Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 331679 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #50 on: 01 September, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
My Woodrup, AKA "Chromey"

*drooool*

I bought my Woodrup to fix, but it turned out to have an unseasonably early vertical dropout! :o :-[

Memo to self: Get another ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 01 September, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
Mrs Mikes pimpy langster:

This is nice. Very, errr, racy!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 01 September, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »
Blue:

Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 02 September, 2009, 12:44:31 pm »

Fixed:

SS:

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 02 September, 2009, 12:48:40 pm »
They're awful, mate - really terrible.  Look, I'll tell you what I can do for you.  Just send 'em to me, then you'll be shot of a couple of rattly old boneshakers.  I guess I might get a few pence for the scrap iron or summat but I'll do it as a favour to you, like. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 02 September, 2009, 12:53:19 pm »
They're all yours... if all your puns stop.  ;D
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 02 September, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »
Too high a price.  That's gone for a Burton! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 02 September, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »
 ;D
*croak*
He got me, pa. He got me real good.

« Reply #58 on: 03 September, 2009, 12:48:29 pm »

Out of focus but dressed for LEL:-

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zzpza

« Reply #59 on: 05 September, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »

« Reply #60 on: 07 September, 2009, 07:02:30 pm »
My Bowery. A few bits changed from standard: ITM Black Stream forks, chopped 'n' flipped bars, Tiagra crank with Thorn chainring, and the Halo Twin Rail tyres. And of course the hundreds of stickers. Just needs a white saddle then I'll stop spending money on it until I can afford new wheels.

I love this! :thumbsup: Am planning on copying the idea for my uni hack - where did you get all the stickers from?

« Reply #61 on: 07 September, 2009, 07:39:44 pm »

I love this! :thumbsup: Am planning on copying the idea for my uni hack - where did you get all the stickers from?

Stickerbomb if I'm not mistook

Stickerbomb: Amazon.co.uk: Studio Rarekwai: Books

« Reply #62 on: 07 September, 2009, 07:57:35 pm »

Reminds me...those look like Smart Superflash lights...

I really wouldn't like to ride behind you (or next to you given how much it could blind motorists behind) with your lights angled like that.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #63 on: 07 September, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »

Yep, that's the chap. They're holding up well too, even in the rain. The only places I've had problems with peeling or rubbing off is on the right hand side of the top tube. That's where I rest my leg at lights. If I'd clearcoated it properly it wouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #64 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

Reminds me...those look like Smart Superflash lights...

I really wouldn't like to ride behind you (or next to you given how much it could blind motorists behind) with your lights angled like that.

The seat stay lights won't bother anyone unless they are *right* on my back wheel. I couldn't angle them down on the stays, so I figured angling them up was the next best thing. You will notice they are set to point up quite high, which makes them visible but not to glarey from a bike length back, I guess slightly more for someone in a tall vehicle or standing up on the pedals and slightly less for someone in a car.

The one on the saddle bag is carried as a spare because it is glare city for anyone behind me - unless I'm in heavy rain on the A56, in which case the more lights the merrier.

The only people let down by the compromise are those in stationary traffic - but I think even the smarts can get a bit lost in the sea of brake lights whilst most drivers sit with their foot on the pedal.

It's either this, or revert to the previous no-saddle bag setup.

« Reply #65 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »

Yep, that's the chap. They're holding up well too, even in the rain. The only places I've had problems with peeling or rubbing off is on the right hand side of the top tube. That's where I rest my leg at lights. If I'd clearcoated it properly it wouldn't be a problem.

Aha fantastic! Was one book enough to cover everything? I hadn't actually realised you'd used clearcoat - if you had problems, I'm guessing a couple of coats may be best?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #66 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:29:52 pm »
Had identity issues on the last post  :-[

« Reply #67 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:24:06 pm »
Aha fantastic! Was one book enough to cover everything? I hadn't actually realised you'd used clearcoat - if you had problems, I'm guessing a couple of coats may be best?

Yes, one book was enough, with loads left for patching up. I just gave it one quick coat of clear. I should have stripped the bike right down and done it properly. When it's wet my leg rubbing on the top tube rubs the stickers off. Other than that it's all holding up well.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #68 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
Here are mine, a Custom Ron Cooper Audax bike, usually on 68" gear

My Dads old 1969 Lambert Proffessional, used for TT's and occaisionally stripped for the track. on 72" gear at present. Turns out the frame might be a Holdsworth Typhoon from the fifties.

1960 Holdsworth Monsoon, salvaged from a skip and renovated, currentley on a 61" gear

70's Falcon, my first fixed bike, in bits at the moment for a respray.

My Graham Weigh now taken over from the Lambert for TTs anything between 72" and 88" gear depending on time of year and course.

My latest addition a Specialized Tri-Cross 71" fixed
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #69 on: 12 September, 2009, 04:07:10 pm »
I now have a copy of Kyuss' incredible bike - mine's not up to the same standard, mefinks, but I loves it I do!

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: 12 September, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »
In the spirit of the Titanium thread, I thought it would be a nice idea to start a similar thread for fixed gear bikes.

Here is mine with a failed saddle bag experiment a saddle bag dressed for the Manchester 100. Now show us yours...

I had a steel Fixed 'Pearson' twenty years ago; back then we (I say 'we' as I worked there for 15 years) used Dave Yates to build the steel Pearson range of frames. I rode it as a fixed for about 10 years, although I had it built as a normal geared bike frame with horizontal dropouts and gear lever bosses. For a few years I used it with gears as my tour bike before reverting back to a fixed for use as a 'work' bike.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

« Reply #71 on: 12 September, 2009, 05:12:56 pm »
Another Singlecross. It was the only thing the LBS had that I thought would make a nice commuter.

When photographed it was about 63" SS but now it's 70" fixed. Happy with it so far. Still looks much the same as when photographed, I've upgraded the saddle and changed the carbon seatpost for an alloy one 'cos it kept slipping. Still haven't got around to finding some black cable ties.

Si

« Reply #72 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:12:59 pm »
My first fixed (built from spares and sticky tape):

Current:

Old SS:

« Reply #73 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:25:32 pm »

Current:

If Hell Boy had a bike, it would be that one.  ;D

border-rider

« Reply #74 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »
Fixed:

SS: