Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389742 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2650 on: 21 July, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »
GN: my boy and his partner is moving to the Angles after a several of years in THAT LONDON
MGN: they are looting, at least initially, for a home in our town.
BN: any nebulous plans we have to run away from brexit to Scotlandland are now put on hold.

BN: we still have Brexshit in Scotlandland
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2651 on: 21 July, 2020, 08:41:28 pm »
Looting or looking?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2652 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:20:48 pm »
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2653 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:22:21 pm »
GN: my boy and his partner is moving to the Angles after a several of years in THAT LONDON
MGN: they are looting, at least initially, for a home in our town.
BN: any nebulous plans we have to run away from brexit to Scotlandland are now put on hold.

BN: we still have Brexshit in Scotlandland
Yes, but there is a concerted effort by the devolved leadership to try and minimise the impact, unlike the tosses in Westminster.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2654 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:25:34 pm »
Come, and bring your offspring too and agitate for a Yes vote then :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2655 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »
What currency are you planning? Do I need to start investing in haggis, neeps, and tatties future?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2656 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:57:25 am »
Is there still support for a "Coalition of the Sane" in That Scotland, viz. Scotland, Canada & New Zealand?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2657 on: 27 July, 2020, 12:11:56 pm »
BN: I bought a macbook air for work 2 months ago. It was awful - couldn't cope with video calls without the noisy fan kicking in, really slow switching between apps, laggy in excel and powerpoint.  Phone support was well meaning but didn't actually change anything.

GN: Went into the apple store over the weekend and within 5 mins of talking through the problem she agreed it wasn't working out for me the way it should be and swapped it for a macbook pro completely free, even though it cost about 300 quid more.   She did all the data transfer too. It's been great on this mornings video calls and havent heard the fan once yet.

I suspect there are 'known issues' with the noise of the fan of the Air, so worth a trip to the store if you're suffering too!

« Reply #2658 on: 27 July, 2020, 12:23:21 pm »
Sounds like a result  :thumbsup:
I've had a Macbook Air since January or thereabouts.
Can't say that I've noticed any noisy fan problems - but I don't use it for video-con - or any of the other problems you've mentioned.
Maybe they'd sold you a Friday afternoon model.
Nice to get the upgrade thobut.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2659 on: 27 July, 2020, 01:12:05 pm »
My MacBook Air was really noisy fanwise in the heatwave at the end of June but has been quiet since.
David replaced the dead hard drive in his old iMac over the weekend. This was supplied with a trial version of some temperature regulating software, which ran for a whole 60 minutes before expiring, causing fans to roar.
Machine went silent after software payment had reactivated program.

« Reply #2660 on: 27 July, 2020, 02:02:46 pm »
I suspect there are 'known issues' with the noise of the fan of the Air, so worth a trip to the store if you're suffering too!

Interesting. What spec was yours? Mine is the i5 and seems to cope with everything pretty well, certainly no noticeable lag. However, Teams does get the fan going, but not alarmingly so.

ian

« Reply #2661 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:39:15 am »
The only thing that ever makes fans audible in my Mac laptops is video conferencing or the late unlamented Flash. It really needs something to get CPUs up to 100% for a while. My office gets up into the 30s on hot days.

If the fans are running all the time, it sounds like a controller fault (sometimes resetting it does the job). But generally, you shouldn't hear the fans in a Mac, silences is one of the pleasures of the modern Apple world.

« Reply #2662 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »

Interesting. What spec was yours? Mine is the i5 and seems to cope with everything pretty well, certainly no noticeable lag. However, Teams does get the fan going, but not alarmingly so.

it was the i5, 16GB so should have been fine, perhaps it was a Friday special.   Either way, the pro is awesome :)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2663 on: 31 July, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
Hurrah: newly-acquired fondleslab is set up :thumbsup:

Bah: the keyboard layout is different from the old one so I can't find the "[" or "~" keys any more >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Hurrah/Bah
« Reply #2664 on: 18 August, 2020, 02:01:32 pm »
Thames Water are digging up Larrington Towers Road all week.

Hurrah: no buses waking me up at audax o’clock :thumbsup:

Bah: no buses to waft me to 'stow Central to go to the opticians >:(

« Reply #2665 on: 18 August, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »
BN: My Mallorca trip's just been cancelled for the second time this year (originally April, then October).

GN: Probably a blessing in disguise considering my total lack of cycling this year (I'd need an ebike to get up Sa Calobra these days!), and I should be able to reschedule for next April...third time lucky, perhaps?!

« Reply #2666 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:55:23 pm »
Good news.  I have ridden my bike to a campsite.  I am inna tent .

Bad news. God I’m out of shape & practice. It was only a short ride so I didn’t leave until mid afternoon.  That’ll be why I didn’t get here until after dark (I made a navigation error as well, a few miles the wrong way on a canal towpath.   Too tired to cook, luckily I had some fruit loaf  , I’ve drunk large amounts of liquids as well.   Shower needs coins & I’ve got none.

Time for bed zzzzz...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2667 on: 21 October, 2020, 08:36:33 pm »
I was looking again the other day at the Brewdog Advent Calendar. Didn't get round to ordering it because I got distracted by dinnertime.

Good thing too because my lovely partner had only gone and ordered one the first time I spotted them and ummed and ahhed over buying one. It arrived today whilst I was out for a run.

The bad news being I've got to resist opening it till December!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2668 on: 22 October, 2020, 03:18:02 pm »
BN: Quest HD failed to record Stage 15 of il Giro - had 45 min. of polychromatic stick-ball & ads. then 15 min. of race with a 5 min. break.
GN: ITV4 is showing a 2-week-behind summary so I can have another go. Judging by the change at the top, it was an interesting stage (as most of this year's has been).

BN: a few weeks ago Imagine... on BBC had the Kanneh-Masons on and I didn't realise until about half of it had passed.
GN: It's on in a week's time; recording set.
It's really one of the most extraordinary and admirable families in the whole world and Potters Bar - and the older girls, Isata especially, are gorgeous - several orders of magnitude out of my league though!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #2669 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:36:55 pm »
GN: I've started the process of buying a new-build house
GN: It's out in the sticks
BN: It's out in the sticks
GN: We had a sneak preview today and managed to get into the back garden where I found a shed, small I grnt you, but still...
BN: It's smaller than I thought, but still all my own
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2670 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:26:37 pm »
Are you sure the shed is not the loo?  :demon:

Many years ago I visited a new build flat. It only gradually dawned that the internal doors were absent.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2671 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »
Are you sure the shed is not the loo?  :demon:

Many years ago I visited a new build flat. It only gradually dawned that the internal doors were absent.

Yep - an old trick - and there's usually a 4ft (!!!) "double" bed in the main bedroom . . .  and photos are always with very short people in them . .

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2672 on: 26 October, 2020, 08:44:40 am »
First job after moving in:build a bigger shed. As he had the space, my brother built a 20'x40' shed in one 'garden' (also planted a few hundred trees). Having worked on farms a lot the job took just a few days - it'd take me a month and some of the neighbours' gardens!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2673 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:25:08 pm »
BN: Saturday morning I found that the elastic cord in the hood of my favourite purple Ilsa Jacobsen raincoat was falling to bits.
GN: Saturday afternoon while I was having another purge of tat I found an envelope of just the right sort of elastic I don't remember purchasing.
BN: It's black, not purple
GN: After a bit of a problem putting it in tonight I eventually got it all sorted.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2674 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:51:06 pm »
BN: Quest HD failed to record Stage 15 of il Giro - had 45 min. of polychromatic stick-ball & ads. then 15 min. of race with a 5 min. break.
GN: ITV4 is showing a 2-week-behind summary so I can have another go. Judging by the change at the top, it was an interesting stage (as most of this year's has been).

BN: a few weeks ago Imagine... on BBC had the Kanneh-Masons on and I didn't realise until about half of it had passed.
GN: It's on in a week's time; recording set.
It's really one of the most extraordinary and admirable families in the whole world and Potters Bar - and the older girls, Isata especially, are gorgeous - several orders of magnitude out of my league though!

You are old enough to be their GRANDFATHER.

I think they did a family concert at the Barbican very recently, which I missed.

You might find a recording online...