Author Topic: Low profile knobblies?  (Read 1038 times)

Low profile knobblies?
« on: 18 June, 2015, 04:39:51 pm »
I fear this is a forlorn hope, but it's worth a try.

I'm building up a hybrid for commuting and light touring duties. I've fitted mudguards to it to replace the tatty old ones. One result of this is that I've lost a bit of clearance. Fine for the road tyres it currently has, but not, I suspect, for my 38mm Land Cruisers.

So, are there any tyres out there that offer width but not height? Or some that are lower profile than others? I don't need 38mm and 35mm would suffice. The rims, I think, are 24mm.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Low profile knobblies?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2015, 04:48:23 pm »
I've been very pleased with the Clement USH Xplor on my commuter/tourer/light off-roader.
The tyres are fast enough on the road (thanks to the centre ridge I think) and the diamond shaped knobs on the side dig in quite well in mud although they can't cope with really deep stuff.
Couple that with puncture resistance; touching wood I've only had one in ~850 miles and that was a snake bite caused by a sharp edged pot-hole that was full of water. Yes, it was raining hard at the time ...........
As a further bonus, they're also easy to fit and remove.

http://clementcycling.com/ush

Mine are the (more expensive) 120tpi version.

See here as well:- https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85087.0

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

For commuting and touring my personal goal would be to go for something indestructible and accept penalties in terms of weight and handling. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour might be what you need. They have a bit of tread (I took 700x32 M+ tyres through wet grass, mud, gravel etc, and the Tour versions have better tread), and the puncture resistance makes them all but indestructible.

The downsides are that they are heavy and if you do get a puncture (running my 32mm M+ tyres I got one puncture in something like 7000 miles of riding) you may find it's easier to just buy a new wheel than get the tyre off.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »
http://road.cc/content/review/6490-kenda-small-block-8-700x32c-tyre

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PAIR-OF-700-x-32c-KENDA-SMALL-BLOCK-8-EIGHT-XC-TYRES-CYCLOCROSS-/390567467825

I had these as stock on a cross bike (35mm size though) that I use for commuting on a mix of tarmac, hard packed paths etc.

Changed them after about 5500km when the rear tyre didn't have much of the blocks left. Suffered 3-4 punctures at most during this time.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2015, 11:41:42 pm »
http://www.vredestein.co.uk/two-wheel-tyres/tour-trek-city/excellent-line/perfect-trek/info/

I  was looking for the Vredestein Spider but they don't seem  to be around any more. I've had a few sets of Vredesteins and all have been good, long lasting and good rolling.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2015, 07:18:13 am »
The Kenda Small block is what was known as a 'Spud tyre'. It will wear quick on the road.
The Vreddy is good, and Schwalbe do a 35mm Land Cruiser.

BTW, That ladies bike is still here for £25. Schwalbe M+ 26 x 1 3/8 I'm afraid.  :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:01:13 am »
Schwalbe Hurricanes are decent, and generally cheap.

Conti Speed ride are cheap (£15 for the folding version!) but made of tissue paper and cheese.

MArathon Tour are not that well regarded, they seem to have faerie magnets built into them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
Hmm, plenty of options to consider, thanks.

My route, FWIW, is 9.2 miles. About 3 miles is on good, surfaced cycle tracks, 5.5 miles on tarmac roads and the rest on a bumpy bridlepath.

I like Land Cruisers, but need something more puncture resistant. I know Marathon + is a way to go, but I'd rather have something lighter, if possible.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
Hurricanes are 'Level 3' faerie protected in Schwalbespeak. light and fast rolling but only IIRC in 40mm

Marathons are 'Level 6' but (to me) feel 'dead' on the tarmac -  I can't speak for off road.

Schwalbe have a tyre called 'Road Plus'. Lighter than a Marathon with the same tread pattern and the same belt under the tread. Readily available in 32mm, they should do what you want.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.