Author Topic: Any archers among us?  (Read 19357 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Any archers among us?
« Reply #100 on: 09 September, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »
We found two and half bows when clearing out my father's garage. One was recurve from some sorts of GRP. The other was a longbow, which from the lustre of the varnish may have been bought from the 1937 Gamages catalogue. The half was a long bow kit consisting of two pieces of yew.

My BiL had a go, but found they were too strong for him, so they were passed on to the club in Hereford.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

LEE

« Reply #101 on: 24 November, 2013, 11:42:25 pm »
Well, after a year of "Target Panic" (many archers will know what this psychological affliction is, as will some darts players, golfers, snooker players..and so on), I am finally on the road to recovery with some "personal bests" on a regular basis now.

It's been a very tough year, forcing myself not to quit the sport (many do), but I think I may get through it.

Anyone who hasn't experienced the extremely strange phenomenon of being posessed by something who wants to destroy your Archery (golf/darts/snooker...etc) ability will never understand just how extremely weird and frustrating this is.

LEE

« Reply #102 on: 02 December, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »
N+1

PSE Stinger.  60lb max draw weight (currently feels like it may pull my shoulder out but I'll man-up hopefully). Test certificate says 314 feet/sec.

Shot a few test arrows at my garage target.  What a brute of a bow.  It's club night tonight...can't wait to try it at 20 yards (even though it's too brutal for my current arrows).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 02 December, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »
Nice.  I haz a jealous.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #104 on: 02 December, 2013, 04:24:36 pm »
Nice training wheels!   ;)

LEE

« Reply #105 on: 02 December, 2013, 04:26:33 pm »
Nice.  I haz a jealous.

They are a great price at Bow Sports of Wolverhampton. 

« Reply #106 on: 03 December, 2013, 06:48:02 pm »
Interestingly, laser sights are growing in popularity for some applications.

Hows that work then given that light travels in a completely straight line (well as near straight as to make no difference here) and arrows don't so it cant be simple laser dot sight.  An arrow wont hit where the laser dot hits. Unless you can get cunning self steering arrows that hit a lased target like a helfire missile - which would be cool.
Any idea on how the laser sight works ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 03 December, 2013, 06:49:58 pm »
Presumably the same way that a laser sight for a gun works?  I assume you adjust it to compensate for the arc of the projectile at a given range?

LEE

« Reply #108 on: 03 December, 2013, 07:49:56 pm »
Presumably the same way that a laser sight for a gun works?  I assume you adjust it to compensate for the arc of the projectile at a given range?

Exactly so.  No different to any other sight. 

Even if a bullet or arrow travelled in a straight line you'd still need to compensate for distance, even with a laser sight (depending on how far from the muzzle/arrow you mounted the laser).

That's the counter-intuitive part of rifle shooting, especially with a big "Scope".  Bullets initially fly low, then they cross your line-of-sight, then they fly high, then they cross line-of-sight again.  When you adjust a sigh for elevation you are moving, forwards/backwards, the point(s) when the projectile crosses the line-of-sight by raising/lowering the gun barrel.  The sight never changes, that stays pointing at the target, it's the weapon underneath that moves.

Nobody ever shot anyone far away by aiming directly at them.

I suppose you could get clever with a Laser gun, Laser sight and some mirrors to create a "point-directly-at-it" weapon.

When all else fails, especially in Archery at 100 yards, you just aim at a distant tree, above what you want to hit.  If you hit the target then keep aiming at the same bit of tree.  If not, aim at a different bit of tree.  If you actually hit the distant tree then you are probably shooting a Compound bow.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #109 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:01:23 am »
You could have an optical rangefinder coupled to the sight compensation.  Or simply use the laser to measure the distance and use an algorithm to adjust. 
Getting there...

« Reply #110 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:02:48 am »
You could have an optical rangefinder coupled to the sight compensation.  Or simply use the laser to measure the distance and use an algorithm to adjust.

Wouldn't work for Archery. You have to compensate for shooting up or downhill as well as for distance and windage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #111 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:06:12 am »
Clinometer helps for the elevation, though competition shooting is usually on the flat in this country (where laser sights are probably not allowed anyway).  I'm aware that any sighting needs to account for wind, and that is adjusted by creating an offset lined in by the first arrows.
Getting there...

« Reply #112 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:21:58 am »
'target' competition is at set distances - no rangefinder needed.

Field archery is over varied terrain and I think there is an 'unlimited' class (the HPV of archery).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #113 on: 04 December, 2013, 12:45:31 pm »
'target' competition is at set distances - no rangefinder needed.

Field archery is over varied terrain and I think there is an 'unlimited' class (the HPV of archery).

Field Archery is the most "real world". I've not tried it yet but I've tried the Air Rifle equivalent (Hunter Field target - HFT) and the concept is similar.  You aren't told the distance to the target, you aren't allowed to use a range-finder, the terrain is far from flat, the wind is changing constantly as you wander around the course and so you are using more skills than just perfect target technique which, for some (good) people, is just an aiming exercise.

Actually the more I write about it the more I'm interested in trying it.

Image stolen from Lara Croft Charlotte's previous post.  Poor Yogi.

« Reply #114 on: 04 December, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
I used to hunt small game in Australia (when I was very young and stupid; now I'm old-er and stupid).

Wanted to try bigger game but lack of ability put me off; to 'humanely' kill bigger game you needed to reliably hit the equive of the second-smallest circle in Charlotte's bear, with the first shot.

To guarantee to do that every time, over uneven ground with twigs, branches around, wind and possibly a moving target is difficult. I was never capable of doing it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: 04 December, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »
Poor Yogi.

Yogi got totally owned that day  :D

Even if it's a heck of a drive, I really do recommend a trip to Wye Vally Archery.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #116 on: 04 December, 2013, 05:01:39 pm »
Poor Yogi.

Yogi got totally owned that day  :D

Even if it's a heck of a drive, I really do recommend a trip to Wye Vally Archery.

Not such a bad drive from here actually.  Will look into that.  Would be a good excuse to refit the hunting/field sight that came with the Compound.

FYI.  My right shoulder feels like it's been sat on by an Elephant since I shot the new bow for 2 hours on Monday evening.  Kudos to those Olde English archers and their 100lb Longbows, my Compound is only 60lb and it takes some determination to get it to full draw..

Edit. I am so going to nail Yogi you won't believe it,

LEE

« Reply #117 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:01:12 am »
Hahahahahaha..Mwah.hahahahahahaha

Crikey Charlie!  Aren't Compound Bows brutal?  So fast.  "Click-Thud" at 30 metres and such a flat trajectory out to 50 metres.  I'd forgotten. 3" groups at 30 metres and it's not tuned yet (sorry for mixed units).

Couldn't find my arrows at first, that's because they were mostly sticking out of the back of the target rather than the front.

Even straight out of the box, with field/hunting accessories, rather than target accessories, it's bloody accurate.  As accurate as our very best recurve archers.  In that respect it means you can compete with the best, in a sort of Recurve/Compound handicap way.

Now to put my right shoulder on ice.   My shoulder still isn't used to it for a 2 hour session.  There needs to be some "manning-up".