Author Topic: Disposing of old CRT TV's  (Read 12040 times)

Disposing of old CRT TV's
« on: 04 August, 2014, 07:08:03 pm »
I've got _3_ portable CRT TV's and a CRT monitor lurking in my loft.  I haven't watched TV for years.  There may be a VCR & twin cassette deck as well...  :facepalm:

Is there anything useful that can be done with this stuff ?  Charities/organisations that can use it or am I best just taking it to the local recycling place ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Disposing of old CRT TV's
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
I've no idea - sorry! But I've been wondering along similar lines for other reasons (seeing CRT TVs abandoned on the pavement with "working - please take" labels - especially around end-of-student-year time). Don't they have any second-hand value nowadays? Do they even work at all, what with TV having gone digital (is that what it's done?!?) ?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2014, 07:16:43 pm »
You can buy a digital box for very little money, & plug it into your non-digital TV.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Piemaster

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »
We went to Longleat last week. Apparently Nico, the 50 year old gorilla, got a 32" flat screen TV for his birthday. This should give you an idea of how valued CRT TV's are, but then Nico watches a lot more TV than you. They won't be digital either so would need a set-top box to actually watch broadcast TV on. So I'd say local recycling place.

A thought though, do you need a TV licence for an analog TV as you now can't actually watch anything on them without using a set-top box now there's no analog broadcasts? An ideal companion for your Betamax then.

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »
For Nico the gorilla a 32" crt is probably just a portable.

Unless you need the space I would leave them in the loft.  After all that is how we make antiques, is it not?

In my loft i have a Rotel CD player, a wharfedale DVD player, a SOTA(1998) Panasonic surround sound system and a 15cm crt tv for camping.  Wish I hadn't skipped my DOS twin floppy PC now.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2014, 07:46:07 pm »
Wish I hadn't skipped my DOS twin floppy PC now.

I think there's 3 PC mini towers up there as well...  none of them with hard drives, one without a PSU.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »
The last CRT TV I had, an excellent Phillips product died.  So when I replaced it I bought the new Samsung LCD telly higher resolution and larger screen, lower depth  but inferior colour reproduction from John Lewis.  They had an option to dispose of the old TV so I took it. I was a little worried for the delivery men because the day scheduled was a day after a heavy snowfall. It would have been so easy for them to be injured carrying a wide screen CRT TV on ice.  I am pleased to say they got it onto their lorry without mishap.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:26:09 pm »
Throw them out the window?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »
Throw them out the window?

I'm on the 4th floor...... perhaps I should save them as anti zombie weapons.   A 14" Goodmans cheapie should see off one of the undead if I get my aim right... :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:54:09 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
If you have a local British Heart Foundation, furniture & electrical, give them a ring they will collect, I donated a 23inch early this year & got a letter a few weeks later to say they had raised £25 plus the gift aid from it. So they do have some value more than taking to the tip.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B21qgo2JY9o&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/B21qgo2JY9o&rel=1</a>
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »
If you have a local British Heart Foundation, furniture & electrical, give them a ring they will collect, I donated a 23inch early this year & got a letter a few weeks later to say they had raised £25 plus the gift aid from it. So they do have some value more than taking to the tip.

Thanks, there's one fairly close so I'll give them a call tomorrow.    Just remembered I've got a cheap'n'nasty espresso machine as well..

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:56:56 am »
In my loft i have a Rotel CD player

Mine's happily installed in the Great Hall.  Not a daily driver but it stll works twenty-five years on.  Is it worth Money?

Apropos telly disposal you will need a Holiday Inn with at least four storeys and a view over the swimming pool.  It has to be a Holiday Inn.  A Marriott or a Radisson is insufficiently rock'n'roll and that's all there is to it.  Bonus points if you hit Bono with it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
Bono's points?

ian

« Reply #15 on: 05 August, 2014, 10:40:02 am »
If you can hit Bono mid-pontification that's got to be worth something.

Wasn't there a French guy who used to eat TVs? I think he ate a Cessna once. Brings an entire new dimension to the phrase tough shit. Mind you, I dare him to eat my mother's cooking.

« Reply #16 on: 05 August, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
Thanks ton the best endeavours of the Axis of self-entitled evil ConDem Alliance there are lots and lots of low paid and poor people in the UK who would welcome a free or very very cheap television of any kind.   

As mentioned upthread, the BHF shops seem to sell old televisions. 

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2014, 11:54:13 am »
Wasn't there a French guy who used to eat TVs? I think he ate a Cessna once.

Michel Lotito, aka Monsieur Mangetout.  The Cessna took him two years, apparently.

« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:24:54 pm »
Well I'm now covered in dust & loft insulation  :( 

Quite a sobering moment, looking at the manuals.  I stapled the receipts to them.....   I paid that much for stuff back in the 90's !   This was they days before Ebay.

Sad to see the name of our local hifi shop, the wonderfully named "Beaver Radio",   long gone....

« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2014, 07:42:15 am »
Thanks ton the best endeavours of the Axis of self-entitled evil ConDem Alliance there are lots and lots of low paid and poor people in the UK who would welcome a free or very very cheap television of any kind.   

Until they find that their energy bills have increased further beyond their means.  A crt telly uses c.4x the energy of an lcd although it does produce some heat as a bonus.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2014, 08:20:53 am »

Until they find that their energy bills have increased further beyond their means.  A crt telly uses c.4x the energy of an lcd although it does produce some heat as a bonus.

Unlikely to make that much difference - 10 or 15 quid a year extra in electricity (maybe £30 for an outlier) is probably a lot easier to find than two or three hundred for a more efficient telly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:16:09 am »
Quite a few charity shops no longer accept CRTs.

ian

« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:28:33 am »
I was about to say the same, many charity shops won't accept everything. We've been giving stuffs to the BHF for a while and reasonably enough they'll only take things they'll sell on. They wouldn't take our old middling-size CRT TV on the grounds that no one wanted them. They were right, we couldn't give it away, and it went to the dump.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
The BHF collected our 32" Sony CRT.  That was about a year ago.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

ian

« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:57:20 am »
If I recall they only wanted 30 inch or above. And possibly something manufactured this century.