Author Topic: What's to dislike about Audaxes.  (Read 40763 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: What's to dislike about Audaxes.
« Reply #175 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »
I know what you were meaning. I reckon having 100 geezers turning up for EOL almost suggests an element of conspiracy ::-)
EOL is  I magine for "genuine" last minute circumstances but human nature being what it is (crap design) there's always the chance that chancers will chance it.

« Reply #176 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »
In reality a stone-cold out of the blue EOL can be avoided if the organiser has email.
My experience of using this is to ask if EOL is ok when I know I can attend & turn up with an sae,entry form & the correct amount  of £ for the entry fee,all with prior agreement

In my experience EOLs very rarely bring entry form or SAE with them  >:(  In fairness, though, I find that most do contact me in advance, usually to check that I do accept EOL.  My stock response is that I don't encourage them, but won't turn anyone away.  They may have a delayed start, and may have no brevet.

But back to my pet hate about audax - entrants who can't be arsed to include the correct size of envelope, or supply envelopes that aren't self-seal.  When you're stuffing up to 100 envelopes it's so much easier if they are all the same(ish) size.

« Reply #177 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »
I know what you were meaning. I reckon having 100 geezers turning up for EOL almost suggests an element of conspiracy ::-)
EOL is  I magine for "genuine" last minute circumstances but human nature being what it is (crap design) there's always the chance that chancers will chance it.

I think with this particular event loads of people decided they would only ride if there was no risk of ice or rain and couldn't be bothered to send in an application and risk losing their money if they didn't ride. Of course this makes an event almost impossible to organise!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #178 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »
In this day and age of online entry there really is very little requirement for EOL at all. Even an entry a couple of days previously will enable the org to get his paperwork prepped before the day. No EOL without prior arrangement seems a reasonable stance ESPECIALLY for AUK members. Most events don't cost that much to enter in advance so leaving it to decide whether to ride or not on the day is completely out of order, ISTM.

« Reply #179 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:46:03 pm »

I think with this particular event loads of people decided they would only ride if there was no risk of ice or rain and couldn't be bothered to send in an application and risk losing their money if they didn't ride. Of course this makes an event almost impossible to organise!

Nothing to stop the org charging a decent premium for EOL.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #180 on: 15 April, 2011, 05:03:41 pm »
On behalf of someone who is an organiser ... people who turn up on the day expecting to be able to enter on the line, not because they had some unforeseeable change in personal circumstance that suddenly allowed them to ride, oh no. But because they were unprepared to play the weather lottery and wanted to just see how things looked on the day and turn up only if they felt like it and things look favourable. (On an early season 100k this year nearly 100 riders did this  :o )

+1

Even an e-mail or phonecall that someone might come is a great help. This enables you to prepare a self adhesive sticker with the rider's details so you at least save some time when they do enter.
Worst are riders who book accomodation but don't bother to enter the ride.

« Reply #181 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:17:47 pm »
Male AUKs who use the ladies toilets, including at commercial controls.

A friend of mine was once stopped by a policeman as she exited a public gents. It  was in a deserted town in the middle of the night, and an honest mistake, but he seemed to find it highly objectionable.

« Reply #182 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:20:18 pm »

A friend of mine was once stopped by a policeman as she exited a public gents. It  was in a deserted town in the middle of the night, and an honest mistake, but he seemed to find it highly objectionable.

A friend you say?
A likely story!

border-rider

« Reply #183 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »

Guilty

Sorry, but if I need a pooh and some eejit is occupying the gents to ostentatiously slap unnecessary arse cream on his nethers, and there's no-one in the ladies, I'll use it.

Alouicious

« Reply #184 on: 16 April, 2011, 07:29:25 am »
You should all go to a Motor race event where there are portaloos stood in a field. Boys and girls together.

« Reply #185 on: 16 April, 2011, 08:51:49 am »
You should all go to a Motor race event where there are portaloos stood in a field. Boys and girls together.

A la PBP.

My bladder was fine while waiting to start but as soon as I hit the running track at St Quentin and caught sight of those portaloos I had it. I think I used them 3 times on the slow shuffle to the start. I think it is a trick by the officials to be honest. Empty all the bladders so the streets of outer Paris are not awash with .... *cough ... you get my point :)

« Reply #186 on: 16 April, 2011, 01:04:00 pm »

Guilty

Sorry, but if I need a pooh and some eejit is occupying the gents to ostentatiously slap unnecessary arse cream on his nethers, and there's no-one in the ladies, I'll use it.

You are in the minority, unless all other male AUKs can poo standing up.  I don't care what your arrangements are at home, but if you use the ladies toilets, put the bloody seat down after.

I understand the whole 'less women in audax' thing means the ladies is less often occupied, but:
(i) Ladies toilets have fewer units (usually the same number of cubicle, but nothing else) so get full quicker
(ii) Ladies wearing bibshorts may not be fully dressed outside of the cubicles but inside the main door - there's not much space to move around in the cubicles if you need to rearrange all of your clothes.
(iii) The little grey box/bin in the corner of the cubicle needs to stay inside the cubicle.  If you don't know what it is for, then don't touch it.
(iv) If there are women already in the toilets, leave them alone.  On the BCM last year I had a male AUK rattling the cubicle door in the Honey Cafe whilst I was in there, then huffing and puffing outside (within the toilet block) for another 3-4 minutes.  I was so freaked out by this that I didn't go to the toilet again until Kings. On the return leg.
(v) In a commercial control, there are other people who might want to use the toilets.

I have no problem with unisex toilets.  They are invariably bigger toilets, so don't have a lot of the issues described above.  Also, if the only option was a portaloo that was minging, I wouldn't go.  To the point of very serious internal damage.

« Reply #187 on: 16 April, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »

Guilty

you tell him jasmine
 Dont you take any shit off these arrogant men, sweet heart.

You are in the minority, unless all other male AUKs can poo standing up.  I don't care what your arrangements are at home, but if you use the ladies toilets, put the bloody seat down after.

I understand the whole 'less women in audax' thing means the ladies is less often occupied, but:
(i) Ladies toilets have fewer units (usually the same number of cubicle, but nothing else) so get full quicker
(ii) Ladies wearing bibshorts may not be fully dressed outside of the cubicles but inside the main door - there's not much space to move around in the cubicles if you need to rearrange all of your clothes.
(iii) The little grey box/bin in the corner of the cubicle needs to stay inside the cubicle.  If you don't know what it is for, then don't touch it.
(iv) If there are women already in the toilets, leave them alone.  On the BCM last year I had a male AUK rattling the cubicle door in the Honey Cafe whilst I was in there, then huffing and puffing outside (within the toilet block) for another 3-4 minutes.  I was so freaked out by this that I didn't go to the toilet again until Kings. On the return leg.
(v) In a commercial control, there are other people who might want to use the toilets.

I have no problem with unisex toilets.  They are invariably bigger toilets, so don't have a lot of the issues described above.  Also, if the only option was a portaloo that was minging, I wouldn't go.  To the point of very serious internal damage.

Alouicious

« Reply #188 on: 16 April, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »

Guilty

You are in the minority, unless all other male AUKs can poo standing up.  I don't care what your arrangements are at home, but if you use the ladies toilets, put the bloody seat down after.I understand the whole 'less women in audax' thing means the ladies is less often occupied, but:

Ladies don't sit on the seats anyway in public loos...... ???

« Reply #189 on: 16 April, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

Try to imagine, for just a few minutes, that someone with the user-name 'Jasmine' may actually be called this in real life.  Now imagine that with that name I might just be female.  I have assumed that you are male, based on previous posts.  I may be wrong. But if I am correct, and you are male, and I am female, then please don't presume to tell me what ladies do in ladies toilets.

In a cafe, I don't expect the seats to have been pissed on. I also expect that the proprietor has someone to clean the toilets on occasion.  If the toilet is not fit to sit on, then I'm probably best not using it.

But I'll tell you what - if you can ride 600 km on a hilly course and be able to squat over a toilet without touching the seat at the end, come and tell me about it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #190 on: 16 April, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »

Guilty

You are in the minority, unless all other male AUKs can poo standing up.  I don't care what your arrangements are at home, but if you use the ladies toilets, put the bloody seat down after.I understand the whole 'less women in audax' thing means the ladies is less often occupied, but:

Webcams don't lie.
It is simpler than it looks.

Alouicious

« Reply #191 on: 16 April, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »
What I don't like is having a teenage girl in a very low cut vest top walk into the gent's with a fresh roll of arse-wipes while I'm pointing Percy at the porcelain at one of the urinals.

Thank you Santa Pod.

« Reply #192 on: 16 April, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »
Is that a regular occurrence on audaxes?

« Reply #193 on: 16 April, 2011, 04:05:57 pm »
I have to say, I have so far not experienced guys in the womens loos on an audax. I have experienced commercial controls with only one unisex loo though, if the floor or seat looked unpleasant I would just go and pee inna hedge. This is one very good reason for not wearing bibshorts on audaxes  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #194 on: 16 April, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »
Peover Inferior = Disgusting bog @ Raven Café

Euan Uzami

« Reply #195 on: 17 April, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »
It's often the case that the only people in the vicinity are audaxers, and none of the audaxers are female.
The ethics of men using the women's toilets only apply if there are either female audaxers, or there are female members of the public around. (If there are, then as you were.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #196 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »
We need a new poll - blokes only, obviously. Do you:
a) pee on the seat,
b) leave the seat up,
c) both
d) seat? seat?!? doesn't seem very self-sufficient to me  >:( (Unless you carry your own seat, in which case you wouldn't be worried about how others use it ... )
?

[Edited to add a Proper Audaxer option]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #197 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:18:01 pm »
Why would I pee on a toilet when I have all of the route to pee on?
By incident, I did pee at one of the controls this weekend, but it had a urinal.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

AndyH

« Reply #198 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »
We need a new poll - blokes only, obviously. Do you:
a) pee on the seat,
b) leave the seat up,
c) both
?

Hedges have seats  ???

« Reply #199 on: 17 April, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »
But I'll tell you what - if you can ride 600 km on a hilly course and be able to squat over a toilet without touching the seat at the end, come and tell me about it.

OK, What would you like me to tell you about it?