Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 113492 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #250 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »
Quote from: '
.. long hot summers in Scotland.

Thats right folks, keep your eye's peeled for Long Hot Scottish Summers, Hurds of Haggis galloping across the slopes of the Highland Glens and especially watch out for piles of rockin horse Sh*t on the roads, as it really pongs!!   ;D

:thumbsup:

Seriously, I'm hoping for mild weather as I don't want to have to carry too much water, and cool breezes are good for keeping the midges down.

Thanks for the breakdown Marcus. I'm yet to map this in detail, for five GPS files.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #251 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:15:45 pm »
Cor blimy I wish I could do this one.  It sounds absolutely amazing.   :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #252 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »
For various reasons I am out  :'(

However that means a place for some other eager cyclist  8)

I can't just give you my place though unfortunately Rabbit, I would guess SeƱor Blacksheep has a waiting list. Priority decided by who has bought him the most "sports nutrition drinks" in The Royal Hop Pole..?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #253 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:25:28 pm »
Is it too late to switch to the MC1K?  :(

Marcus, I think we could have managed without the stage 1-1 profile ;)
What is interesting from those breakdowns is that not a single stage drops below the 1000m/100km 'average' that I use as a rule-of-thumb for Englandshire rides. Now this reminds us that it's a very hilly ride, but on the plus side the climbing is evenly spread. Surely a good thing?  :-\

If you are seriously considering something like:
"next project is an interactive Google map of all known purveyors of sports recovery power drinks* along the route"
I wonder if it's worth setting a collaboration up? Logins issued to verifiable entrants (except me, as I'll probably contribute feck-all). You can always lock it down as soon as some idiot goes a bit mad!

*sports recovery power drinks - I assume this is scotch for "pubs"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #254 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »
What is interesting from those breakdowns is that not a single stage drops below the 1000m/100km 'average' that I use as a rule-of-thumb for Englandshire rides. Now this reminds us that it's a very hilly ride, but on the plus side the climbing is evenly spread. Surely a good thing?  :-\

If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly......

Yep - it certainly appears hilly on paper a computer screen.  I'd guess there's reasonable opportunity for some inaccuracy in those calculations with the terrain (rolling through glens etc.); but I'd take the profiles as roughly correct if not the exact climbing figures.

The climbing does look evenly spread - a couple of pretty choppy stages though.  There's some flatter stuff when we're alongside lochs etc.

Anyway, we hardly go much above 200 metres - can't be that hilly now can it?

It's going to be an interesting challenge in terms of equipment choice - we're very self-sufficient and will have to carry more than we normally might (particularly those thinking of bivvy bags etc.).  One thing is for sure after having checked a few roads out on Streetview, you will want to pack a small camera - it's a bit pretty!

Not too late if you can't handle the real deal Audax!   ;)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #255 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »

Since the Highland is mountainous, the height readings given are really quite misleading, based as they are on interpolations. Example Spean Bridge Dingwall is shown in RidewithGPS as 1490 meters. My Lejog track using a Etrex30 shows 901 meters. So less than 1% per km.  The only significant climbs on that stage IIRC are Beauly-Loch Ness and less so over a morraine from Loch Lochy past the Commando Memorial to Spean Bridge. The rest was mainly running alongside the lochs of the Great Glen.

Similar story with the other bits I rode.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #256 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:03:44 pm »

In that case, could you please draw them all to the same scale please? Thanks  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #257 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:19:58 pm »

Yep - it certainly appears hilly on paper a computer screen.  I'd guess there's reasonable opportunity for some inaccuracy in those calculations with the terrain (rolling through glens etc.); but I'd take the profiles as roughly correct if not the exact climbing figures.

The climbing does look evenly spread - a couple of pretty choppy stages though.  There's some flatter stuff when we're alongside lochs etc.

Anyway, we hardly go much above 200 metres - can't be that hilly now can it?

It's going to be an interesting challenge in terms of equipment choice - we're very self-sufficient and will have to carry more than we normally might (particularly those thinking of bivvy bags etc.).  One thing is for sure after having checked a few roads out on Streetview, you will want to pack a small camera - it's a bit pretty!

My experience of the west coast from touring up there last summer is when you're right alongside the coast it can be really lumpy. It's easier the more inland you are.
For example I planned on going over bealach na ba, have lunch in applecross and then have a "leisurely" ride round the north of that peninsula. That road was really hard going. We're not going over there, but a lot of the terrain is similar.

do both!  ;)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #258 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »
Indeed. I have limited experience of the area, but I fear the coastal sections much more than the mountain passes.
(MC1K was much the same funnily enough!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #259 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:42:24 pm »
Around the Coigach from Ullapool to Lochinver is quite hilly - but at least we skip the Drumbeg road.

« Reply #260 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »
Shame the Altnaharrie ferry (across Loch Broom to Ullapool) doesn't exist any more - that would have saved us that schlep along the Inverness-Ullapool road.

« Reply #261 on: 17 February, 2014, 08:16:30 pm »
Thanks for those Marcus that looks pretty good......so is it time now to start getting excited?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #262 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »
I rode up those sections on a combination of Hummers Lumpy End 2 End last year and on the  CTC 'Scenic'  route for LEJoG eleven years ago.

The names of the routes gives one a clue as to the terrain that awaits.

H

Bairn Again

« Reply #263 on: 18 February, 2014, 02:36:49 pm »
Another Highlands based brewery worth a mention - made nr Inverness - 

http://www.blackislebrewery.com/beer/Beers.html

« Reply #264 on: 25 February, 2014, 08:47:27 pm »

I think part of the genius and appeal for this ride is we are sort of forced to endure enjoy each other's company far more than on a usual ride for at least that first 340km. We will all be on the same ferries so everyone from fast to slow will be back together regularly.

It is going to be a wild tour of some very beautiful parts of the world and I can not wait.

I will follow this topic with a lot of interest. My cyclingmate Richard and I will certainly join you this edition!

We're two Dutchies experiencing the Scottish landscape with you this year.
Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #265 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:13:49 am »
I will follow this topic with a lot of interest. My cyclingmate Richard and I will certainly join you this edition!

We're two Dutchies experiencing the Scottish landscape with you this year.

Welcome!  May I remind other riders that they might catch up with Walter or Richard riding on the wrong side of the road, particularly towards the end of the event.  If so, they should shout a warning and then simply pass the Dutchie on the left hand side.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #266 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:57:30 am »
That is just awful!  And you've got the song stuck in my head now.

:thumbsup:
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #267 on: 26 February, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »
Are any of you planning to ride as a group?

Is anyone considering a fast time?

Is there anyone riding that live's along the route, give or take the odd km or five?

Are their any of you that's are attempting this sort of distance for the first time?

If there is, please contact me by pm off list please
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #268 on: 02 March, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
I rode the KVR yesterday and was today contemplating my plans for the summer. One important item was missing - watering hole at the end of the Scottish ride to exchange stories with other sleep deprived soles. Saltcoats and Ardrossan lacks any bar / pub / watering hole that I can find.

It does have a Wetherspoons, but in looks like it has no space at the back for parking my bike and has poor reviews.

Please help a thirsty cyclist.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #269 on: 02 March, 2014, 12:17:15 pm »
Just buy an offy and sit on the pavement.

« Reply #270 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:35:56 pm »
Ardrossan lacks pubs?  This is Scotland we are talking about!

I fancy this place http://www.garfields.me.uk

« Reply #271 on: 02 March, 2014, 10:50:49 pm »
There is a good curry house in Salt coats called Motherland Spice

« Reply #272 on: 03 March, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »
As promised, entry for this event has been re-opened.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #273 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:58:26 pm »
@BlackSheep: how many cyclists will pass us Dutchies on the left hand side?
Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

« Reply #274 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:13:01 pm »
Best place for a drink and eat would be on the "north shore" road on the approach to ardrossan just after seamill.  The waterside.
But, you'd still have a few K to go before the finish in Ardrossan. Cracking chippy at top of glasgow street, the road down to the pier.