Author Topic: Crunchy shoulder  (Read 6015 times)

simonp

Crunchy shoulder
« on: 15 October, 2010, 01:14:04 pm »
My left shoulder was a bit sore at the start of swimming club last night (but once warmed up, it was fine).  Now it's crunchy and sore.  It doesn't like raising my arm, and there's some tenderness down the front/side of my arm just below the shoulder joint.

What have I done, and how do I fix it?

Zoidburg

Re: Crunchy shoulder
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »
Buggered if I know as I am not a medical practitioner and you are just on the tinterweb.

If it hurts when you raise your arm...then don't raise your arm.

Don't worry, someone else will be along with some quack medicine shortly.

"Wrap it in a scarf"

"Rub swarfega into it"

"Apply leeches"

"Stop eating wheat"

It's a multiple choice BS scenario.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:20:20 pm »
I'd say speak to a doctor if it doesn't improve soon - but that's because I've been suffering from a bad shoulder for over a year and am currently on steroid injections with a view to keyhole surgery if that doesn't work.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:21:25 pm »
get thee to a good sports physio pronto. Most doctors IME are useless except for providing very strong painkillers if it really hurts. Physios are very good at fixing it, telling you why and how you broke it and how to not break it again.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
Sounds a bit like frozen shoulder. If so, I have it at the moment for the second time in my life and it's a bit of a bugger because nobody seems to know what causes it and it can hang around for up to two years apparently. Last time I had it the doc gave me a steroid injection and it cleared up. This time I'm trying exercise first for a month and it no improvement it's the needle again.

Of course what you have could be completely different so as others have said get it checked out. Re DM's comments. I think you can be lucky and get a GP with a real knowledge of joints as I did or you can get a GP who says rest it and take pain killers which might be exactly what you shouldn't do.

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:38:23 pm »
GP on my knee "Well if you can ride 875 miles (LEL) then there's nothing wrong with your knee"; extremely cursory examination.

I think it's actually a re-occurrence of something that happened several months ago in a martial arts class.  Same symptoms as then.  It's been fine for months, and it's not as bad now as it was then, but as it's happened again I think going to see the physio is probably a good idea.

No trouble cycling to work, though signaling left turns could be an issue.

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »
There is a particular muscle that initiates sideways movement of the arm. If that muscle is torn, your body will just say "no" to lifting the arm sideways.  Could be that.

Rest. Get someone to gently move arm through full range - you just let it relax. Consult newtoncap, she's the expert

(there's an opening - physio to yacf members
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:47:09 pm »
Try to identify just where the most tender spot is and which actions provoke pain most.
Armed (sic) with this information, find An Expert.
Avoid provocative actions.
GWS!

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »
I've just remembered the original injury was 3 days before the Elenith. I slept in a tent in a not warm enough sleeping bag with a sore shoulder and frost outside (the cold really didn't help and I got little sleep). I found however that riding 300km was fine. :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2010, 02:10:58 pm »

GP on my knee ...

My! Consultation styles have changed a bit since I were in Medical School!   ;) ;D ;D

« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »
My left shoulder was a bit sore at the start of swimming club last night (but once warmed up, it was fine).  Now it's crunchy and sore.  It doesn't like raising my arm, and there's some tenderness down the front/side of my arm just below the shoulder joint.

What have I done, and how do I fix it?

Dear Simon,

As has been mentioned, it might be frozen shoulder, which seems to be a pretty indistinct subject.  I had such a diagnosis a few years ago.  I could not raise my arm, like you, to the extent that making a left turn signal was really difficult physically, not just in terms of pain. A physio. to whom I was referred (himself a keen cyclist) told me that my shoulder joints weren't anywhere near their correct configuration, possibly because of years hunched up, either over a bike or a guitar (I teach guitar-playing).

He gave me some exercises, involving a huge rubber band-type thing, which I did for a bit and I had a course of sessions booked, which I was unable to take up because of a change in my work pattern.  Nevertheless the problem did go away after a few months, so I hope you will be encouraged by this.  But I sympathise with the discomfort, greatly: mine was so bad that it used to wake me up.  I had thought that it might have been as a result of sleeping so heavily on one side (I was taking a lot of morphine for a back injury which laid me up for some months) but apparently it is a "use" injury, which can disappear as mysteriously as it arrives.  I hope yours disappears soon!

« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2010, 10:26:27 am »
get thee to a good sports physio pronto. Most doctors IME are useless except for providing very strong painkillers if it really hurts. Physios are very good at fixing it, telling you why and how you broke it and how to not break it again.

..d

Rather depends on yr GP - mine is GP to British Judo (recently went to commonwealth games) and Saracens rugby team.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2010, 11:51:16 am »
I've just remembered the original injury was 3 days before the Elenith. I slept in a tent in a not warm enough sleeping bag with a sore shoulder and frost outside (the cold really didn't help and I got little sleep). I found however that riding 300km was fine. :)

For a small remuneration I could rub my Magic Healing bellend on it

Tempting as that is, I have opted for more traditional methods.

My shoulder is taped up and has had some ultrasound on it.  Nerve irritation and a mild impingement, so goes the diagnosis.  I'll need to avoid swimming for a while unfortunately, and work on flexibility (as always).

« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2010, 12:16:04 pm »
Well, if it doesn't work, the offer is still there.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:04:49 am »
Perhaps not directly relevant but some contributors to this thread might find this interesting.

Fi

« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:11:35 am »
Re impingement: I had that in both shoulders plus inflammation and early onset arthritis.  They were going to operate, but I had a steroid injection and did exercises instead. It took over a year to settle and I am very, very careful if I swim crawl to "keep my shoulder blades down my back" to avoid impinging. 

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »
Just picked up on this thread. I was diagnosed as having a frozen shoulder but when I fell off and broke the top of my shoulder blade the doc who looked at the xrays told me that the pain I had been getting was caused by arthritis, not a frozen shoulder. Having seen the xray of the ball and socket I'm not surprised it had been hurting, it's a right mess and has not been helped by the fracture (which was nearly 4 years ago).

Since the accident it makes crunchy noises when I move it and continues to give me pain on long rides (did the Upper Thames yesterday, lovely ride but felt creaky by the end).

If anyone out there can advise on how to address this problem I would be grateful.

I still retain the vague idea of doing PBP but have no idea how the shoulder will hold up.

Mick

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 10 November, 2010, 12:02:59 am »
Physio is helping but progress is slow. However it was fine with swimming tonight so I may be back at swimming club in a week or two.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 10 November, 2010, 06:23:05 am »
Since the accident it makes crunchy noises when I move it and continues to give me pain on long rides (did the Upper Thames yesterday, lovely ride but felt creaky by the end).

If anyone out there can advise on how to address this problem I would be grateful.

I still retain the vague idea of doing PBP but have no idea how the shoulder will hold up.

I was "helped" off my bike on the first 200k in march 2009, and fell right onto the right shoulder. Nothing broke, but the shoulder was dislocated. When the pain would not completely go away, my doctor found that this injury had set of arthritis in this joint. After doing the rest of the season, it was pretty clear that I would not be able to do longer rides without painkillers anymore.  My left hand would go numb even faster that ever before and it would take forever to get the feeling back. So I went over to the dark side - which had been calling anyway.

2010 I managed a bit more than an SR series, even if it has been a struggle, especially on the more scenic rides. I got injured doing HBKH and had to give up after 730 k. Not sure if that had something to do with "not enough adaption". I'll see how it goes next year.

All in all, riding a recumbent is pretty comfortable and I don't get numb fingers anymore either. That said: I miss riding my audax bike.

« Reply #19 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:16:31 pm »
Changing to a recumbent had crossed my mind but I just don't fancy being so low down compared to an ordinary bike - seems too vulnerable to me. How do recumbent riders cope with that feeling?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »
It's never a worry - I always feel perfectly safe low down - and less far to fall if one were to fall off a two-wheeled recumbent I suppose. It seems to be a common view that recumbenteers must feel unsafe being so low but once you ride one you discover you are more obvious to motorists than normal bicycles and are generally treated much better.

I have a dodgy arm which is why I ride my trike and I wouldn't go back to a normal bike now even if I could.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: 11 November, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »
Changing to a recumbent had crossed my mind but I just don't fancy being so low down compared to an ordinary bike - seems too vulnerable to me. How do recumbent riders cope with that feeling?
It felt weird at first, but mostly because my outlook on traffic was more like in a car than on a bike. Then I just did a bit of audaxing on the bent and now I am fine, at least with the Fujin. The Catrike pocket is a different matter, but mainly because I sit lower, not because I am less visible. It is funny how I get those: "You will not be seen by motorists" from motorist who have very obviously seen me.  :-X