Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517283 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
What is this 'share' of which you speak?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't think anyone could get their digestive system round ten pounds of chocolate in one sitting.

This is not a challenge I wish to try...

ian

I brought one of those several years ago from the shop at Basel airport. I left it in the mothership kitchen as a gift to the subdeck minions. I don't think it lasted five minutes. They were like piranhas for chocolate. To be fair, they'd eat anything, even those half-eaten, Powerpoint-irradiated and curled sandwiches that had survived a long meeting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Does it come segmented or otherwise partitioned?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

You'd hope so, that being a defining feature of a Toblerone...

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Well yes but if there are just a dozen sections in a 4,500gran bar, each one is a challenge to tackle. I find the block in a 360g bar hard enough!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This is remarkably odd.

I have just received email notifications from Kim's and Helly's last two posts on this topic, after never before receiving emails about posts. I've never knowingly asked for these notifications, and I wasn't notified by Helly's 11.13pm post on this topic.

Checking my profile, it says I've requested notifications for this topic only. I can't think of any action I've carried out in the past 40 minutes or so which will have caused this to happen.

Weird.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Well yes but if there are just a dozen sections in a 4,500gran bar, each one is a challenge to tackle. I find the block in a 360g bar hard enough!
Google says:
People also ask
How many pieces are in 4.5 kg Toblerone?
Enhance your purchase
Brand   TOBLERONE
Diet type   Vegetarian
Speciality   Vegetarian
Size   4.5 kg (Pack of 1)
Number of pieces   1
5 more rows

This is why you should be careful how you phrase questions to Google.

I'm going to take a reasonable guess that there will be far more than a dozen chunks. Probably each pyramid is approximately the same width as a 'normal' Toblerone but much taller. And doesn't weigh ~300g. The only way to know is to buy, borrow, beg, steal or otherwise consume one...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

If it didn't it'd be Toblerohne.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I'm going to take a reasonable guess that there will be far more than a dozen chunks. Probably each pyramid is approximately the same width as a 'normal' Toblerone but much taller. And doesn't weigh ~300g. The only way to know is to buy, borrow, beg, steal or otherwise consume one...

Guess again:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254921132497

Cudzoziemiec

Okay! TBH I didn't even know the 'standard' if there is a standard, size had 12 sections – but now I assume all the sizes must do. Those are seriously big chunks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Toblerone Tinys, when you can get them, only have 3 sections...

Each segment is lettered > T O B L E R O N E so 9 segments, so 500g a segment (if they break nicely). I could probably eat one but couldn't be sure it'd stay down. I always imagined the big bar was just lots and lots of little bars filling the box.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think Toblerone bars have unlettered segments.

Nonetheless, the idea of having to break up a 400-500g chunk seems a daunting hammer'n'chisel job...

ian

The big bar is an entire Toblerone. I established that before the hoards descended. I don’t eat chocolate so I left them to it.

Cudzoziemiec

Lettered segments rings a bell, with some unlettered at each end, but it's a while since I ate one. JonBuoy's ebay link clearly shows 12 segments and they appear to be unlettered. And the price is currently $295 for one bar!  :D

ian

You can imagine how expensive it was in a Swiss airport shop. I put it on the company card, I figured feeding subdeck minions was a viable expense.

Cudzoziemiec

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It's 'only' £73.99, I think, direct from Toblerone, so not a HUGE expense.

I still think it would need a hammer & chisel or equivalent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

My granddaughter would like a rainbow cake for her second birthday. Is it wikid of me to use the pride flag colours and see how long till someone notices?* I think I have to.

* Someone absolutely will, I will be found out, that's accepted

My granddaughter would like a rainbow cake for her second birthday. Is it wikid of me to use the pride flag colours and see how long till someone notices?* I think I have to.

Sorry, what's the difference? The pride flag colours are the colours of the rainbow at least as far as a cake goes. If someone claims there are seven colours in the rainbow they are as wrong as Newton was.

[Apologies, I'm a colour nerd and could bore the arse off you with this]
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Sorry, what's the difference? The pride flag colours are the colours of the rainbow at least as far as a cake goes. If someone claims there are seven colours in the rainbow they are as wrong as Newton was.

And what's more, the wikipedia page is very wrong, and yes, there are citations that say so.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
JFDI

Why so it is! violet to red. I'd sort-of assumed that the flag had done some jumbling of the order, I hadn't taken that much notice.  Having said that, the SOP for cake baking would say choose bright irrelevant colours, so choosing the correct shade and tone for the flag should make it identifiable.