Author Topic: Late season Super Randonneur 2020  (Read 13817 times)

rob

Re: Late season Super Randonneur 2020
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:47:40 pm »
I've got a 400 to do this Saturday, having bailed on doing it last weekend.   The weather currently looks a bit changeable.

Bailed again.  One more chance next weekend.

« Reply #26 on: 04 October, 2020, 10:24:31 pm »
I have a calendar 200 from March and then a DIY 300 once those were opened up in mid August (with 2 x DIY 200 in the first half of August). Real life interruptions since then so aiming for a 400 and a 600 (in SW England) in the next 20 days.
The YHA have dropped their 'private room' rates to £29 for a selection of those hostels opening
https://www.yha.org.uk/autumn-private-rooms?utm
and I'll likely try to design the route to target a hostel for some sleep in the dark hours, for the 600.
This is my draft 400 (from Weymouth): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34335126?beta=false
and the 600 will be something like this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34316867?beta=false

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2020, 01:04:17 am »
Think I've finally worked out my 600, hopefully get the weather for it...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:26:34 am »
400, 200 and 300 done in September. 

400 was the Chilterns Cycleway, 200 a very tough lap of the Lake District and 300 an easy ride down to and along the Kent/Sussex coast from New Romney to Pevensey.

600 was going to be Mr Pickwick in search of Dragons but I'm not sure I fancy it with shortening days, so will probably go for something faster, starting from London.

I think I'll bow out.  I had cleared my work and home diaries to do a 600 to Lincoln and back tomorrow and in to Saturday.  But I just don't feel like doing it.  In truth, while I really like 400s, I've gone off 600s.  It's the second day thing, riding slowly when I'm tired and sore, don't have time pressure and it feels like I'm just going through the motions.   

If I do anything it will be Mr Pickwick as that would be a genuine challenge to get round it in the time limit, wheras riding to Lincoln and back isn't.

Lesson (re)learned: I need to have a good enough reason to want to do a long ride.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:43:36 am »

Looks like there might be the weather for it, but I've been no right since middle of last week and just getting over it now.

rob

« Reply #30 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:37:19 am »
400, 200 and 300 done in September. 

400 was the Chilterns Cycleway, 200 a very tough lap of the Lake District and 300 an easy ride down to and along the Kent/Sussex coast from New Romney to Pevensey.

600 was going to be Mr Pickwick in search of Dragons but I'm not sure I fancy it with shortening days, so will probably go for something faster, starting from London.

I think I'll bow out.  I had cleared my work and home diaries to do a 600 to Lincoln and back tomorrow and in to Saturday.  But I just don't feel like doing it.  In truth, while I really like 400s, I've gone off 600s.  It's the second day thing, riding slowly when I'm tired and sore, don't have time pressure and it feels like I'm just going through the motions.   

If I do anything it will be Mr Pickwick as that would be a genuine challenge to get round it in the time limit, wheras riding to Lincoln and back isn't.

Lesson (re)learned: I need to have a good enough reason to want to do a long ride.

I quite like 600s these days.   Don't faff on the Saturday and book a hotel at 360-400k.   The an easy Sunday ride.

I assume you were looking to ride straight through ?

« Reply #31 on: 08 October, 2020, 11:30:44 am »

That’s the thing isn’t it? It’ll be hard enough with the long hours of darkness without a bit of weather to liven it up.  Probably be the kiss of death but weather this weekend looks okay for my 400.  Not thinking too much beyond it at the moment. One ride at a time.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:15:20 pm »
Thankfully neither home or the parents caravan is affected by new restrictions, a short night on that couch is in the plan, and I can make it pretty flat by local standards.
A good moon and clear sky would help, wouldn't make the late night lap of rannoch any less lonely or spooky though!

« Reply #33 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:45:27 pm »
My 600 has a hotel booked. Whilst it’ll be doable without, it may make for grim night this time of year.  I’ll be eyeing up alternate routes based on where lockdown restrictions are kicking in.  But it’s still over two weeks to my 600 and a lot can change in that time.

« Reply #34 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:48:29 pm »

I quite like 600s these days.   Don't faff on the Saturday and book a hotel at 360-400k.   The an easy Sunday ride.

I had my eye on a Premier Inn at 380km.  Then it would have been a long stop - no need to get up early to ride all the way in the dark.  I was looking forward to the first day, but not the second, especially as the last half would have been on very familiar roads through the Chilterns. 

I then thought about riding through, but that didn't appeal either.  As we all know, long rides are a mental thing!

I've now arranged to go out with my recently-blind friend on the tandem on Saturday morning instead, which will be more fun!

bairn again

« Reply #35 on: 08 October, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »

I had my eye on a Premier Inn at 380km.  Then it would have been a long stop - no need to get up early to ride all the way in the dark.  I was looking forward to the first day, but not the second, especially as the last half would have been on very familiar roads through the Chilterns. 

I then thought about riding through, but that didn't appeal either.  As we all know, long rides are a mental thing!

I've now arranged to go out with my recently-blind friend on the tandem on Saturday morning instead, which will be more fun!

It sounds familiar Frank.

I've not got the enthusiasm for a 400 or 600 that I thought Id have automatically when events were unlocked.  I did a late August 300 and really enjoyed it but I've no plans to complete an SR. 

Im going to ride a simple 200km round Perthshire on Saturday and enjoy the autumn colours and to find out which eating establishments are actually open in our latest version of lockdown. 

All thoughts of longer events have been parked until Mar/Apr 2021 and I can establish at that point if my SR tally is 15 not out or just 15!

Enjoy your tandem ride. 

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #36 on: 08 October, 2020, 11:04:51 pm »
I had a degree of pent up desire to complete in September, and luckily was able to make use of that during the good weather (400, 300, 600 DIYs on consecutive weekends).
Since then I'm not certain whether I have less desire to ride due to having completed my SR (calendar 200 in March)  or due to the encroaching darkness.
Respect to everyone still looking to complete the longer distances this month.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #37 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:41:25 am »
Think I have one chance to complete my 600 on 17th and 18th, hoping for good weather.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #38 on: 09 October, 2020, 06:48:17 pm »
Bit changeable, so who knows.  I’m fairly happy at anything less than storm force winds and / or biblical rains based on this year’s audaxes.

« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2020, 06:53:39 pm »
Emergency silver bag and lightweight mat back in seat bag for tomorrow’s 400.  Plan is to ride through but I have a church porch marked in case the dozies get me and I need a couple of hours rest. All my other stuff laid out, GPS batteries charged, head torch charged, and bike ready.

Winds look reasonable with a few showers tomorrow afternoon. Wind should give a light push home which is always good.

rob

« Reply #40 on: 10 October, 2020, 09:46:31 pm »
I've got a 400 to do this Saturday, having bailed on doing it last weekend.   The weather currently looks a bit changeable.

Bailed again.  One more chance next weekend.

And done. Got up at 3am on a chilly but starry night. Up to Hunstanton and then turned East with the wind behind me.  Wet ride along the North Norfolk coast was a bit annoying but it dried out later on.  October isn’t a great time to do this distance but it was a satisfying day.

« Reply #41 on: 11 October, 2020, 12:49:37 am »
aiming for a 400 and a 600 (in SW England) in the next 20 days.
Cracked my 400 on Friday (and a bit of yesterday) 9/10 Oct) from Weymouth - this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34388920?beta=false
Controls: Dorchester, Studland ferry, Beaulieu, Westbury, Weston-super-Mare, Taunton, Castle Cary
Landscapes: Isle of Purbeck. Poole Harbour, Bournemouth and Boscombe promenade, New Forest, Wylye valley, Mendips, Weston beach, Somerset levels, Cerne valley
Pleased, by design, to keep the climb to a minimum (3000m on RwGPS, 3300+ on Garmin).
Started at 05:02. Finished at 03:43. Misty and cool before dawn. Hours of sunshine on and off throughout the day. The forecast shower came though around midday. Was hard and cold in the wee hours. Bottom (30") gear up all the hills, even gentle ones, after midnight. Resented the climbing a bit, not least because going downhill at speed was really 'cold'. Garmin suggested it never went below 4, though.
The Brevet Cymrus were so much easier with the warm welcome of the Llangattock Community Centre at 350km with @Black Sheep et al providing sustenance, a chair to sit on and even somewhere to lay one's head for a few early hours.
Feeling weary and doubting I can do a 600, but know that these doubts will pass as the (not very delayed) DOMS wears off. As others have said: need a two day weather window in the next fortnight.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:07:02 am »
Chapeau rob and all you late season riders! Nothing more than 200s for me, for the next few months.

The weather seems stuck in a cold, windy and rainy spell at the moment - I hope you all get a nice mild and sunny weekend before Halloween.

« Reply #43 on: 11 October, 2020, 12:29:13 pm »
DNF from me.

Despite the biblical showers and hail in places it had been going well. I’d had a couple of long diversions due to work on bridges damaged recently. But all part of what you may find on the ground.

I had headed east via Gt Dunmow, Lavenham to Thurston swing round Bury St Edmonds and off to Ely. The Chinese in Ely wasn’t yet open. Stopped in chip / kebab shop in Little Downham. After waiting 10 mins for the guy to even take my order I left. The guy was too busy taking phone orders and ignoring the only customer actually physically present. Waiting in the kebab shop has cooled me down, so I stopped and put a second merino base layer. I also added my PBP gilet as it had by now turned dark. My GPS complained of low battery. I had a Chinese in March which took 25 mins to be ready, but I wasn’t the only one they were apologising to. That was consumed in a bus shelter (giving some shelter from the rain), with my spork.

My first set of rechargeable AA popped up low battery again before GPS switched off.  Popped in a second set and carried on.  The second set died after an hour.  Despite being freshly charged on Friday. So I put in some non rechargeable AA I bought recently. My last set of spares. No problem I would get four more AA at the garage in Whittlesey before the curfew kicked in.

There are a few level crossings on this stage.  After my experience of 2018 of the off on the Prickwillow level crossing in the dark and wet. Opening a hole in the elbow that wouldn’t stop bleeding and ended my Easter arrow.  I decided to walk any level crossings I came across. This was born out when I was walking across one and my front wheel dropped in a groove and turned 90 degrees.

All was on track to reach Whittlesey before the 10pm curfew.  Then the first puncture occurred on one of those dark midnight black fen roads. Not a light to be seen. Under my head torch I tried to find the hole in the rain but no luck.  So I fitted a spare tube and carried on. It had taken a while checking the tyre and making sure I didn’t lose anything in the dark.

The second puncture occurred maybe 30 mins from Whittlesey.  The road had subsided and my bike just dropped down in a straight line with lots of metal scraping sounds, then came to a complete stop from around 24 km/h. Then I tumbled onto my right side a little bit puzzled as to what had just happened.  Sure on a road bike I’d have been over the bars.

On checking the bike seemed ok, though the front wheel had taken a beating.  It’s a 406 rim with 36 spokes so amazingly stayed true. It was the rim that’d been making the scraping noises. Plenty of scratches but no dents I could see. But the tyre was a flat as they come. Whilst standing in road gathering myself a car with two lads came along.  They asked if I had puncture repair and then offered to shine their car lights whilst I sorted it. We moved down to a pull in they knew about, about 200m away.  They’d seen my PBP gilet in their lights.

The spare inner tube had a largish hole but looked repairable. I patched one hole but it had a hole somewhere else and wasn’t inflating and buggered if I could find the other hole. So reluctantly I pulled out the original inner tube and looked for the hole. Fortunately, I found it and it was just a small hole . The patch solution wasn’t curing in the cold. It was thankfully between rain storms at this point. So I blew on the so,union and that was enough to get it to cure. Patch on, quick test to see it inflate, then on wheel, tyre on, and inflate , wheel back on.  Then noticed the handlebars were not straight with the front wheel. Yep that was some impact. Luckily just stem had twisted. So sorted that out and off we went. The lads lived just 1/2 mile further on at a farm and followed me to make sure all was good. I thanked them several times for shining their car lights. The tyre had a bit of loose rubber on the side wall where the full stop moment had sliced it. I darent pull it off in case it opened up a hole in the tyre. So I rode along with the flap making a thacking noise on the mudguard. But other than that bike was running fine with no other noises and no shifting issues. Having gone down on right side.

Unfortunately these delays meant I didn’t roll into Whittlesey till 10:45pm. It was dead as a dodo , no garage open, nor anything else. All shut up. So I carried on with no more spare GPS batteries and hoping for no more punctures.

Then the supposedly new AA threw up low battery on the GPS. WTF?  Anyway I carried on down through Pondersbridge  and right through Holme.  Across the A1 and towards Northamptonshire.  The new AA lasted about another hour and then the GPS turned off. I was purposefully following new roads on this leg and wasn’t that familiar with all the places I needed to pass through.  I saw a sign to 24 hr services but after diverting, the lights were on, but no one home. With little prospect of finding an open services before I hit the M1 I had choices to make. I decided I didn’t know this leg well enough from my planning to do it from the sign posts. It wasn’t the weather or time to get lost. So reluctantly decided my attempt was over.

I retraced back to the A1 where I’d seen signs for Huntingdon. This led me to the Alconburys then on to Huntingdon. I gazed upon darkened forecourts as I passed through on the ring road. Following the signs I found the A1198 south to Royston and jumped on it. I wouldn’t touch it in daylight but after midnight, single cars and trucks were only about every 20 mins (and mostly going the other way).

Down the A1198 , even the garage at Caxton was closed. McDs had the lights on but no they wouldn’t serve me on my strange contraption. Yes I might be the only one there but health and safety. Argh.

Back on the A1198 and onwards to Bassingbourne where I turned right. I’d had the dozies most of the way down A1198 but didn’t want to stop on it. On reaching Litlington I saw the church and went to investigate. It was raining again which it had been doing on and off to various degrees since Dunmow. There was a deep substantial porch. So I got myself and bike in there. Got my emergency silver bag out, together with an inflatable mat.  Got my head down and was soon asleep. I didn’t set an alarm, no longer bound by time limits. I awoke after 1.5 hours now cold. Time to get moving again.

Onwards to Steeple Morden, then Ashwell reentering Hertfordshire. From here on to Bygrave the Baldock, Weston, and home as the clouds cleared a little and the glow of pre sunrise then a bit of low sun. Lovely light.

I’ve enjoyed my ride and even retracing then heading to Huntingdon I suspect I’m not too far short of 400km. But stuff happens so no audax 400. I’ve got a light graze about 4 inches long on my right thigh , but no pain, and got away lightly.

This ends my late season 2020 SR attempt as I don’t have enough weekends to fit another 400 attempt then 600. Just some 100s or 200s over the winter now.

« Reply #44 on: 11 October, 2020, 04:55:39 pm »
I have had a few years away from Audax having worn myself out I sought distraction in other places. Quarantine and work from home has made me want to escape again and made me appreciate what I got from Audax, even if I am just riding on familiar roads from home.

Built back up to 200 and 300 from a low base by early September. Did not step up to the bigger distances due to touring on the tandem through the good weather in mid September. Bailed on a 600 attempt on the really windy weekend and weather since then has been crap. Had given up, but clearly still had an itch.

Completed a 400k this weekend from London, setting off at 04:00 taking an extended route to Dunwich via Maglia Rosso and Suffolk Cycle Route A. Returned via an adapted version of the Dunwich dynamo route in reverse.

It was tough with a lot of riding in the dark, windy and wet weather interspersed with bright sunshine. Heavy rain shower at Dunwich left the roads flooded in places. As has been said it’s a tough time of year for the distance. Had some issues with my front light adding extra unnecessary jeopardy on the return.

The highlight was a beautiful sunrise and enjoying the low sunshine in the autumnal conditions.

600 still needed for the SR. Will have to decide if I have the mental energy for it in the coming weeks taking into account weather. It would leave me with just 1 more SR needed for an Ultra Randonneur which I could complete next season. 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #45 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:43:00 pm »
600 still needed for the SR. Will have to decide if I have the mental energy for it in the coming weeks taking into account weather. It would leave me with just 1 more SR needed for an Ultra Randonneur which I could complete next season.

good going, akin, same situation about the ultra randonneur for me too. i've done my first audax of this year today (london-cambridge-london), can't say i'm looking forward to the rest of the sr series! but i'll give it a go, weather permitting - we still have three weeks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #46 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:09:13 pm »
Just realized we're down to 10hrs of daylight round here.
Which means my Errochty and Trinafour loop will also be in the dark.... might have a rethink on that bit.
Although I can't lob a lap of Loch Tay in to extend my route north as that would mean going into the plauge zone.

« Reply #47 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:32:35 pm »
Just realized we're down to 10hrs of daylight round here.
Which means my Errochty and Trinafour loop will also be in the dark.... might have a rethink on that bit.
Although I can't lob a lap of Loch Tay in to extend my route north as that would mean going into the plauge zone.

Yeah I rode through 11 hours of darkness with 1.5 hours sleep in a church porch on my ride.  I’d been so focused on making sure I hit a place for supplies before 10pm curfew that I’d forgotten how early it now gets dark. I should have opted for bigger roads earlier.

rob

« Reply #48 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:03:42 pm »
Sorry to see your woes, Phil, and good to see you back out, Akin (been a while since we bumped into each other).  It looks like we were all on quite similar roads on and off.

I knew the lack of daylight would be an issue.  In the Summer I would leave at 6am and be back a bit after dark.  The 3:30 start meant for less riding in the dark at the end.   The first few hours were chilly but I wrapped up and was treated to 2 badgers (3 if you count the dead one), several rabbits, a deer and an owl.   The lanes were quiet and easy to navigate with GPS and my front light on its lowest setting.   At times night riding can be a real privilege. 

One of my favourite bits of road in North Norfolk was a bit spoiled b6 the wet.  Being a bit more sensible in my later years I carried extra kit so could put on a jacket and overshoes.  At a later stop I put them away and treated myself to dry gloves and socks and it stayed dry from that point.

I stayed pretty laney after the Reedham Ferry for a while before using more main rides towards the end.  It was dark for the last 2hrs but it didn’t get cold.   I was home just before 9pm which is only an hour slower than I would expect with Summer fitness.

I didn’t stop much with just 3 shop visits.   I could have treated myself to a cafe stop or a pub lunch but I didn’t really need it.  I did sleep for a bit over 10hrs without moving, but I’m very satisfied with the ride.  200s through to the Spring now.

« Reply #49 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:33:14 pm »
Well done everyone who is still going for it

I started my 400 at 3:30 am too. Nowadays I prefer to get my night riding in before sunrise than after sunset.

@Rob, it's that main road along the top of Norfolk OK?

I thought about doing that as a 600 from London, but ruled it out as thought it was a bit car-y. But from my house right round the whole Suffolk and Norfolk coast and back is 600km, so tempting if ok.