Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 113462 times)

Bairn Again

Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #200 on: 25 October, 2013, 02:47:11 pm »
Just been looking at the the route for this one.  Not really sure that riding along the A82 for long stretches in daylight during peak silly season is the best idea.  What are people's thoughts on alternative routes or riding that section at night?
The A82 north of Spean Bridge isnt one Id seek out but isn't a no-no in my view.  The addition of summer holiday traffic may actually help as the danger imho is oncoming overtaking vehicles - many stretches are old school A road and arent wide enough for 2 vehicles and a bike. 

I would suggest riding the A82 between Ballachulish and Bridge of Orchy either at night or very early morning - my Ballachulish 300k event in 2009 took this route leaving at 6am and a number of riders commented at how pleasant it was to ride over Rannoch Moor in such quiet conditions.  I last rode this stretch on a summer saturday afternoon in 2008 and wouldnt do it again.     

« Reply #201 on: 25 October, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »
Have they published their 2014 summer timetables yet?

No, I checked yesterday
@CorbieLinnRider

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #202 on: 25 October, 2013, 03:41:01 pm »
Have they published their 2014 summer timetables yet?

No, I checked yesterday

Cool - I've never studied them intimately enough to know whether they change dramatically - but I personally will hold off on any scheduling until much closer to the event. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #203 on: 25 October, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
I hope there is an earlier one than 8am (as per the winter timetable) leaving Oban
@CorbieLinnRider

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #204 on: 25 October, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
Quote from: Veloman
Surely that would impact on height climbed and therefore AAA points.

No, The Route is measured in distance and in height using the shortest (google set to walking?) route from control to control. As the current Audax Rules state 'Allez Libre', we're free to chose our own route between controls. But if we differ from the authorised route, it is likely to be longer.

I have not given much thought to the A82. It is a busy daytime route! but I agree as others have said, very early morning, its likely to be quiet. But from Fort Bill to Tyndrom is around 50 miles so starting from Spean Bridge, or somewhere near, that puts us at Tyndrom ~5 hours after starting. Thats lunch time Friday, and some delivery drivers may be looking forward to the weekend instead of cyclists, tired after 5 days in the saddle. I'm looking at going down via Oban as its a quieter route, and then working my way back to Dunoon without riding on the A82. The problem will be trying to get the shortest route, which is likely to still be way over the min distance - following the A82. The route via Oban, south does zigzag a little, but the last control being Ardrossan - I may be able to go right down the west coast and back across from Bute. I've yet to look seriously at it - as its next summer and the time tables are not out yet.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #205 on: 25 October, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »

No, The Route is measured in distance and in height using the shortest (google set to walking?) route from control to control. As the current Audax Rules state 'Allez Libre', we're free to chose our own route between controls. But if we differ from the authorised route, it is likely to be longer.

Agreed and that's why I'm seeking out a hill between A and B that will gain AAA points and then doing it by a Traditional DIY but going a slightly longer distance (Via C) that excludes the AAA section but will enable me to claim the AAA points as no proof of ever going over the climb is required!  Just need proof I was at A and arrived at B. I amass a load of points that way without ever going over a hill.

Now, I'm not suggesting I would do that, but if you can change the route (Allez Libre) to miss climbing, and I assume Rannock Moor does contribute to the AAA, then surely this defeats the object of AAA and is outwith the spirit of the event.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: The Highlands, Glens &amp; Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #206 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:30:51 pm »
Dunno about the spirit, but I intend taking quiet roads if possible. I've driven Fort Bill to Crianlarich enough to know there are stretches where idiots drive as fast as they can, leaving little room for anything else.

There is a reason they no longer run the Daylight 600.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #207 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:32:02 pm »
Will you be partaking in this event Velo man?

« Reply #208 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:51:23 pm »
Will you be partaking in this event Velo man?

Does it matter?  My observation applies to any event that involves AAA points.

If I did ride it then I would ensure I went over the climbs that were required for AAA points, rather like I have done in all events with AAA points as I believe it is the appropriate thing to do.

I have also ridden Erskine Bridge to Fort Bill via Crianlarich by taking the A82 during daylight (I think we had lunch in Fort Bill) during an E2E in early July 2011 with 5 others, which no doubt helped, although we were doing in 'team time trial mode'.  (We did avoid the dual carriageway section between Erskine and Balloch.)  Not an ideal road and I would have preferred an eastern route, but it was not a Allez Libre event.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #209 on: 25 October, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »

Agreed and that's why I'm seeking out a hill between A and B that will gain AAA points and then doing it by a Traditional DIY but going a slightly longer distance (Via C) that excludes the AAA section but will enable me to claim the AAA points as no proof of ever going over the climb is required!  Just need proof I was at A and arrived at B. I amass a load of points that way without ever going over a hill.

Now, I'm not suggesting I would do that, but if you can change the route (Allez Libre) to miss climbing, and I assume Rannock Moor does contribute to the AAA, then surely this defeats the object of AAA and is outwith the spirit of the event.

I think I am right in saying that a traditional DIY can only claim AAA points with GPS?

I suppose if you were able to get PoP at the summit of the road from A to B, then with an agreed contour count you might be able to make a paper DIY work for AAA.  But not if you go via C.

Anyway all OT and I am not sure of the point you are trying to make.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #210 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »
No, it don't matter to me. But this thread is for the discussion and planning of this particular randonee. I wouldn't seriously imagine anyone committed to riding it would be concerned with trying to "cheat" an obscure rule.

The AAA system is in place just to provide fun and challenge to riders who wish, and is run by the goodwill of volunteers don't forget.

« Reply #211 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:27:49 pm »
........... and is run by the goodwill of volunteers don't forget.

As is all AUK activity.

I am acutely aware of the volunteer aspect, being one myself, not only for audax but for other deserving causes (IMO).

« Reply #212 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:24:30 pm »
The obvious alternative to the latter part of the A82, turning right at Ballachulish and following the A828 is 5km longer and has approximately 5% more ascent (looking at the whole leg from Spean Bridge to Inveraray).... but it's mostly of lots of little lumps, no single big drag like Glencoe.

Can't see way of avoiding the A82 on the run down the Great Glen though, not without adding quite a lot of km and ascent as well.

« Reply #213 on: 25 October, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »
I'm not doing the event.... But I have ridden this section of the A82 3 times in daylight and never saw any issue with it.... I'd quite happily cycle it over and over

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #214 on: 15 November, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
I know that it is a long way off but I have been doing some planning on the route up. Starting on Monday I could not resist some weekend riding. I live in Reading and needed to take a jump up north. I have planed a route starting from Darlington and going to Carlisle, then up to Kilmarnock for the Sunday night leaving a short ride to catch the ferry in time for the start.

I was wondering if anyone would be up for a weekend ride? The route from Darlington allows for train connections from London and the south and from the north as well. If the summer timetable is the same as last year there will be a direct train that will get me there for 11am to midday on the Saturday. Leaving time enough for a 100 mile ride over to Carlisle.

Just a idea at the moment. But one that I think could work and not leave me too tired for the 1300 km ride that will follow.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #215 on: 15 November, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »
@BB: There are two of us going up from DPCC. Current plan is to car/van share, although we haven't planned any more than that, and it may well change. Just FYI etc etc ...

[If i was Billy no-mates, I'd be tempted by a ride like yours, then train home from the finish. Although Carlisle-Broddick looks like about 200km; so those 2 days are probably a bit much for my little legs. Perhaps a 3-day version!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #216 on: 16 November, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
@BB: There are two of us going up from DPCC. Current plan is to car/van share, although we haven't planned any more than that, and it may well change. Just FYI etc etc ...

[If i was Billy no-mates, I'd be tempted by a ride like yours, then train home from the finish. Although Carlisle-Broddick looks like about 200km; so those 2 days are probably a bit much for my little legs. Perhaps a 3-day version!]
I have relatives that live quite close to the finish and plan on sleeping then catching the train from there. It is about 30 miles from the finish so hope my legs are fine.

I am going to France for two weeks after that and have to on a ferry on Sunday night.

The routes I have in mind for the Saturday will go over the Pennines and the route for Sunday is quite flat because the A76 is an old coaching road - think the BC between Llandovery and Brecon.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #217 on: 17 November, 2013, 11:00:36 am »
Does anyone have a gpx yet?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #218 on: 17 November, 2013, 02:38:44 pm »

Have you had a look on the calendar page for the event?

Looking at the route sheet, this won't be a navigation challenging event.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #219 on: 17 November, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »
I know that it is a long way off but I have been doing some planning on the route up. Starting on Monday I could not resist some weekend riding. I live in Reading and needed to take a jump up north. I have planed a route starting from Darlington and going to Carlisle, then up to Kilmarnock for the Sunday night leaving a short ride to catch the ferry in time for the start.

I was wondering if anyone would be up for a weekend ride? The route from Darlington allows for train connections from London and the south and from the north as well. If the summer timetable is the same as last year there will be a direct train that will get me there for 11am to midday on the Saturday. Leaving time enough for a 100 mile ride over to Carlisle.

Just a idea at the moment. But one that I think could work and not leave me too tired for the 1300 km ride that will follow.

BB

I live in Darlo - but I haven't given much thought to getting there yet. Probably a train to Glasgow and another one out to the coast the day before, and maybe a wee dawdle around Arran on the Sunday.

If I do decide to ride up, I'll keep an eye out for you. Not sure I really fancy the A76 mind, I've ridden along it a few times, and never really enjoyed it. Some fairly fast-moving traffic (though infrequent), and some really shit towns. I'd be looking into swinging a bit further west, through Dalmellington and St John's Town of Dairy.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #220 on: 17 November, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

BB

I live in Darlo - but I haven't given much thought to getting there yet. Probably a train to Glasgow and another one out to the coast the day before, and maybe a wee dawdle around Arran on the Sunday.

If I do decide to ride up, I'll keep an eye out for you. Not sure I really fancy the A76 mind, I've ridden along it a few times, and never really enjoyed it. Some fairly fast-moving traffic (though infrequent), and some really shit towns. I'd be looking into swinging a bit further west, through Dalmellington and St John's Town of Dairy.
I know the route west of the A76 is better but there would be the 1300km Audax to complete afterwards, also my in-laws live close to the road and I would be popping in for cake.

BB

BB

« Reply #221 on: 17 November, 2013, 10:20:36 pm »

Have you had a look on the calendar page for the event?

Looking at the route sheet, this won't be a navigation challenging event.

Quite so. 
In parts six or seven lines of instruction per 100km !
However I have converted the .kml on the calendar page to .gpx and split it down into sections between controls & the ferry crossings.
Northbound is http://sdrv.ms/18ghwFI
Southbound is http://sdrv.ms/18ghIVe
no guarantees expressed or implied that these are correct !

« Reply #222 on: 20 December, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
Calmac summer timetables are now online
Serious planning panicking may now commence.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #223 on: 20 December, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »
... as they were in August, when this thing was announced.

Did you not get your planning done then?  ::-)   (EDIT: I'd suggest leaving your panicking as late as possible :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #224 on: 20 December, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
... as they were in August, when this thing was announced.

Did you not get your planning done then?  ::-)

There was me hoping that Summer 2014 might offer some different sailing times than 2013, like something that means we not going to be already nearly 4 hours hors délai by the time we get on to Mull on the Tuesday morning.