Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 845430 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5875 on: 26 November, 2020, 08:46:16 am »

There's a TV series on UK TV at the moment called "Britain's Most Historic Towns"

At least the series is not called "Britain's Historickest Towns"

FTFY
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5876 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:14:15 pm »
Not really grammar but I really don't like it when technical terms are a mixture of Latin and Greek.

David gave a talk on the Society for Popular Astronomy's live lockdown show this evening  He was in a shed so we couldn't communicate directly. He points out the dark patch on Mars, known as the Mare Erythraeum and knows mare = sea (Latin) but is stuck on erythraeum (Greek, Latinised).

I posted in the 'Chat'...

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5877 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:43:45 am »
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5878 on: 28 November, 2020, 09:45:18 am »
Not really grammar but I really don't like it when technical terms are a mixture of Latin and Greek.

I remember John Wyndham remarking on that in a 1960 novel, Trouble with Lichen.

I got annoyed yesterday with a YT chappie who explained terms such as hypokalaemia in detail then talked about "a bacteria".

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5879 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:31:20 am »

David gave a talk on the Society for Popular Astronomy's live lockdown show this evening  He was in a shed so we couldn't communicate directly. He points out the dark patch on Mars, known as the Mare Erythraeum and knows mare = sea (Latin) but is stuck on erythraeum (Greek, Latinised).

I posted in the 'Chat'...

I'm reminded of the old classic

"Polyamory is wrong! you Shouldn't mix latin and greek like this..."

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5880 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:47:01 am »
According to my dictionary historic means “famous or important in history”. Nothing wrong with some towns being historicer, meaning famouser or importanter than others.
This is why I am troubled by the word used in front of "sex crimes".  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5881 on: 28 November, 2020, 07:06:34 pm »

There's a TV series on UK TV at the moment called "Britain's Most Historic Towns"

At least the series is not called "Britain's Historicest Towns"
Now “Britain’s Most Hysteric Towns”, I’d watch that.

(ETA: I do actually watch Britain’s Most Historic Towns, almost as much for the content as for the presenter)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5882 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:35:40 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythraean_Sea

Given that an erythrocyte is a red blood cell and we docs use the term a fair bit, I didn't need to look anything up...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5883 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:49:26 pm »
According to my dictionary historic means “famous or important in history”. Nothing wrong with some towns being historicer, meaning famouser or importanter than others.
This is why I am troubled by the word used in front of "sex crimes".  :-\

I gave a slightly more expansive definition:
'Historic' means more than just 'happened in the past' - because after all, not every past event is deemed worthy of being recorded in the history books. There's an element of fame (or infamy) and importance implied.

Besides, 'famous' and 'important' don't necessarily always have positive connotations.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5884 on: 29 November, 2020, 11:41:29 am »
'Unbeknownst'

How has this ugly, unwieldy archaicism endured? It conveys no meaning that is not contained within the perfectly functional everyday word 'unknown' in half as many syllables. I can't think of an instance I have ever encountered where 'unbeknownst' could not be replaced with 'unknown'.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5885 on: 29 November, 2020, 11:54:30 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythraean_Sea

Given that an erythrocyte is a red blood cell and we docs use the term a fair bit, I didn't need to look anything up...
I like the idea of the name being Latinized-Greekified Tamil though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #5886 on: 29 November, 2020, 05:13:05 pm »
'Unbeknownst'

How has this ugly, unwieldy archaicism endured? It conveys no meaning that is not contained within the perfectly functional everyday word 'unknown' in half as many syllables. I can't think of an instance I have ever encountered where 'unbeknownst' could not be replaced with 'unknown'.

I quite like the word. If you look at it for a bit, what a collection of letters they are. Each of them swaggering like an expanded version of alphabetty Reservoir Dogs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5887 on: 29 November, 2020, 05:26:43 pm »
Good point there. You've got a rare 4-letter consonant cluster backed up by two 3-ers.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #5888 on: 29 November, 2020, 05:35:21 pm »
Not sure that this belongs here, but it does seem eminently cringeworthy, so just to get it off my chest...

Recently I saw an email where one francophone was seeking to assure a colleague, also a francophone, of his readiness to tackle a job - "Je suis dans les starting-blocks ...".  Surely, to French ears, that must sound, well, foreign? I doubt the Académie Française would approve.

I suppose we might say (not quite synonymously) 'on the qui vive' . . .

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5889 on: 29 November, 2020, 05:39:11 pm »
Possibly sounds less foreign to them.
Locution verbale dérivée de l'anglais. Employés en athlétisme, les startings blocks désignent un appareil où les pieds des sprinteurs sont disposés, de façon à pouvoir réagir immédiatement après le top départ. Par extension, cette expression signifie qu'une personne se tient à l'affût pour réagir le plus vite possible après un signal.
http://www.linternaute.fr/expression/langue-francaise/14434/etre-dans-les-starting-blocks/
Many examples here: https://www.linguee.com/french-english/translation/dans+les+starting+blocks.html

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #5890 on: 29 November, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
Thanks, Cudzo.  It does look as if its use is quite common in French, although I'd never seen it written down before. Shouldn't surprise me really, although you'd think maybe there'd be scope to create a word using the resources of their own language? 

On the other hand:  peloton, domestique, savoir faire (and many others) are quite handy in English, and I've made good use of schadenfreude recently when looking across the pond . . .  ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5891 on: 30 November, 2020, 11:02:51 pm »
'Unbeknownst'

There are unbeknownst instances to you - how would you know  ???

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5892 on: 02 December, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
And better make sure you have a good dump - if it's captured then the probing will be less messy.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #5893 on: 02 December, 2020, 03:32:43 pm »
Heard from an American colleague this morning, the verb  "taxonomize", not related to anything biological. Classify would have worked.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5894 on: 02 December, 2020, 03:45:13 pm »
That's what taxonomologists do.

« Reply #5895 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:02:48 pm »
And surely the results of their work will be taxonomologisations.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5896 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:54:11 pm »
"Taxonomy" carries an implication of the structure being composed of meaningful words. Classification systems can be )alpha-numerical or otherwise devoid of inherent meanings. I started working on taxonomies and classification systems as a young information scientist, but find them still important now in Web sites.

However, I'm not convinced that "taxonomise" is itself a meaningful word. I'm not sure how you could convert something into a taxonomy if it were not one in the first place. Unless of course the speaker were confusing the items that were being classified with the taxonomy structure itself, and suggesting that the former were being "taxonomised". But that's rather the same point as about "hospitalisation" which, logically, does not mean "being taken to hospital", but "being converted into a hospital."

ian

« Reply #5897 on: 02 December, 2020, 10:01:53 pm »
Sometimes, I like to sit back and ontologificate things.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5898 on: 03 December, 2020, 10:13:52 am »
"Taxonomy" carries an implication of the structure being composed of meaningful words. Classification systems can be )alpha-numerical or otherwise devoid of inherent meanings. I started working on taxonomies and classification systems as a young information scientist, but find them still important now in Web sites.

However, I'm not convinced that "taxonomise" is itself a meaningful word. I'm not sure how you could convert something into a taxonomy if it were not one in the first place. Unless of course the speaker were confusing the items that were being classified with the taxonomy structure itself, and suggesting that the former were being "taxonomised". But that's rather the same point as about "hospitalisation" which, logically, does not mean "being taken to hospital", but "being converted into a hospital."

In a wee while hospitalize will also mean go to hospital, as the passive is gradually ironed out of the language. "Where's Fred?" "Oh, he hospitalized with the Rona".  A bit after that he'll be crematorializing.  Of course, he might avoid all that by vaccinating.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5899 on: 03 December, 2020, 10:19:05 am »

In a wee while hospitalize will also mean go to hospital, as the passive is gradually ironed out of the language. "Where's Fred?" "Oh, he hospitalized with the Rona".  A bit after that he'll be crematorializing.  Of course, he might avoid all that by vaccinating vaccinationalizing.

FTFY :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime