Author Topic: Any worthwhile alternatives to Marathon Supreme for a fast tourer?  (Read 5808 times)

Re: Any worthwhile alternatives to Marathon Supreme for a fast tourer?
« Reply #25 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:48:18 pm »
What the OP needs is what Ivo has on his randonneuse that he had at Limoges the other day. 32mm section, reasonably solid and looked to be quite quick. Unfortunately I forgot to note what they were and where he got them.

I had Paselas in 26x1.5. The sidewalls are thin but not that fragile in spite of it. I damaged the sidewalls of my first pair by forgetting to reset the height of the brake blocks when switching between off road tyres and the Paselas (rims different widths). In spite of that the tyres never blew out! I replaced them with Vittoria Randonneurs in the same size. As has been indicated these are nothing like as lively. Normal, they weigh very nearly the double of the Paselas. They are also very durable. They took me round one BCMF but I gave up on trying to wear them out and gave them away just to get rid of them. I now have another set of Paselas (although they are resting, I have 650Bx32 Hutchinsons on it now) 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 14 June, 2019, 11:25:31 pm »
I'm sure the GP5000s are very nice, but perhaps too fragile for everyday commuting/shopping etc. use (or touring?). Hence why I was thinking of the GP 4 Seasons as a sort of compromise

You'd be surprised. I commuted through central Amsterdam all summer last summer on GP4000s ii in 28mm, only time I had flats was when I toured through Denmark, where the flints on the road were a total utter plague. In Belgium, France, and Netherlands, I had no flats at all touring and audaxing.

When I get a new job, I'll also be commuting on GP5000s in summer, with GP 4 seasons in winter. The difference between the two is noticeable. Swapping from GP 4 seasons to summer tyres in the spring is like suddenly taking a brake off.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2019, 11:23:29 am »
earlier this week I noticed a thread pulling out of the sidewall of another GP4S
All Continental tyres are prone to loose threads - they come from a fabric strip that gets put on just above the bead to protect the tyre structure from damage by the rim hook.
Just snip them off with scissors.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2019, 11:28:42 am »
That's what I did.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2019, 09:13:17 pm »
I'm sure the GP5000s are very nice, but perhaps too fragile for everyday commuting/shopping etc. use (or touring?). Hence why I was thinking of the GP 4 Seasons as a sort of compromise

You'd be surprised. I commuted through central Amsterdam all summer last summer on GP4000s ii in 28mm, only time I had flats was when I toured through Denmark, where the flints on the road were a total utter plague. In Belgium, France, and Netherlands, I had no flats at all touring and audaxing.

When I get a new job, I'll also be commuting on GP5000s in summer, with GP 4 seasons in winter. The difference between the two is noticeable. Swapping from GP 4 seasons to summer tyres in the spring is like suddenly taking a brake off.

J

I have used gp4s year round for the last few years, might  see if I can find some 4000s or 5000s at reasonable price now
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #30 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:33:20 am »
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

I have used these for just under two years for deliveroo in 28mm. Not one stoppage. The grip is good. They are heavy (590g each) but that doesn't bother me. I'm going to get another set in 32mm for my ride to Spain in autumn. Wire bead only so no tubelessness but they are also very easy to fit.

Wiggle are selling these for £13.99.  Thats much much cheaper than when I bought my 1st one last year.

Edited to add, I see planetX are doing them for same price.  I thought I'd uncovered a bargain last night but seems not really.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #31 on: 12 July, 2019, 06:05:19 pm »
Mark wins every time.

I am doing the Orbital tomorrow with a set of 31mm Vittoria Terreno G+ Drys, I have high hopes for them as touring tyres as they're reportedly robust but also well rolling. Not cheap though (£40 each from my LBS which was a small discount). They are specced as dry gravel tyres.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.