Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422473 times)

mikewigley

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #150 on: 23 December, 2009, 09:42:20 am »
If you think you qualify for addition to the RRTY roll of honour in the AUK Handbook, please get in touch with me.  You need to have ridden a Brevet de Randonnee in each of any 12 consecutive months.  If you are listed at http://tinyurl.com/PeakAudaxRRtY you will be in the Handbook

Mike

« Reply #151 on: 23 December, 2009, 08:27:09 pm »
As soon as I get my December
Brecon 200 card from danial I'll email the details to you mike, ian

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #152 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:56:28 pm »
Just two days of December, and its raining...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #153 on: 29 December, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.

Anyone who gets their RRTY based on a ride in the latter half of December gets a  :thumbsup: from Teddy Roosevelt.

mikewigley

« Reply #154 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:59:36 pm »

Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty.

Anyone who gets their RRTY based on a ride in the latter half of December gets a  :thumbsup: from Teddy Roosevelt.

... but an orange badge isn't worth doing yourself some serious damage

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #155 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »

... but an orange badge isn't worth doing yourself some serious damage

That is why I managed to sneak 2 rides in the earlier part of the month.  It really is a matter of watching the weather and taking it on.

On the subject of which, we had a horrendously dismal (15cm of snow) forecast for today down in the Cotswolds; enough to keep anyone indoors.  But Ann Marshall and I committed to my new Stroud 5 Valleys 50km (1AAA) and managed a wet (+1-2deg ride) with a touch of sleet and wet snow in the last 1/2hr.  That keeps Ann on her AAARRTY and my first step on a new ladder. A superb little (4hr) ride for these short winter days.

It will be great to see the evenings drawing out......

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Chris S

« Reply #156 on: 30 December, 2009, 05:04:39 pm »
Could be this is going to be a tough winter for RRTY. The current forecast suggests cold or very cold weather (Sleet, Snow, hard frosts, freezing fog - usual mix) for the bulk of the country right through to mid January.

I'm just going to have to MTFU and get out there for a head down, A/B road blast to get the job done.

This is what RRTY is about. Well... this and trying to keep it, and a marriage going simultaneously ;).

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #157 on: 01 January, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »
The flatlanders are barking mad - a 200 tomorrow -Sat 2nd - apparently starting with a few hundreds yards walking as the lane at Chris's house is lethal.
Ah well - if Fboab and Chris can do it - it would get one of my Jan two done nice and early - so I shall  tag along as well.
Fingers crossed -
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

simonp

« Reply #158 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »
Good luck with that!  I am still in the frozen North, and shan't be returning to the Flatlands until Sunday.

Chris S

« Reply #159 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »
Good luck with that!  I am still in the frozen North, and shan't be returning to the Flatlands until Sunday.

It all got a bit daft in the end!

First half was brilliant - pale blue winter sky, sunshine, tailwinds and only a couple of icy patches to contend with. Warmer than expected too - around 0c probably. Just about managed to get to Wally's cafe in Acton in time for bacon sarnies, though eaten alfresco in the car park as Wally had to close up to catch his bus.

Things started to get complicated soon after that. Our planned route was icy-dicey and we had to turn back and take the A/B road alternative. There was nothing pleasant about cycling along the A1075 into Ipswich.
Fboab (already winning on the puncture count) needed to stop and thaw out her feet. Both Fidgetbuzz and Fboab had had problems with icy cleats and clipping in.
Then it started to snow. Then hail. Then rain. But as we left Debenham for Eye, the weather closed in good-and-proper (as it got dark) and by the time we reached Eye, the roads were starting to get slushy.
The section from Diss to Watton was just nuts. Heavy snow, another Fboab pothole induced puncture (it was tough to see the numerous potholes under the snow) and I was starting to get concerned that things were getting out of hand. Then Fboab had her first off on the snow. No physical harm done, but she was clearly shaken. On this section, there were also two cars in ditches who had failed to make it round bends in the road. Not good!

By this time both Fidgetbuzz and Fboab were riding Single Speed bikes as their cassettes were encased in ice and slush. I was already riding fixed, so didn't notice a thing  :thumbsup:.

We paused briefly in Attleborough. Mrs S was on standby should we need a pickup. The road out of Attleborough was very tricky - Fboab was on the deck again as Fidgetbuzz (now slowing himself as he was unable to clip in at all due to iced up cleats) and I rounded the bend to the A11 traffic lights. Again, no visible physical damage, but it was obvious the roads were becoming unridable.

The road through Great Ellingham, supposedly a gritted B road, clearly hadn't been gritted. The slush was compacted and deep. Our front tyres were digging in, causing us to skid all over the place. Fboab fell off again (this time with some cuts and grazes) and not surprisingly threw her toys out of the pram and decided not to go on. Who could blame her - it was properly stupid to be riding in those conditions.
We left Fboab with a delightful couple at a farmhouse. I called the cavalry (Mrs S) to come and collect her, and Fidgetbuzz and I pressed on.

We finally made it to the A1075 Watton road, and that was much cleaner. I was concerned that we might become the snowball centre of attention for a VAST crowd of teenagers by the traffic lights in Watton, but we got away with it.
The final 10km were slow, slushy and/or icy, and we were certainly glad to be back at S-Towers. Bloody slow audax though - 12:25!

Tomorrow I will be mostly staying indoors.

« Reply #160 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »
Poor fboab! You lot are nuts.

Chris S

« Reply #161 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »

I can but agree...  ::-)

« Reply #162 on: 03 January, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

Thank you.

You know that scene at the end of Indiana Jones when he and the bimbo his charming lady friend are on the boat, and he points at all his sore bits for her to kiss 'em better?

That's what I need right now.

(Also, the weather forecast is crap, when am I going to get my 200 in this month??)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #163 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
I'm going to clean the chain on the touring bike (the only bike with a rear QR) and recommission the turbo trainer today  :(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #164 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:45:04 am »
I'm going to clean the chain on the touring bike (the only bike with a rear QR) and recommission the turbo trainer today  :(

I'm not sure you can claim for a 200 ridden on a turbo, can you?  ;)

« Reply #165 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:45:47 am »
I'm going to clean the chain on the touring bike (the only bike with a rear QR) and recommission the turbo trainer today  :(

I'm not sure you can claim for a 200 ridden on a turbo, can you?  ;)
no you can't since you don't go anywhere.

« Reply #166 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »
A cycling friend of mine uses his turbo, his lap-top and I-League to race other riders.  In fact that is his main focus of cycling activity (saddo!).

Perhaps we could i-audax, using permanent routes on screen.  Turbo resistances could be replicated to represent those riding hills on AAA routes. You could even include virtual controls and cafes en-route. This could provide an alternative to the winter months of RRTY.

Shall I get my coat?
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #167 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:15:54 pm »
If we all agree a date, surely it would be a calendar i-audax. Then we could have a winner. :P

AJB

« Reply #168 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »
Mar 2009 The Upper Tea 200

Apr 2009 Hailsham (Venta) 300

May 2009 Essex Raid 200

Jun 2009 Faries Half-Flat 200

Jul 2009 Kent Corners 200

Aug 2009 El's 400

Sep 2009 Alan Furley's Up the Downs 200

Oct 2009 The WOW 200

Nov 2009 The Upper Thames 200

Dec 2009 Mince Pies and Stollen 100 + ECE 100

Jan 2010 El's Hailsham Liss 200

[Updated Jan 4th]

« Reply #169 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:07:44 am »
If you are like most other RRTY'ers, this current freezing cold snap will be driving you crazy. Well here is some news on warmer conditions coming our way this month - and hopefully some randonees too.

The medium range forecast provided by Wetterzentrale.de indicates warming weather during the later period of January.  Temperatures will remain below or at freezing point in the UK until Thursday 21st, from which temperatures will rise to about 7C down the middle and eastern sides of the British Isles and a giddy 10C to the far west.  Needless to stay, this may be accompanied by unstable weather conditions.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #170 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
I think this was supposed to be good news  :thumbsup: but not sure I can stand 2 more weeks off the bike  :'( Really don't want to risk breaking anything at this stage - summer coming etc!) Still, the 21st would leave 10 days of the month in which to fit January's RRTY ride  :) and there'll be a full moon to boot.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #171 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:20:01 am »
trying to get my contingency DIY200 approved is driving me crazy. Autoroute2008 doesn't calculate the same distances as Autoroute2004 and ViaMichelin. It's pretty much guess work unless I want to go massively overdistance which I don't at this time of year. The A1 is to blame, it's cycleable but I wouldn't use it during the day. Sooner it's all motorway the better. The GPS track business would save this.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #172 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:12:23 am »
Taking the contingency planning to the extreme: can anyone point me to a pre-approved Perm 200 that starts and finishes near a airport in a country that is a little milder this time of year?  ;)
(Flying anywhere right now is in itself an insane high-stress option, but beyond that I'd actually start to consider it for a descent chance to get out on the bike!!)

If only we'd done a 200 last Jan, RRTY #1 would be in the bag now......  :-\

« Reply #173 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:17:30 am »
Taking the contingency planning to the extreme: can anyone point me to a pre-approved Perm 200 that starts and finishes near a airport in a country that is a little milder this time of year?  ;)

I am ashamed to say this had also crossed my mind...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #174 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »
AUK - The Long Distance Travel association
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles