Author Topic: Windowledge food  (Read 2398 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Windowledge food
« on: 29 March, 2008, 05:38:20 pm »
Live in a flat so there is no fenced garden (Bloody 70's open plan!)
What could I grow indoors on a windowledge?
Somebody mentioned sprouting seeds etc but it didn't register so am open to any ideas. Would be nice to make a meal that I had grown a bit of.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: Windowledge food
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:28:53 pm »
Chillies are ok on a windowsill - but can get a bit big (30-60cm) though can be kept nipped back a bit.  You can probably do salad leaves ok too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:55:38 am »
Radishes, of course - and you could manage baby carrots (though not many).

Tomatoes are possible, but I always found them a terrible faff, and not much produce  :-[  (my Grandad used to have a greenhouse bursting with them...)
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »
Salad leaves will do fine; as will kitchen herbs (basil, mint, parsley, chives, rosemary, sage...).  Tomatoes will grow in pots but you'd need a reasonable-sized pot.  There's quite a lot of container gardening info available online - the only limitation is the size of your windowsills! 

Could you put in a window box?  Those are a bit bigger.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:51:31 pm »
I Think the Herbs will win. Couldn't use a window box as I live in a council flat in an area that it'd get ripped off the walls for the fun of it by some lovely lo9cal yoof on their way home from town at night.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!