Author Topic: Poorly cat  (Read 4559 times)

Poorly cat
« on: 06 July, 2008, 06:50:46 pm »
Just back from a weekend away and all is not well with the cat.  She's a semi-wild little thing that doesn't live here per say, but comes in most days for a stroke and some food.  She spent more time here when there were two of us living here, but nonetheless is more our cat than any of the neighbours.

Some of the neighbourhood kids told me that she had a cut ear, and when we found her a half hour or so later I bought her inside for a close look.  She seems to have a pea sized hole in the scalp just behind her ear, which is bloody, but otherwise clean.  I guess it's probably a war wound from fighting one of the other neighbourhood cats.  Because of where it is, she could maybe get a paw onto it at a push, but doesn't appear to be trying to at the moment.  She's had scratches before, but never anything like this.

The problem is I don't really know a lot about cats and can't tell whether this is something I should worry about.  So should I:

a) Keep her in for a couple of days until it heals (we have a tray).
b) Keep her in overnight and try and get her to a vet tomorrow (will require purchase of a transporting receptacle first).
c) Try and get some kind of out of hours service from the local vet.  This one could be tricky as we're not existing customers.

Aside from the wound she seems agitated, but that's probably as much about being shut in as anything.  It hasn't affected her appetite.

I'd normally ask Jasmine about this, but she's out of the country so I'm on my own.  Any advice gratefully received.

AC

'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Martin

Re: Poorly cat
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:57:47 pm »
from our experience it will be (or result in) an abscess caused by an inflamed bite; there are 3 possible solutions,

1. Take it to the vet and have it lanced / drained under a general anaesthetic (very expensive; I think the vet only did this as he was after a new bike)
2. Take it to the vet and put it on antibiotics (less expensive and usually effective)
3. Do nothing and hope

calling a vet out tonight is likely to involve him / her getting a new Colnago  :(, they are unlikey to charge more than £30-40 if you take it in tomorrow (which is or at least was the usual excess on pet insurance BTW). I'm sure a standard carboard box maybe inprovised with a barbecue grill will be OK as long as you don't mind funny looks.

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:07:16 pm »
Sorry not sure my description of the wound was clear.  I don't think it's an abscess as there is no discernible lump, it's more of a small hole in the head...

AC

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:13:14 pm »
yes, I concur with Martin, a burst abscess. Cats are quite prone to them (infected scratches etc cause them) once burst the leave a hole.

I have a lovely pic of a big one if you are feeling strong!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:43:11 pm »
OK, thanks both it being burst makes sense.  It doesn't seem to be troubling her at the moment, so that's something anyway.

AC

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:07:54 pm »
Can you handle her well enough to wash the site with warm salty water?

I use kitchen roll to do the washing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »
Could also be mange (cause by a mite) - it clears up within a week with spot-on stuff from the vet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:41:28 am »
I knew I'd find the photo!

I'm reliably informed that an abscess bursting at 3:15am onto the bedclothes is:

a) messy
b) smelly
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:32:51 am »
Lovely!  Cat's wound appears to have scabbed over during the night and isn't bothering her in the slightest now.  She even played with the tap earlier...

I think I'll keep her in for one more day to let the scabs harden and then think about letting her back out.  As it's clearing up on it's own I think I'll risk keeping an eye on it for now rather than a trip to the vet.

Thanks all,

AC

« Reply #9 on: 07 July, 2008, 07:50:56 am »
Small round injury in a cat could be a rat bite. Either way it could be worth taking the creature to the vet for some antibiotics.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
Please don't rely on self healing. My wife who is a Vet will remove some of the surrounding hair, thoroughly clean the wound and dress it on a daily basis for about seven days.

The process includes syringing under the top skin layer, applying  special ointment using a syringe, stitching if needed and anti- biotics.

I have lost count of the number of times I've assisted.The cat should be held firmly as it hurts initially and moggy is ready to escape and will if at all possible ;D.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"