Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 113508 times)

Bairn Again

Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #275 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »
If it hasnt happened already Id urge contact with CalMac in advance.

Ive found that from experience on the Port Navigation & Mull It Over that it can help greatly.  A load of cyclists turning up unexpectedly could see them play hard ball over their published 30 minute check in (they do reserve the right to apply it) and it could mean 90 minutes rather than 2 hours for the 35km to Tobermory.   

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #276 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:36:51 pm »
If it hasnt happened already Id urge contact with CalMac in advance.

Ive found that from experience on the Port Navigation & Mull It Over that it can help greatly.  A load of cyclists turning up unexpectedly could see them play hard ball over their published 30 minute check in (they do reserve the right to apply it) and it could mean 90 minutes rather than 2 hours for the 35km to Tobermory.

Cheers m'dear  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #277 on: 21 March, 2014, 11:09:26 am »
SYHA latest report on GairlochYH:

Following the storms in December 2013, which damaged the roof of Gairloch Youth Hostel, staff at SYHA Hostelling Scotland have been working hard with our insurers, loss adjusters and local contractors to make sure the building can reopen as soon as possible.

The extent of the damage to the roof and inside the building has now been confirmed and we are looking at a number of solutions.  At the current time, we estimate the youth hostel will not reopen until June.  We remain optimistic that the repairs can be completed by then and are now taking bookings for 1st July onwards.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #278 on: 21 March, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

Following the storms in December 2013, which damaged the roof of Gairloch Youth Hostel, staff at SYHA Hostelling Scotland have been working hard with our insurers, loss adjusters and local contractors to make sure the building can reopen as soon as possible.

The extent of the damage to the roof and inside the building has now been confirmed and we are looking at a number of solutions.  At the current time, we estimate the youth hostel will not reopen until June.  We remain optimistic that the repairs can be completed by then and are now taking bookings for 1st July onwards.

Oh that's great, I just made a booking for this and been in contact with the manager who suggests it'd probably be ok to arrive late as long as you didn't wake anybody up, anybody else thinking of booking just say you're doing this event and arriving late so he can look to put us all in the same room and avoid disturbing any civilians.

Could be quite a convenient stop off as it's only a couple of miles off the main road.

That's all nights accounted for now then and no need to 'ride through'.  :thumbsup:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #279 on: 21 March, 2014, 03:46:42 pm »
Now full - There might be other places and I know there is a YH quite close.

Sleeping at Gairloch.

I have booked a small bunkhouse for the exclusive use of riders on this event. There are a total of 5 beds and the organiser will provide food for supper and breakfast (at a cost). We can come and go as we please and there will be no one else to disturb.

I have paid in advance and there are two places up for grabs. Cost will £15 each and we can organise the food between us that the owner will go out and buy.

Please PM me if you are interested.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #280 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »
Now full - There might be other places and I know there is a YH quite close.

Sleeping at Gairloch.

I have booked a small bunkhouse for the exclusive use of riders on this event. There are a total of 5 beds and the organiser will provide food for supper and breakfast (at a cost). We can come and go as we please and there will be no one else to disturb.

I have paid in advance and there are two places up for grabs. Cost will £15 each and we can organise the food between us that the owner will go out and buy.

Please PM me if you are interested.

BB

Is this Torridon? I looked to move to there but it has been booked by a group and is not available. Torridon is 30 miles short of Gairloch and Ullapool is ~60 miles further on!!  :o

So atm, I am looking at alternatives and not liking the prices! I really don't want to cart a sleeping bag and bivi round just for one night!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Hummers

« Reply #281 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
I really don't want to cart a sleeping bag and bivi round just for one night!

Now there's an excellent suggestion  :thumbsup:

Just the damned midgies to contend with but this approach would make it a grand adventure.

H

Dave_C

Re: The Highlands, Glens &amp; Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #282 on: 14 April, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »
I am going to book a hotel room for the night.

Dave_C

« Reply #283 on: 15 April, 2014, 09:58:02 am »

Oh that's great, I just made a booking for this and been in contact with the manager who suggests it'd probably be ok to arrive late as long as you didn't wake anybody up, anybody else thinking of booking just say you're doing this event and arriving late so he can look to put us all in the same room and avoid disturbing any civilians.

Could be quite a convenient stop off as it's only a couple of miles off the main road.

That's all nights accounted for now then and no need to 'ride through'.  :thumbsup:

I received this earlier this week.

Dear Guest
Important information regarding your booking at Gairloch Youth Hostel
Sadly our hostel at Gairloch suffered severe damage in the winter storms:

http://www.syha.org.uk/news/news-events-offers/news-articles/2013/december/storm-damage-to-gairloch.aspx

I have had the opportunity to fully assess the extent of the damage and determine the timescales for repair and reopening of this much loved hostel.
Work is due to start shortly but unfortunately at the present time I do not expect to be able to reopen until 24th July.
Your reservation has been transferred to either Torridon or Ullapool Youth Hostel, depending on their availability and a confirmation has been sent to you by email. What do you need to do?
Check the confirmation to see which hostel your reservation has been moved to. Email me to confirm you are happy with the new hostel or if you would prefer to cancel your booking and receive a full refund.
If you booked using booking.com website and wish to cancel the booking please log onto booking.com and cancel your reservation for a full refund.
In all cases please email me to confirm your intentions. Once I have received your confirmation price will be adjusted to ensure you do not pay more than the original booking.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this email may cause you and I hope you will understand that the circumstances were out of our control.
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Kind Regards

Mat Webster
Manager
North West Highlands Hostel Group
Torridon, Ullapool, Gairloch, Durness, Achmelvich & Achininver
––
SYHA Hostelling Scotland
Torridon, By Achnasheen, IV22 2EZ

I have booked a local hotel and will be asking for a refund. They offered me Ullapool hostle but its another 58 miles on and Torridon has a group booking on the 22nd.

« Reply #284 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:48:48 am »
I've booked @ Kinlochewe bunkhouse.  It's not really far enough along the route to be ideal but, ferries permitting, it should be reachable at an almost civilized hour, then its an early start for a monster day to Trantlebeg.

« Reply #285 on: 15 April, 2014, 11:56:32 am »
I really don't want to cart a sleeping bag and bivi round just for one night!

Now there's an excellent suggestion  :thumbsup:

Just the damned midgies to contend with but this approach would make it a grand adventure.

H

This was my thinking too. Lightweight bivvy/sleeping bag - stop when and where you like. Midge net a must though obviously

« Reply #286 on: 15 April, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »
One of the challenges of this ride, especially for us southrons, will be the unaccustomed distances between any sort of commercial premises to buy basic food items.     
About 400 km from Ullapool to Dingwall with only tiny village shops in between.
I've started building a list with opening hours.

Brodick            Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Campbelltown       Co-Op & Tesco       07:00   22:00
Tarbert            Co-Op               07:00   22:00   
Lochgilphead       Co-Op & Tesco       06:00   23:00
Oban               Tesco               06:00   00:00
Craignure          Spar                08:00   18:00
Tobermory          Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Mallaig            Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Armadale           Petrol Sta             ?   
Broadford          Co-op               24 hours   
Kyle of Lochalsh   Co-op               07:00   23:00
Kinlochewe         Village Store          ?   
Gairloch           McColl's            07:30   21:00
Ullapool           Tesco               07:00   22:00
Lochinver          Spar                08:00   18:30
Durness            Mathers             09:30   18:00
BettyHill          General Merchants   08:00   18:00
Lairg              Spar                08:00   22:00
Bonar Bridge       Spar                06:30   20:00
Alness             Lidl                08:00   20:00
Dingwall           Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Muir of Ord        Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Beauly             Co-Op               06:00   22:00
Fort Augustus      Londis / Costcutter     ?   
Spean Bridge       Spar                08:00   20:00
Fort William       Tesco               07:00   21:00 (and Morrisons & Lidl with shorter hours)
Inveraray          Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Dunoon             Morrisons           08:00   21:00
Gourock            Co-Op               07:00   22:00
Ardrossan          Asda                07:00   23:00

If anyone has any additonal local knowledge they care to share ?
Is it worth creating a POI file ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #287 on: 15 April, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »
Good work Pete  :thumbsup:

(The obvious strategy - based on this info - is to only ride between 0800 and 1800. Sorted!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

« Reply #288 on: 15 April, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Kinlochewe has a cafe too and I wonder if it is worth contacting them to find out what time they close.

There is also some kind of cheap sleeping thing in that area that uses old railway carriages - think it is called Sleeper?

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #289 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:54:58 pm »
http://www.kinlochewehotel.co.uk/bunkhouse.html

Also
Whistle Stop Cafe, Kinlochewe
March 1
We are now open for this year.
During March on Mon,Tues & Wed from 9.00am-6.00pm and Thurs, Fri & Sat from 9.00am-9.00pm. From April 1st we will be open 9.00am-9.00pm Monday through to Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Not sure if it is the one that Flatus and I ate in about 5 years ago, but if it is, filling and tasty and friendly.
It is simpler than it looks.

Dave_C

Re: The Highlands, Glens &amp; Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #290 on: 16 April, 2014, 07:18:30 am »
We will be going through in the eve of Tuesday so I expect they might be closed. I may send a msg that if they stay open ppl might be through for their dinner.

« Reply #291 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:48:13 am »
Portskerra on the North Coast just before the turn to Trantlebeg has a village store here http://goo.gl/maps/3cxUz No idea of opening times

Bettyhill has a tea room at the bottom of the hill (despite boards advertising it for miles ahead, it was closed for the winter when I got there and I wasnt inclined to cycle back up the hill to the shop and the hotel grrr).

The Old School at Beauly has an excellent cafe.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Bairn Again

« Reply #292 on: 16 April, 2014, 01:13:20 pm »
In Fort William, the Tesco is fairly small and is off the main through road.  The biggest supermarket with longest opening hours in the Fort is Morrisons near the railway station which opens 8am to 9pm.  You'll see both from the A82, it also has a cafe.  The petrol station at the junction of the A82 and the A830 about a mile before the town centre opens late too.

There is also a McDonalds close by Morrisons which is open 7am to 10pm.  There's a mini market in Ballachulish village just off the A82 and a petrol station in Glencoe village but after that there are no shops whatsoever until Dalmally (assuming your going via glen orchy after bridge of orchy rather than via tyndrum). 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #293 on: 17 April, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »
In Ullapool the Tesco is hidden away in the middle of the village. It is signed Latheron Centre, and "Free P".
It is simpler than it looks.

Hummers

« Reply #294 on: 19 April, 2014, 08:36:36 pm »
In Ullapool the Tesco is hidden away in the middle of the village. It is signed Latheron Centre, and "Free P".

Yup.  :thumbsup:

There are other shops there too but the Tescos is a bit tucked away.

H

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #295 on: 25 April, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »
Just planning my trip:

Will Arran be 'open' on the Sunday? Thinking of coming across mid-morning and having a quiet pootle round the island. Or similar. Don't want to starve (or worse - find no beer available ).

(July 20th is a bit early for Northern Britain tourist industry, I know ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #296 on: 25 April, 2014, 07:40:17 pm »
I haven't even had time to think about this ride yet.

Mildly concerned about booking accomodation

Bairn Again

« Reply #297 on: 26 April, 2014, 11:10:34 pm »
Arran tends to be in full swing from the start of the school holidays (the end of June) til late August.  The blonde beer from this lot is lovely http://www.arranbrewery.co.uk/product-category/beer/

Unfortunately the dates of this event also coincide with the West of Scotlands traditional peak midgie period.  Buy a midgie net or risk being gnawed to a skeleton. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #298 on: 26 April, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »
Buy a midgie net or risk being gnawed to a skeleton.

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/

I don't think it's available in Audax Ecosse colours

simonp

« Reply #299 on: 26 April, 2014, 11:18:48 pm »
I plan to catch the ferry from Ardrossan on the morning. I’ll stay at my mum’s which is about a 7 mile cycle from the ferry terminal.