Random Musings > Phototalk

OU Photography Course.

(1/5) > >>

Wowbagger:
I've signed up for this, starting in October.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/tg089

I've messed around with cameras of one sort or another pretty well all my life, the first decent one I bought being a Rollei B35, almost exactly 50 years ago. Since then, I've had a number of film and digital cameras and taken some pretty good photos, but it's all been landscape, wildlife and family snaps type of things. I've had some good results, but I don't consider myself a photographer, and I don't talk the right language to understand what other people are talking about, so I thought I'd have a go at this as a way for using up some of the time left before the grim reaper calls for his dues.

I wondered if anyone else had done this, or any other, photography course, and what they think.

The cameras I intend to use are my iPhone 12 Pro and a Panasonic Lumix G7. I do have a rather old Nikon D70 with a few good lenses, but I haven't used it for yonks.

fruitcake:
No experience of the course but the description suggests it is for total beginners (with an intermediate level of course available separately). They're likely to cover the technical aspects of manual exposure control; i.e. they'll cover shutter speed (and its effect on motion blur) and aperture (with its effect on depth of field). I expect they'll cover sensitivity, white balance, the rule of thirds (for composition), exposure histograms, maybe on-camera vs off-camera flash. The DSLR is likely to the more useful of the cameras you mention, since it is the one that directly allows control of this stuff. That Nikon of yours is a perfectly capable camera.

They want students to have image editing software so they may also cover dodge and burn, the art of cropping and perhaps the application of (synthetic) vignette. I wouldn't expect any more than that in 100 hours if it's to be covered in suitable depth with student engagement and responses.

An OU distance learning course with practical assignments would be an excellent way of learning these things, and couple of hundred quid for the course seems good value. 

Polar Bear:
Great find Wow.  Such a course interests me greatly.

Reading through the link I get to the disability section.  They seem to overlook being visually impaired.  I might just fire a query back in this regard.

bikepacker:
Wednesbury College in the West Midlands for many years ran a photographic course for the visually impaired and may still do so. The course tutor was Veronica Marshall who was an exceptional portrait and wedding photographer as well as being an excellent teacher.

Wowbagger:

--- Quote from: Polar Bear on 20 August, 2023, 11:35:45 am ---Great find Wow.  Such a course interests me greatly.

Reading through the link I get to the disability section.  They seem to overlook being visually impaired.  I might just fire a query back in this regard.

--- End quote ---

There's a visually impared photographer operating in the Southend area, one Ian Treherne. He stoked a tandem for me once.

A few years back he had an exhibition of his work in the local art gallery. I was very impressed.

https://iantreherne.co.uk/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version