Author Topic: Wheels are supposed to be round right?  (Read 1910 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Wheels are supposed to be round right?
« on: 31 July, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »
Cycling home from work today I saw this bike in Amsterdam, and the shear state of the wheel made me decide to give it a go at filming it.

https://youtu.be/hXsYeBIXWV8

I often comment to non Dutch riders about how badly maintained many bikes I see in the Netherlands are. This isn't the worst I've seen, but it's certainly in the top 20%. Maybe if I get enough footage of said bikes, people will believe me...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Wheels are supposed to be round right?
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:12:25 pm »
It's the mudguard that makes it.

I've seen worse on British BSOs, but I'm sure they only do a fraction of the mileage before self-destructing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:21:45 pm »
It's interesting (or is it?) to wonder whether British streets would be full of wobbly-wheeled, rusty-chained, flat-tyred roadsters, doing a few miles a day on commutes and errands, if we ever reached that utopic state of cyclolandia that we're supposedly aiming for. Anecdotal evidence such as Cambridge railway station suggests they would.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:23:43 pm »
Looks fine to me  ;)

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »
Not stopping them from shifting along, mind.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:19:21 am »
When I was last in Amsterdam I saw some shockingly blazé cycling including one person who was actually asleep while riding along.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:03:15 am »
When I was last in Amsterdam I saw some shockingly blazé cycling including one person who was actually asleep while riding along.

Nothing strange about that. During PBP 2007 I attended a function in full evening dress between Tinteniac & Fougères.

Meanwhile, anyone for tacos?

El Prez's back wheel after being addressed by a front bumper.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2018, 02:34:16 pm »
No doubt that the popularisation of disc brakes will make this sort of thing more common. He wouldn't have got along so well but for his drums.

Nothing wrong with this, it goes, it stops (I assume), it does what it's meant to and it avoids requiring a car. What's not to like?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2018, 04:01:22 pm »
Alas, it doesn't go. Or didn't - it might be fixed by now.

Nowt to do with disc brakes, the poor chap had been stationary for about 15 sec when the scatterbrain drove into him.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight