Author Topic: CN22 customs form for posting stuff overseas  (Read 4555 times)

CN22 customs form for posting stuff overseas
« on: 11 June, 2020, 10:42:22 am »
I went to the post office to send an item (one item) I sold to an overseas buyer.  Unfortunately I got what I now know is the "old style" CN22 customs label, which is utter crap and confusing!

Why is there no option for "commercial goods" but there is for "commercial sample"? I ticked "commercial sample", is that correct?

I then filled in the section for description, weight and value.

The next section is for the tariff number and country of origin if known. I left that blank because I didn't know the tariff number but I also didn't fill in total weight and total value because they are on the same row.

I then dated and signed.

Does not filling in the total weight and total value  stop it getting through customs?

The new label is clear and easy to understand in comparison.
https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2020-03/customs-declaration-cn22-march-2020.pdf

Royal Mail should have scrapped the old style labels but:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/106
To minimise adverse environmental impact, existing stocks of the 'old style' CN22 labels can still be used.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: CN22 customs form for posting stuff overseas
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2020, 11:16:37 am »
I filled one out , to send  the forks off my BJ to Guernsey, and I ticked gift.

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »
"Gift" is for exactly that, a gift. But who's to know whether or not that gift is connected to any money changing hands?

For an item sent in exchange for money, on the new form it's obviously "sale of goods" but on the old form? "Commercial sample" doesn't sound quite right, or is it suppose to be "other"?

To answer my OP, at best there'll be someone who sees the label and realise it's a mistake, corrects it and sends it through. Next would be a delay, worst would be returning the item back to me.

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:03:37 pm »
I bought some crabon wheels for the Brompton (yeah, ::-), I know) from a Chinese supplier.
They arrived tagged as a 'gift'.
It isn't the only time I've received stuff from China tagged as a gift.
Conversely, when I bought  a light from Dinotte (USA) I was hit for tax, as well as Royal Mail's handling charge.
ETA - I'd be surprised, unless there was a regular flow of consignments, that anyone from the authorities would check on this.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »
When I received a saddle from Selle Anatomica in the US it was labelled "gift".  If the value isn't large and it's a person-to-person transaction (i.e. no bombastic company wrappers) they probably won't bother to check.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:35:57 pm »
Why is there no option for "commercial goods" but there is for "commercial sample"? I ticked "commercial sample", is that correct?

No. By default, everything is a commercial good, for which the recipient is likely to have to pay custom duties in his/her country. The only exceptions are gifts, documents and free samples for which the recipient should not pay anything. 

A

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »
When I received a saddle from Selle Anatomica in the US it was labelled "gift".  If the value isn't large and it's a person-to-person transaction (i.e. no bombastic company wrappers) they probably won't bother to check.

The only problems with "gifts" happen when the parcel is lost. Since the content is assumed to be of no commercial value, it will be harder to claim for a refund.

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »
I bought some crabon wheels for the Brompton (yeah, ::-), I know) from a Chinese supplier.
They arrived tagged as a 'gift'.
It isn't the only time I've received stuff from China tagged as a gift.
Conversely, when I bought  a light from Dinotte (USA) I was hit for tax, as well as Royal Mail's handling charge.
ETA - I'd be surprised, unless there was a regular flow of consignments, that anyone from the authorities would check on this.

They might not be checking whether a parcel marked as a gift is actualy a gift but they must checking most  if not all parcel labels so they collect the appropriate tax and duty.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:29:37 pm »
Gifts worth more than £39 are still liable for import tax (into the UK).