Author Topic: Rebecca Romero has a dream too far.  (Read 3493 times)

Rebecca Romero has a dream too far.
« on: 03 December, 2008, 01:49:38 pm »
methinks this lady has an inner demon larger than her outer body

Competitive, or what?

There was an interview with her previously when she suggested that olympic 'failure' would have been the end of her world.

I think she needs to try another world now before she gets further down this line of thought.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Rebecca Romero has a dream too far.
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2008, 02:53:41 pm »
Why?  She's excelling and tortured.  You'd rather she was watching Jeremy Kyle and tortured?  This personality type achieve a lot, and go through the emotional wringer -- whatever their field.  She'd be baking magnificent cakes and worrying about being shown up at the WI if she wasn't sporty...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2008, 03:36:47 pm »
Has a little dream about her cakes.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2008, 03:44:23 pm »
Seems odd to suggest she wants to try AN Othersport without having an idea what.  Time is ticking away till 2012.  She can't just buy her kit en route to Hackney on the day...
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:13:38 am »
You'd rather she was watching Jeremy Kyle and tortured? 

IRTA "watching Jeremy Kyle being tortured" and was rather disappointed when I looked a second time :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:17:50 am »
if anyone could, she could.  Unbelivable engine and not quite right in the head, perfect for sports where it's not hard to learn the technique you just need to be a bit of a nutter.  Rowing is technically quite hard but cycling is just muscle adaptation (just...) so I doubt if we'll see bradley switching to oars before 2012.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:25:54 am »
Can she skate? There was that US brother-&-sister pair who won olympic medals at speed skating and also did well at cycling. Just googled - Eric & Beth Heiden.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:29:12 am »
Eric had awesome thews.  Rode well in top level competition - including a handful of TdFs IIRC.
Getting there...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:39:44 am »
Eric had awesome thews.  Rode well in top level competition - including a handful of TdFs IIRC.

I recall reports he was so well developed he had trouble walking.

I also often have trouble walking when I get off my bike...

Rebecca Romero is an automatic entry in the Manotea Little Black Book of Hardcore Heroes.

As for the third sport gig, I blame all those interviewers for asking "what next, another sport for 2012?" for encouraging her to think, Hmmm, maybe. Then again, its often said that staying at the top is harder then getting there, so maybe its not such a crazy idea.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2008, 09:40:33 am »
I misread that reply. :o ;D
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 08 December, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »
One of my daughters knows her - through rowing - she is "focussed" !!

Apparently she switched from rowing where she got a silver 'cos she was pissed off at being let down by the others in the boat ... so one assumes a solo sport would be on the cards - she's been talking about athletics and the stadium, but my money would be on skating.

Rob

(Not the beach volleyball  :hand: )

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #11 on: 08 December, 2008, 11:33:27 pm »
One of my daughters knows her - through rowing - she is "focussed" !!

Apparently she switched from rowing where she got a silver 'cos she was pissed off at being let down by the others in the boat ... so one assumes a solo sport would be on the cards - she's been talking about athletics and the stadium, but my money would be on skating.

Rob

(Not the beach volleyball  :hand: )
Not skating, far too technical. Having said that, maybe heptathlon. Maybe not whilst Carolina Klüft is still competing (though wasn't she sidelined by injury this year? Hmmm).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2008, 09:24:12 am »
To be fair, the papers (note generic - I'm not Googling it ;) ) reported that her switch from rowing was after back injury.
Getting there...

Hilldodger

« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2008, 01:39:23 pm »
From being stabbed?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2008, 02:24:33 pm »
*hypercompetitive stereotype warning*

"If you don't pully your f**** weight you may as well f*** stab me in the f**** back!"

My experience of such folks: if you tell them to ease down a bit, they read it as you telling them to be as much of a failure as you obviously are. 

Easier to just go with the flow and enjoy the show.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2008, 11:45:18 am »

Precious Mckenzie did weightlifting and tried bowls

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2008, 11:55:09 am »
I remember seeing Precious McKenzie on Blue Peter.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2008, 12:26:21 pm »
On SPOTY she did say "three Olympic sports, well, no-one has ever done that" and I thought, uh-oh, here she goes... ;D

« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »
Skating would be a tough call, the only olympic speed skating you get in the UK is short track, while it's a bit less technique than long track (there is still much technique to learn learn) it has the added variable of close racing with others.

If in-line speed skating (42km marathon) was in (I wish) she would be good for that.

Ohhh, and it's not that well supported in the UK too, not to the level that cycling and rowing are anyway.

If she does I'm sure we will hear about it. (There are a few squad guys in our short track club in Guildford)