Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508133 times)

Tis the season for work Xmas lunches. 20+ people, some not drinking, some drinking a lot at restaurant prices, some deliberately having main only etc.  Then comes the the single bill with murmurs of not dividing total by the number of people, accompanied by the inevitable and protracted dissection of who had what... :-\

Tis why I am glad to live 100 miles from my nearest office. I never have to attend works Christmas does. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Tis the season for work Xmas lunches. 20+ people, some not drinking, some drinking a lot at restaurant prices, some deliberately having main only etc.  Then comes the the single bill with murmurs of not dividing total by the number of people, accompanied by the inevitable and protracted dissection of who had what... :-\

Tis why I am glad to live 100 miles from my nearest office. I never have to attend works Christmas does.

Great advantage of being retired too!

Then there's
Brent Cyclists - did that last night - David's crowd.
Barnet Cyclists -I'll miss that as it's the same time as
Edgware CTC I'm organising that one so I'd better go.
Harrow Cyclists - Baker Street Irregular Astronomers and London Piano Circle all have events the same evening. David will go to LPC
Camden Cyclists have a social on the 17th...

Any suggestions for a veggie restaurant in NW london/Wembley area?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Rose.

Cheap, cheerful, amazing food, huge menu.

Not quiet and intimate but great fun.

http://www.rosevegetarian.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I could heartily recommend Mildred's but not in NW London, more central, but if you are ever heading that way give it a try.  There are 4 of them in Dalston, Camden, Soho and near Kings Cross. 

They don't take bookings and when I tried the Soho one we were half an hour early and there was already a queue.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Rose.

That really looks good, a place I would definitely enjoy, unfortunately not oriented towards "non-spicy" eaters.....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Rose.

That really looks good, a place I would definitely enjoy, unfortunately not oriented towards "non-spicy" eaters.....

There's always the veggie burger and chips.

They do Jain (no onion & garlic) variants and might rustle up a non-spicy dish on request.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
That's two litres of sloe gin started. Should be ready for next Christmas.

I'm doing the extraction without sugar, apparently it improves extraction efficiency which does not seem unreasonable, and I'll adjust as required with sugar syrup
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Smoked chicken, hard-boiled egg, avocado and sun-dried tomato/anchovy tapenade make a very good sandwich but the first bite gets you a handful of filling out the other side.  Best eaten with a knife & fork.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Feck me, one should think the international food fight gathering happen in town last night. First time in five years here I've seen so much food, both before and after consumption, on the streets. One would think that the local 24h Tesco had exploded.

We often see the odd spilled chip and at least one pavement pizza, after international football, a warm summers night or when schools out. But this AM the streets were paved with junk food.

Even Kilburn High Street of that there London, would be clean compared to this morning. Made it very hard to walk the dog.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Suspect Kilburn High Road's pigeon population have a penchant for pavement pizza...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Suspect Kilburn High Road's pigeon population have a penchant for pavement pizza...
you are not wrong there
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

I've cracked open the Damson Vodka. It tastes like alcoholic jam.

O.M.F.G.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Alcoholic damson jam... hmmm... I can't see a problem with that?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Mince pie report

Co-op
4 for £1.50
Large, sprinkled in sugar, not much filling, bland.
Half a star

M&S
6 for £2.50 (I think)
Smaller, more filling, still sprinkled in sugar but not so much. Taste of mince pie but in a semi-homeopathic way
One star

Elemental Bakery
5 for £4
Medium in size, with pastry stars on top, no sugar sprinkling, lots of filling, lots of taste.
Full stars

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I will roast a duck on Tuesday. With trimmings.

Think I'll microwave some cranberries, apple, orange, lemon & lime juices with a bit of ginger & sugar to put on top of it.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
I'v been on the potato peel snaps all day.......it has take n 3 hours to figure out the unven.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Mince pie report

Co-op
4 for £1.50
Large, sprinkled in sugar, not much filling, bland.
Half a star

M&S
6 for £2.50 (I think)
Smaller, more filling, still sprinkled in sugar but not so much. Taste of mince pie but in a semi-homeopathic way
One star

Elemental Bakery
5 for £4
Medium in size, with pastry stars on top, no sugar sprinkling, lots of filling, lots of taste.
Full stars

Overheard some posho laydee in the pub last night who had done a taste test and reckoned Morrisons came out best apart from some artisanal bakery in north Londonton.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Elemental is a more or less artisanal bakery but definitely not in north Londonton. And it's now closed till the new year, so more of their mince pies. All the Morrison's round here seem to have converted into Co-ops, so can't comment on those. I think there's one in Fishponds, right next to Aldi, Lidl and Tesco, which would offer wonderful comparison opportunities, but I'm not enough of a mince pie fan for that. Not unless it stops raining at any rate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
San Pellegrino Limonata has been reformulated to avoid the Sugar Tax.
David loved it as it was a treat when he visited family in Italy, or occasionally when offered in a Pizzeria here.
It was on Special Offer at Sainsbury's and I thought he'd like it with his festive meals but it's thinner and less intense than before.

Bah!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Sugar tax can sod off. I didn't and don't drink much sugary stuff, but I can't stand sweeteners so what I drink I want to have sugar and not chemical crud in it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The canny Scots are hoarding their stock of pre-Sugar Tax Irn Bru and flogging it off at exorbitant prices like vintage port ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We drink little fizzy pop and don't bother with alcohol.

I wanted a nice accompaniment for our festive meals.

Will choose something else next year...

Can't blame the canny Scots for hoarding The Real Thing (which isn't the Real ThingTM)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Fizzy pop can, as they say Oop North, do one.  But I'm having to make special shopping trips to keep barakta in special extra-expensive super-organic straight-outta-Mosley yummy-mummy Ribena substitute.  Which has no shelf life.

I'm from the 80s, and while a lead-lined container may occasionally have been prudent, you shouldn't have to keep squash in the fridge.