Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100952 times)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: The Dean
« Reply #50 on: 20 March, 2016, 10:21:15 pm »
A great but tough day out, massive thanks to the Hackney boys for organising. I've done a write up of my ride here https://simonscycling.wordpress.com/2016/03/20/the-dean-300km/

« Reply #51 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »
Great write-up, brakeless. I'd have had beans on toast and a pot of tea at the Newent tea room if I'd been there.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #52 on: 21 March, 2016, 06:54:19 pm »
Good ride,
Good organisation,
Good company,

Arthur
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #53 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:19:05 pm »
Whilst not at the top of the spectacular list, there's a bit of everything on The Dean and it's a great way to kick start the longer distances after the Winter.  Just a shame the sun didn't shine on the banks of Primrose and I didn't have an extra layer against that cold headwind.  It's also noticeable how much the UK's road surfaces are suffering under the pressure of austerity.  Thanks to ACH for the excellent and enthusiastic organisation and particular for the warming reception back at Peartree.  It was a tough day on the bike but must have been even tougher sitting in a car park all day!

« Reply #54 on: 31 March, 2016, 05:56:44 am »
Many thanks to Audax Club Hackney for organising.  The Dean is the ride I have ridden the most of all audaxes.  I'm keen to get into double figures now and might do a midsummer DIY by GPS edition.  It's such a fantastic and varied route.

MyBlog
MyPhotos

« Reply #55 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:18:19 pm »
Hi there

I did the Dean on March 19th, absolutely beautiful ride, the section through the Forest of Dean was stunning. And proud of completing my first 300k. Feeling a little anxious though about lack of results on aukweb... should we be concerned?

Thanks
Rob

simonp

« Reply #56 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:27:20 pm »
I assume there's a delay due to the optional postal finish.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #57 on: 07 April, 2016, 05:46:08 pm »
Hello folks
We needed to wait for 14-days after the event due to the postal finish.  I would have rather got it out of the way much earlier but it wouldn't be fair to have completed the finish list before time.  Ivan and I will have the finish list completed on Saturday 09-Apr-2016
J

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #58 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
Hello Folks
the finish list was completed
Sorry for the slight delay - I had been helping on The Shark

J

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:13:32 pm »
Can we expect the Perm to be sorted out this evening?

:-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #60 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:29:45 am »
Perm application sent  :thumbsup:

« Reply #61 on: 13 October, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »
Is The Dean running again in 2017?
Really enjoyed (type 2 fun) the route and the challenge.
LFCC

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #62 on: 13 October, 2016, 11:44:30 pm »
All I can remember of the ride is wondering if my bike would be nicked at Membury. And wondering if I would care. Such a tough section between Marlborough and the control.

Lively route though, just wish I had taken more photos. And we'll organised last year. WI'll have to think about whether to do it again next year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #63 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:48:13 pm »
ACH is pleased to announce that The Dean is scheduled for 25-Mar-2017

However, this year the rewards won't be quite the same as those years previous.  The AAA has been recalculated and will be reduced to more accurately reflect the climbing in the ride.  It will apparently be reduced to 2.5AAA!

Save Our Dean

What to do?
- 'Beef it up' a bit to bring it  back to it's former glory?
- Construct a DeAAAn to run alongside the classic route?
Or just
- Leave it alone as a timeless classic that should never be tampered with?

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #64 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »

This! I did it last year for the first time, and found it tough enough, especially as it is so early in the season.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #65 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:16:49 pm »
ACH is pleased to announce that The Dean is scheduled for 25-Mar-2017

However, this year the rewards won't be quite the same as those years previous.  The AAA has been recalculated and will be reduced to more accurately reflect the climbing in the ride.  It will apparently be reduced to 2.5AAA!

Save Our Dean

What to do?
- 'Beef it up' a bit to bring it  back to it's former glory?
- Construct a DeAAAn to run alongside the classic route?
Or just

Agreed. There is no former glory just a passing abberation of how the route is assessed.

The Dean is a classic route and plenty tough enough for an early season 300km. More is not always more..

« Reply #66 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:08:32 pm »
Or just

This, please!

« Reply #67 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:47:24 pm »
Create a 'Bastard Child of the Dean' to attract the previous AAA points, if and only if the org can be arsed.

BUT most definitely leave 'The Dean' as it is., AAA points reduction or not. People ride that route because they like it. Not because of a bit of AAA.   That route performs a function of a testing early season 300, that can still be ridden in all but thd most horrendous weather.

simonp

« Reply #68 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
Going from 0 to 4AAA was a bit of a debacle. What's caused the revision this time?

« Reply #69 on: 14 October, 2016, 05:00:41 pm »
Keep The Dean. Never mind AAA points.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #70 on: 14 October, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
Going from 0 to 4AAA was a bit of a debacle. What's caused the revision this time?

An overactive gland

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #71 on: 14 October, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »
I think two routes would be good. As Andy has shown with his hard northern rides there is an appetite for stupidly hard rides.

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #72 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:21:12 pm »
So what does that mean.  A whole series of info controls on the top of various Downs  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:32:36 pm »
"keen" riders could just do multiple reps of Cumnor Hill at the end of the ride until they turn blue.

(Is that still a way to claim AAA points via GPX? I don't keep up with such things... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #74 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:38:04 pm »
I have never ridden an event just to gather AAA points.  I couldn't even say, without looking, what AAA my own events merit.  I had assumed the Dean was pointless (and yes, I have ridden it).