the pressure cooker along with any leftover anything I can find.  Pressure cooker the fuck out of it.
Pour off and filter resultant stock.  Stick in fridge.  Wheh cooled and set, lift off solid layer of white fat.
Reboil to clean then pour into several ice cube makers for frozen stock cubes.  Hold back enough for tomorrow's traditional turkey and ham pie.   :P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

HUGE boxes of chocolate now have very scanty contents!

The Lindt advent calendar my wife bought me was a signal disappointment in this regard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Always read the ingredients.....I've just sliced some tomatoes & set them to simmer with some sliced cumberland sausage & olives , intending to serve with pasta.I put in a generous dollop of a garlic & chilli mix I was given as a present.  Then I spotted shrimp & anchovies.... not to sure if that's going to be a good combination..Smoked Chilli GarlicThe Smoked Chilli Garlic was L’ailOlive’s first product and remains one of our most popular.  The smoked garlic, smoked chillies, dried anchovies and shrimps gives it its full-bodied finish.  What makes our Smoked Chilli Garlic so distinctive is its crunchy texture that you wont find anywhere else.  That is achieved by a secret step in the cooking process.Ingredients:  Shallots, smoked garlic, smoked & dried anchovies & shrimps, smoked dried chillies, extra virgin olive oil, salt and sugar
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My diet-busting has been very limited this Christmas. I have had 4 mince pies and 2 pieces of Christmas pud with cream. I think that's about it. No sweets of any sort, even though they are in the house and the others are scoffing them. Phyllis always has humbugs, buttermints, mint crumbles, that sort of stuff. Feeling pretty virtuous.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
O. M. G.

Lidl's "Deluxe" almonds with habanero chili are the complete mutt's nuts!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Harking back to induction devilry for a moment, Mrs. Wow and I treated ourselves to one of these:

Clicky

on the grounds that, apart from it being a pretty crap, cheap model, there's not a lot wrong with our gas stove. We bought it deliberately as a very basic model when our old one packed up. We had fallen foul of a very prolonged power cut one year when there was a LOT of snow, and no leccy=no gas central heating. With the other gas stove, it meant no oven either, so we got one that didn't depend on leccy.

However, back to the consumerist trash referred to above. It's generally pretty good, with some pre-set programs. Its hotter modes get the pan very hot very quickly. It has a program for milk, so it doesn't allow it to boil over, and it is excellent for porridge. However, it has a "Stew" mode, which it touts as a slow-cooker substitute. Except that it has a timer that turns it off after 2 hours, and so far as I can tell there is no way of extending this time. That makes it utterly useless as a slow cooker.

Edit: I finished the stew on the lowest of the 9 manual settings. The stew was boiling very gently. However, after it had finished, some of the stew had been "caught" by the heat and there was some marginal carbonisation at the bottom of the pan. It surely must be possible to keep a large pan on the boil without the base burning?

O. M. G.

Lidl's "Deluxe" almonds with habanero chili are the complete mutt's nuts!

Aldi's "Specially Selected" Intense Wasabi Almonds are also rather moreish.....  looks guiltily at empty 150g tin & thinks he'll regret this later...

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
If a homemade lasagna normally requires 30-40 minutes at gas mark 6, what sort of temperature and cooking time would it require when frozen, do you think?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I'm guessing it's either cooked or burned at this point, but I'd generally turn down the heat a bit and check it for temperature in the middle after an hour...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

;D  I stuck a skewer in it after an hour and it was still frozen in the middle, so I turned it down for half an hour, then turned it up again to get the top nice and burnt.

Cudzoziemiec

The world's northern-most tea plantation, in the Adygea republic in southern Russia: http://agro2b.ru/en/news/34141-Adygea-plan-collect-least-tons-tea.html

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
This week, I have mostly been eating germknödel

Mmm germknödel by The Pingus, on Flickr

Today's germknödel by The Pingus, on Flickr

Germknödel by The Pingus, on Flickr

Germknödel by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I searched for the food shrinkage thread, with no success.

Tropicana has shrunk their 'litre' cartons to 950ml and their Family Size cartons from 1.75 to 1.6 litres.

Pigs cheeks shrink alarmingly when casseroled in red wine. V tasty tho.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Lidl loose lychees £6 per kg. Yum yum yum.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Montezuma's Dark Chocolate Sea Dog With Lime and Sea Salt is quite unpleasant. It's taken me a couple of pieces to work out what it tastes of, but the definitive answer is mouldy crumpet. The average mouldy crumpet hasn't got anything like as long an aftertaste, either. Bleurgh.
Not especially helpful or mature

Cudzoziemiec

I don't think I've tried that one, but their lime and chilli variety is rather scrumptious.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Quote from: building newsletter
The kitty milk is now located in the small fridge under the worktop.

:P

Cudzoziemiec

Milk that goes moo-ow!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I think I don't really like karela.

Cudzoziemiec

I had to look that one up. How funny that in Edinburgh you're calling it by a Sanskrit name (apparently) and in India it was simply "bitter gourd". It's certainly not to everyone's taste. I don't think I'd say I like it, but I can eat it in small quantities.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I had to look that one up. How funny that in Edinburgh you're calling it by a Sanskrit name (apparently) and in India it was simply "bitter gourd". It's certainly not to everyone's taste. I don't think I'd say I like it, but I can eat it in small quantities.

Sounds a bit like Stilton cheese. :P

Cudzoziemiec

Oh, I can eat Stilton in large quantities!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I did it with potato as a satay, and even with extra jaggery it's still too bitter for me.