Author Topic: Numpty Baking Questions  (Read 1874 times)

Numpty Baking Questions
« on: 21 November, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »
What's the difference between Bicarbonate of Soda and Baking Powder?  I won't be able to understand chemical forumulae, but a simple explanation would be very helpful.

If I'm using an electric fan oven, and my recipe does not specify temp/time for such an oven, is there a calculation I can do to modify temp and/or time given for a standard oven?  Like reduce by x%?  And is it temp or time I should be reducing?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Numpty Baking Questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »
Bicarbonate of soda is kitchen-speak for sodium bicarbonate.

Baking powder is the above with some sort of acid (tartaric?) added so it only needs moisture (rather than moisture plus an acidic ingredient) to work (give off CO2 bubbles and make the mixture rise).

I defer to the forum baking experts for the clever stuff...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:18:30 pm »
This article has some advice in plain English about baking soda versus baking powder.  (Bicarbonate of soda is also known as baking soda).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
Baking powder=bicarb+cream of tartare, in a ratio that I can't remember, which is why I tend to have all three in so that I don't need to think about it.

I bake everything on middling-hot, hot, or really-bloody-hot until it looks and smells about right.  My latest batch of coffee cake I actually read the recipe and used the right temperature and timings and they didn't turn out quite right, so I'm reverting to the old method from now on.

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:27:36 pm »
For a fan oven, cook at about 10 degrees lower and sometimes not quite so long. Different ovens run hotter and cooler so trial and error  is the best approach :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
Thanks for all that distilled knowledge.

My ginger biscuits, from an internet recipe, came out fine first time anyway! :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »
With most baking, once you can smell it cooking, it's nearly done. Then check the colour for golden brown, and if it's a cake, poke the top with your finger. If it's springy, it's done. If it's a big thick cake, stick a skewer in it and if it comes out clean, it's done.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:50:39 am »
for my oven I reduce the temperature by 200 for fan forced.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
For fan ovens it is generally 10% less - time or temperature - not a fixed figure.

« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:00:15 am »
For fan ovens it is generally 10% less - time or temperature - not a fixed figure.

Sounds about right - I'm generally going from 180 to 160.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 30 November, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »
For a fan oven, cook at about 10 degrees lower and sometimes not quite so long. Different ovens run hotter and cooler so trial and error  is the best approach :).

And lots of testing..

It depends on the item being cooked. The heavier the item (ie fruitcake) then the longer and slower it should be done compared eg to a sponge.

One trick with fruitcake is to take a large metal stock pot and place the cake inside that in the oven., preferably on a trivet. Then cook very long and very slow till done. It will rise evenly and retain the moisture as it is effectively sealed in a mini oven.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
Mrs Torslanda, she of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate, would like you to send us some sample ginger biscuits. Nommylicious!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.