Author Topic: EuroVelo 15, the Rhine route  (Read 6400 times)

Re: EuroVelo 15, the Rhine route
« Reply #25 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:53:32 am »
I've done the Rhine route from Mainz down to the sea. Not ridden upstream from Mainz but I guess it would be similar.

Anyway, the thing is that the surface of the Rhine route varies considerably from place to place. Sometimes it's nice smooth tarmac, at other times cobbles or sometimes completely unsurfaced. It goes through towns and cities where the surface is good but can be busy with other people whilst in the countryside it's quiet but the surface is very variable. It's really a route designed for touring not racing.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #26 on: 25 February, 2017, 02:41:45 pm »
I've done the Rhine route from Mainz down to the sea. Not ridden upstream from Mainz but I guess it would be similar.

Anyway, the thing is that the surface of the Rhine route varies considerably from place to place. Sometimes it's nice smooth tarmac, at other times cobbles or sometimes completely unsurfaced. It goes through towns and cities where the surface is good but can be busy with other people whilst in the countryside it's quiet but the surface is very variable. It's really a route designed for touring not racing.

Thanks for the feedback.
that doesn't actually discount utilising some of the trail. I'll have gravel/trail capable tyres, and if there are sections where I can push the pace, then roll more slowly through busier sections, that will suit my game plan. Its a long race (two weeks plus) so being able to ride sections away from busy roads will be good for the mind and the soul. Smooth tarmac isn't a must. There are bike trails that I'm more familiar with down through the Dolomites that I'll be utilising later in the race too that are a combo of smooth and gravel, but I've not cycled the Rhine region at all so don't really have a reading of whats on offer. If its a case of the trail busying up through the day, I could cruise the early hours along the route then bounce out onto the main drag once the crowds turn up.  If the trail is littered with bollards and gates etc then maybe its a no-go.
often lost.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #27 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:32:57 am »
It's quite fiddly with th lots of corners, junctions etc. But more significant are the sections with dog walkers and other cyclists - mostly slow German pootlers. Maintaining 25kph might be rather dangerous because of the busyness of the route.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: 27 February, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »
Thank AH.
 Your blog pics were useful to get a reading on the trail.
I'll probably utilise the path pre dawn then bounce out once the traffic pics up.
most helpful.

often lost.

« Reply #29 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:34:51 pm »
Well I've just spent the day prepping the bikes and getting all the gear packed up ready for the ferry on Thursday.  I'm on a train to King's Cross now for 3 days working in that there London. As will eventually be illustrated after I've posted some photos we have a mind boggling amount of stuff. Thorn tandem has 4 panniers, 30L rack bag & bar bag. Isla Bike has 2 panniers, small rack pack & bar bag. The Helios is in cargo bike mode and has 4 panniers and massive holdall on the cargo rack.

Quite exessive by the standards of anyone of this parish however Mrs B and our 15 year old daughter were quite horrified at the suggestion that 'surely you can live out of one pannier for 3 weeks?' So now we each have 1 large and 1 small pannier for personal stuff. Tents, matts, bags, kitchen kit and other such gubbins occupy the holdalls and 2 remaining panniers.  Oh and we're also carrying the bits nessesary to convert the Helios back into tandem mode for our week at the Tandem Rally in Germany.

All I need to do now is get some open source maps for Holland and Germany onto the Garmin.