Author Topic: GoPro boom attachment  (Read 1317 times)

GoPro boom attachment
« on: 11 July, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »
I am trying to record operations on a GoPro.  The lens is fine and I have wired power and HDMI out to a small monitor. My problem is that the Boom on which the overhead GoPro is mounted is not always looking where I am.  If the boom comes from the opposite side then it is often 90 degrees out, etc.  I know that i can change orientation in FCP but it is not lossless.

I am looking for something i can attach to my carbon fibre boom and which will allow the GoPro to rotate through a 360 degree circle so that wherever the boom comes from I can orientate the GoPro how I want it.

As a stretch if it also had a lighweight X/Y motor to allow staff to move the GoPro that would be fantastic.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: GoPro boom attachment
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »
Nothing helpful to offer, but *OOOOHing* at exciting surgery recording! That sounds fascinating and really useful for all sorts of things.

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:49:18 pm »
You could probably do something with a DJI Osmo. It's essentially the type of gimbal they use in drones, but handheld, so could be boom-mounted.

https://www.dji.com/osmo

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:58:51 pm »
There are apps which allow you to track action from a moving camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEg9eykq-Yo

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2018, 02:43:07 pm »
Thanks ESL, I had thought about that.  I may still buy one just because I want one!  That provides stability but that is not my problem as the system is extremely stable with the boom.

I think what I am wanting is a 90degree connector from the boom to a rotating head with another 90 degree connector for the GoPro

Baratka, yes my aim is to produce a library of patient and surgeon teaching videos before I retire covering the majority of Hand Surgery.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »
Some sort of tripod head? eg a ball head would let you rotate in most directions.

Or a bendable arm? eg GoPro gooseneck. https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/gooseneck/ACMFN-001.html
Or a Manfrotto friction arm. https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/photo-variable-friction-arm-with-bracket

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:09:40 pm »
Fuaran you are a genius.  That gooseneck is the low tech, cheap way to do exactly what I want.  Thank you

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2018, 02:04:55 pm »
The Manfrotto Magic Arm is the choice in TV-land.  Get the wheel-lock one rather than the cam-locked one, as it's easier to lock - you have to move the cam over it's high point, and this often makes the arm move suddenly, knocking it out of the position you've just set up.  The wheel-lock is much smoother.  They're good for a couple of kilos at least, and we put all kinds of lights or camera mounts on them.

They'll probably need a fitting to hold the GoPro, as it doesn't come with a tripod screw.  We've used the little perspex waterproof housings before now, and put a K-clamp onto the arm, and then we just hold the whole thing in the jaws of the clamp.

For something lighter, Noga also make similar arms which we use for Lilliput monitors.  They often come pre-fitted with tripod (1/4"x20) or mic stand (3/8x16) screws, and will easily take a GoPro.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2018, 02:09:55 pm »
Thanks ESL, I had thought about that.  I may still buy one just because I want one!  That provides stability but that is not my problem as the system is extremely stable with the boom.

I was mainly answering this part of your question.

As a stretch if it also had a lighweight X/Y motor to allow staff to move the GoPro that would be fantastic.

The DJI Osmo and a tablet running the app I suggested would fulfil your requirement.