Author Topic: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020  (Read 11565 times)

Deano4

• Trouble
Re: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020
« Reply #50 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:24:00 am »
I suppose that is better than a tailwind out and headwind back!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

rob

« Reply #51 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:52:40 am »
I'm probably starting 6am and heading North to Hunstanton before following the North Norfolk Coast all the way to Bacton and then returning via Reedham Ferry, Bungay, Stowmarket, etc.   The forecast along the North Norfolk Coast is a bit windier than 15mph and it could be a bit wet around lunchtime.   Child has had a cold last couple of days and I think I might have it.   I'll take a call a bit later on today.

« Reply #52 on: 25 September, 2020, 01:45:31 pm »
I'm heading around East Anglia this weekend too. I've fitted a 600km within the region by doing some zigzagging.

When I checked my route in Komoot I discovered it used a ferry, which turned out to be the Reedham ferry. As I'll be there sometime in the evening, I looked for an alternative and found there's not many options, especially if one wants to avoid A roads. I ended up with a route skirting Norwich.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

« Reply #53 on: 25 September, 2020, 02:08:00 pm »
You lot are harder than me.  I have rescued a few things blowing round the garden today so have pushed my 400 back a week.  Sunday looks not too bad and I have a remaining Dick Turpin card to use up.

I am becoming old and sensible.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #54 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:15:46 pm »
The CamAudax Flatliner ride is still on for tomorrow... made the mistake of looking at mywindsock.com - looking a bit breezy on the way North

If anyone wants to join us, pm me  :demon:
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:18:39 pm »
The CamAudax Flatliner ride is still on for tomorrow... made the mistake of looking at mywindsock.com - looking a bit breezy on the way North

If anyone wants to join us, pm me  :demon:

Bon Courage et Bonne Route!

« Reply #56 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:21:36 pm »
I’m on Wilkyboy’s Tour of East Anglia 300 perm. I’m setting off from Girton around 11 pm tonight, for a late Sat afternoon finish. About 8 hours of darkness, so catching up on missed night riding this year. No 24hr McDs thanks to curfew. Good luck everyone.

« Reply #57 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:18:58 pm »
Good luck Phil. Re McDonalds, there are a lot that are staying open for drive-thru (and delivery) during the night, opening again for eat-in at 5am. Not sure if your strange non-bicycle like vehicle would be allowed in drive-thru.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #58 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:26:40 pm »
Fraid not, I did ring them up to check.  I’ve got plenty to snack on and taking flask of hot chocolate with me. But would have been nice to have a break at a McDs in middle of night.

Got my iPod and a mini speaker so I’ll at least have tunes overnight if I can hear them over the wind.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #59 on: 26 September, 2020, 12:11:21 am »
I got in a 400 last weekend, DIY via Bardney, Boston and Chatteris.
Was a bit drafty but not as bad as this weekend. Managed to get round it in just over 16hrs.
After tomorrow nights shift I'm off for 19 days so hope to get in a 600 somewhere.
Just have to fit it around getting married next Friday ;D

« Reply #60 on: 26 September, 2020, 11:38:34 am »

Hey Rich, It's been a while hasn't it? ....unless you've been doing a distance or two on the quiet.
What y'riding? The old Bacchetta?
Congratulations too  :)
Garry Broad

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #61 on: 26 September, 2020, 11:52:17 am »

Hey Rich, It's been a while hasn't it? ....unless you've been doing a distance or two on the quiet.
What y'riding? The old Bacchetta?
Congratulations too  :)

Thanks  :)
Yes a little while, Upper Thames 2011 was likely the last time I saw you on the road, last 600 was back in 2010  :o
Started on the 200s again last year as wanted to see how the new (to me) bike went.
Still have the old Bacchetta but picked up a CHR from Kevin a couple of years ago, hence the fast times  ;D

« Reply #62 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:22:36 pm »
Well that weather was about the worst I’ve experienced on a 300. Windchill to 2C and it started raining from 3am and didn’t let up till the final leg from March back to Girton. Overnight I dare not stop for long for fear my hands would lose all sensation or I’d get chilled to my core despite the winter clothing layers. Also lots of tree debris slowing things down in the lanes overnight. At least the big pieces had the decency to keep foliage so easy to see in headlights.

Good luck to those out there, the weather is certainly a challenging cold winter standard .

rob

« Reply #63 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:18:49 pm »
Hopefully those on the 400 and the Flatliner are Ok.  The child had given me his cold, but I did a couple of hours in the cold this morning.  I’ll take tomorrow off with a view to making sure I’m ready for my 400 next weekend.

« Reply #64 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:37:32 pm »
Well that weather was about the worst I’ve experienced on a 300. Windchill to 2C and it started raining from 3am and didn’t let up till the final leg from March back to Girton. Overnight I dare not stop for long for fear my hands would lose all sensation or I’d get chilled to my core despite the winter clothing layers. Also lots of tree debris slowing things down in the lanes overnight. At least the big pieces had the decency to keep foliage so easy to see in headlights.

Good luck to those out there, the weather is certainly a challenging cold winter standard .
I was thinking of doing a 300 diy looping through Whittlesey (when ‘spoons is closed) from 10pm last night. I stood outside for a bit, decided I wasn’t ready for autumnal nights just yet, and did a cold time trial this morning instead. I’ll have to dig out the winter clothing though, as I’ve only done a 200 for this year’s SR.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #65 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:13:12 am »
Hopefully those on the 400 and the Flatliner are Ok.  The child had given me his cold, but I did a couple of hours in the cold this morning.  I’ll take tomorrow off with a view to making sure I’m ready for my 400 next weekend.

Hopefully the Flatliners booked hotels and have been able to get a hot shower and a decent sleep.  Too cold and wet for stopping in bus shelters. Hopefully a tailwind today as well.

On the 400 there will be some shelter in the lanes, but like my 300, there will be debris about to contend with.

Now about to enjoy a large breakfast.

« Reply #66 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:33:25 am »
The four of us made it around the A & S variation, albeit my slowest ride of the year.
Debris everywhere, power lines had closed a road (but we could get under them on the verge.
Villages flooded, rivers flooded, even the Reedham Ferry was very high.
Four trees has fallen down together on the road to Wells.
Then there was the headwind for most of the way  up, very cold 6 to 10C all day and rain for about 60% of the time.
No 24 hour Mcdonalds was expected, but all the garage forecourts were   closed as well. That was bad news, and personally, I got very cold and tired as a result.

Back at Tomsk Towers for 6:30 so they were just over 24 hours and I was the same by the time I got home.

As I said before, this is what we do for fun, so if we did it, it must have been fun. I think I will sleep on that one...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #67 on: 27 September, 2020, 12:06:50 pm »
Chapeau to all you that got out there for long rides this weekend! :o

« Reply #68 on: 27 September, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
Chapeau to all you that got out there for long rides this weekend! :o

Agreed, Fantastic!
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: 27 September, 2020, 04:58:35 pm »
Yes indeed, a tough ride. But the curry by torchlight in the bus shelter at Melton Constable was a highlight - livin' the Audax dream! It would have been very much harder solo, so very grateful to Grey Sheep, Deano and The Straggler for company. When we finally got the tailwind it was fun, but by then it was late and we were tired.

The wind was never dangerous, just slow going for about 150km, noisy and with leaves blowing about, though no tell-tale crack of twigs parting company, but 24 hours earlier it must have been pretty dicey in North Norfolk, to judge by all the damage. UK Power Networks people out at work here and there, and the lines down in one place as Grey Sheep mentioned - I guess they weren't live as there were no sparks, just blocking the road! The Reedham Ferryman was concerned the water was very close (by inches) to the top of the banks, with an hour to go to high tide! The marina car park in Wroxham was flooded, water just creeping onto the road.

At several controls I asked "shop or cafe" and Dean always was always quick to reply "CAFE" very emphatically! Yes a slow ride, but under the circumstances and with 1100km in my legs already this week, I was well pleased. With the new curfew restrictions though, night riding has just got a bit more 'type two'.

I hope the Flatliners survived - I thought of you every time we got some shelter from a hedge. This is easy, we're not in the Fens, we're not in the Fens.

rob

« Reply #70 on: 27 September, 2020, 05:46:29 pm »
Well done, all.   

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: 27 September, 2020, 06:34:51 pm »
Just worked out that 1500km in 9 (actually more like 8 and a bit) days, compares well to 1600km in 8 for riding to/from Paris + PBP last year! It's kind of like Professional Audaxing, if there was such a thing.

« Reply #72 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:18:25 pm »
Awesome stuff. Professional Audax...I like that idea :thumbsup:

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #73 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:47:23 pm »
I hope the Flatliners survived - I thought of you every time we got some shelter from a hedge. This is easy, we're not in the Fens, we're not in the Fens.

Huge congrats on your compressed SR Tomsk

We did get round, just, with Wilkyboy doing an awful lot of the work at the front. Hard first day, the fens at their most unforgiving. But after a good night's sleep and a big breakfast it was a nice ride back with the wind still strong and now behind us. The hotel in Goole was welcome respite for most of us, although Ian was keen to get back home for lunch and didn't bother with such unnecessary luxuries.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #74 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:25:52 am »
bloody hell - you guys are not selling it well to make me come out of retirement!

Well done all... definitely audacious!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen