Author Topic: Any archers among us?  (Read 19428 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Any archers among us?
« on: 28 February, 2011, 12:41:47 pm »
Any archers among us?

I'm looking to treat myself to a new bow for the spring. At the moment I'm shooting a rather old Win & Win take down recurve with alloy riser and standard wood / fibreglass limbs, which I shoot with ye olde worlde wooden arrows. It shoots nice enough (specially with one of my DIY flemish twist bowstrings), however I fancy a change, so I'm looking for a nice American Flatbow!   :thumbsup:  Currently the KG Sherwood AFB in Black Glass looks promising at @ £214.  http://www.kgarchery.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_22&products_id=38  Something around 68" and 45# draw weight should be nice.

Any other suggestions?  Unfortunately Scotland is quite bereft of archery shops, so I'll probably need to order online....

Re: Any archers among us?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »
Charlotte plays with those  pointy things

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
I used used used to be a club standard archer, but I'm not up to date with what's available.  I know I wanted a Border Black Douglas TD recurve...

..Ooh, seems like I still do.

That KG Sherwood looks like quite a nice piece.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »
I used to do a lot of Archery but, after trying Flat bow, Recurve and Compound, I found it hard to use anythign but the Compound.  Just too much fun, too accurate and too powerful to go back really.

After a year of shooting Compound I tried a Recurve but the damn thing seemed to get harder and harder the more I pulled (yes, yes...Benny Hill beat you to it by 30 years) that just didn't seem right so I went back to the Compound (which gets easier and easier, assuming you can get the cams moving ).

I imagine a Compound, with stabiliser, peep-sight, scope and trigger release will not appeal to you at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:07:29 pm »
Speaking purely for myself, I found compound bows a bit dull.  When your arrows are all gold, it gets monotonous.

I like the simplicity of a recurve - even a TD - even if it means it takes more effort to even achieve consistency, let alone shredding the bull.  I guess it's the same aesthetic principle that means old steel bikes appeal to me.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »
Any archers among us?

I'm Emma Grundy in my spare time.

Oh, sorry, my mistake..

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »
Speaking purely for myself, I found compound bows a bit dull.  When your arrows are all gold, it gets monotonous.

You just adapt and start placing the arrows in specific parts of the gold as a challenge.  It gets expensive in damaged arrows if you just aim for the centre.

I mainly shot 20 yard "Portsmouth" round (or the US equivalent) so there's the challenge of getting a perfect round rather than just a high score. 
It's just like Rifle shooting, you use a smaller target and compete against similar equipment. 
There's certainly no point shooting 40 yards into a full size target but wind still plays a huge part at the longer distances (although still a lot less than a traditional bow when the arrow from a Compound is leaving the bow at around 300 feet/sec).

I quit in the end because, after returning to the UK from America, I was asked not to shoot animal targets at my new club because "It was upsetting some of the members".  These were paper targets of Deer, Bears and the like I bought in my US club.  I got tired of all the "we'd prefer it if you wore a green top and cream/white trousers" approach to Archery in England, too much committee, not enough fun.
My Bow was also camouflaged which didn't seem to go down too well either.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:37:56 pm »
I got tired of all the "we'd prefer it if you wore a green top and cream/white trousers" approach to Archery in England, too much committee, not enough fun.
My Bow was also camouflaged which didn't seem to go down too well either.

Found a picture of you the last time you went to your local club.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:45:42 pm »
Lee is Ted Nugent and ICMFP

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:18:12 pm »
Much worse I'm afraid.

Me in a public park in Minnesota.  It's an area designed for Archery with huge straw bales all over the place and this structure to simulate the height you'd be at when shooting from a tree-seat.

Compound Bow technology has advanced since then with much bigger and better cams.  This had a 65 lb draw weight, plenty enough.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »
I got tired of all the "we'd prefer it if you wore a green top and cream/white trousers" approach to Archery in England, too much committee, not enough fun.

+1

Some time ago, I decided that I didn't want to shoot much in the way of competition stuff.  I just like keeping my hand in and having some shits and giggles with a variety of fun toys.

The whole dress code thing was just the crowning turd on the dung heap - Archery in the UK is too much like crown green bowls to be any fun.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »
Archery in the UK is too much like crown green bowls to be any fun.

Funnily enough, I used to make the same comparison.  That or golf.

My team consisted mainly of roadies, so we'd go to competitions wearing denim'n'leather & generally looking hairy & lairy.  We also had a bit of a vogue for going barefoot for summer shoots.

We pissed a lot of people off. :D

But, equally, there were a lot of people - green v-necks and cream slacks notwithstanding - who cheered us on and went out of their way to say how refreshing it was to see young people being so enthusiastic and, in the words of one delightful old woman, 'modern'.

We had one Olympic and one nearly Olympic archer in our team at various times
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »
Here's the web site of the place I used to shoot Archery Headquarters

My favourite quote from the site is  Thursday night league is set for two person team bowhunters competing at the dart target system. Action is fast and the beer really tastes good.

You can imagine why joining an English club came as such a disappointment.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:09:51 pm »
I dabble, not shot for a while tho.  Only really started after finding a nice leftie recurve for bobbins on the 'bay.  At heart I'm a fibreglass'n'foam LARP archer.   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »
+1

Longbow; mainly Tudor period reenactment. So - no green and white dress code; instead a slavish adherance to hand sewn vegetable dyed wool and leather ... but a huge emphasis on having fun.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #15 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »
Another dabbler.  Nowhere to shoot without endangering either our cats or next door's horse.  Means it's gone the same way as airgun plinking.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2011, 10:28:55 am »
I sold my bow in 2009 because of lack of safe places to shoot. Lack of time to stay in shape for shooting, also. Still fancy having a crossbow for target plinking, tho'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2011, 10:40:00 pm »
I uses to shoot a fair bit - Compound Limited and I've still got the bow under the bed for the Zombapocalypse. Trouble is it's about the only sport in the world where serious time spent practising makes you less fit. Looking along the shooting line showed a worrying collection of massive beer guts.

Cluny Clays in Fife (near Kirkcaldy) used to have an archery shop but just looked at the website and can't see any mention of a shop now, though they've still got the range. I used to buy most of my stuff from Quicks - http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/index
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »
I don't know about making you unfit, I wish I was as skinny as I was in this photo.  I used to shoot about 4-5 times a week in 2-3 hour sessions (naff all else to do in Minnesota after work).  I had shoulder and back muscles that are long gone since I quit.  I think the bellys are aquired after the Archery.

Here's a better view of the Archery facility in the Minnesota public park.  There are about 10 of these hay bails at different distances.  

This one is about 30 yards shooting at a 24" target.  You'd expect to hit the 3"white centre 4 out of 6 times or more from that distance with a compound bow (inside, at 20 yards, you'd expect to hit the 2" inner white 5/6 times or more.  Compounds really are that accurate*.)

* Note.  When using a "Release", Stabiliser and a scope sight.

I started shooting compound without a Release but I lost the feeling in my finger tips after a week.

« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »
<ignorant guy>
So is a compound bow with a "release" not most of the way to being a crossbow?

« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
Not at all.

The difference is absolutely massive. Bows are more efficient, so get more punch for the draw weight.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
Compound bows are more accurate, more powerful and more reliable.  They have less recoil and vibration than a crossbow, imparting a greater velocity and acceleration to a longer and more stable arrow.  Cocking a crossbow is a pain in the arse; reloading a compound bow is as easy as nocking another arrow and hooking up the release aid again.

Also, crossbows are affectations of the plebiscite thug.  The compound bow is a gentleman's weapon, requiring poise, skill and flair to shoot well.

« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:32:49 pm »
My mate bought a crossbow, Barnett Commando II. It's too dangerous to have fun with, and you can wear through the string at an alarming rate. As a result it's stored dismantled in my garage. Having a crossbow in your flat is a massive turn off to other halves.

Whose famous for crossbows? The Swiss, and the Swiss are no good at fun.

« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »
Compound bows are more accurate, more powerful (for the same draw weight) and more reliable.  They have less recoil and vibration than a crossbow, imparting a greater velocity and acceleration to a longer and more stable arrow.  Cocking a crossbow is a pain in the arse; reloading a compound bow is as easy as nocking another arrow and hooking up the release aid again.

Also, crossbows are affectations of the plebiscite thug.  The compound recurve or longbow is a gentleman's weapon, requiring poise, skill and flair to shoot well.

FTFY
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2011, 02:13:39 pm »
Bows (of all descriptions) are just machines for storing energy.

Compound bows are the furthest and highest evolution of a very ancient design  :)