Author Topic: 'The Flatlands' 600km 13/14th September 2014  (Read 98625 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: New 600km: 'The Flatlands' 7th/8th September
« Reply #100 on: 15 August, 2013, 08:05:45 pm »
Bonus kms now fully accounted for - 635km = 2h20 extra on the brevet card at 15kph - hey, full value riders can continue into Monday [just]!! The only viable bit of distance shaving might be to take the A15 south of Lincoln in the middle of the night. Definitely stay off the A16 to Boston...

Aukweb is updated and riders have been emailed.

Del, you are welcome to join the Mid-Essex Peloton [that's me and Huggy at the moment- the Essex Police Team will probably be too quick for us]. We're aiming for >36 hours and a bus shelter sleep-stop, probably somewhere south of Lincoln. Also as many Wetherspoons breakfasts as we can manage. I shall be on 72" fixed....

« Reply #101 on: 15 August, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
Del, you are welcome to join the Mid-Essex Peloton [that's me and Huggy at the moment- the Essex Police Team will probably be too quick for us]. We're aiming for >36 hours and a bus shelter sleep-stop, probably somewhere south of Lincoln. Also as many Wetherspoons breakfasts as we can manage. I shall be on 72" fixed....
I'd like that, riding with a few veterans, but I insist that you drop me if I start to slow you down!
I'll be 72" to start with and 65" is flippable if I need it later on.

A quick scan of the routesheet, current and February version, and they seem to be the same, ie no route change just distance amended, is that right or should I redo my GPS files?

« Reply #102 on: 15 August, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »
How far into the ride is Lincoln?

I suggest we club together and book some Travelodge rooms instead of dossing in bus shelters. Get enough people and it could work out quite cheap, plus you'd have a shower and kettle.

Anyone want in?

« Reply #103 on: 15 August, 2013, 08:47:14 pm »
Lincoln around 400ish km.
I'm in for the pyjama party but also the full audax experience including the Audax Hotel Chain.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #104 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:33:22 pm »
A quick scan of the routesheet, current and February version, and they seem to be the same, ie no route change just distance amended, is that right or should I redo my GPS files?

Correct - I should have said - the routesheet is unchanged, bar a few tweaks for clarity and extra useful info here and there. Distances are as per your excellent Googlemaps track, for which many thanks, Del.... :thumbsup:

« Reply #105 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:40:20 pm »
Bonus kms now fully accounted for - 635km = 2h20 extra on the brevet card at 15kph - hey, full value riders can continue into Monday [just]!! The only viable bit of distance shaving might be to take the A15 south of Lincoln in the middle of the night. Definitely stay off the A16 to Boston...

Aukweb is updated and riders have been emailed.

Tom

May I join your team, I will try not to slow you down too much  :-\

« Reply #106 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:46:51 pm »
I was considering this event and note it states 'Mudguards required'.

As there aren't many events that stipulate mudguards, is there a specific reason?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #107 on: 15 August, 2013, 11:32:30 pm »
I'm in  ;D ;D ;D

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: 18 August, 2013, 07:34:14 am »
I was considering this event and note it states 'Mudguards required'.

As there aren't many events that stipulate mudguards, is there a specific reason?

Erm...the usual, but here goes: wet and crud covered fenland roads, peloton formation due to un-obstructed headwind = mudguardless riders ejected by popular vote. Civilised cafes/pubs for a feed - you can always eat standing up, I suppose.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #109 on: 18 August, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
Mudguards only work as regards following riders if they have a proper long flap.... which most don't  - they just protect the rider, so not much good...

I applaud thoughts of keeping seats clean and dry at controls - we need them to be happy to have us back !!

That said I still cannot get guards to fit the new bike, but my seatpost beambag keeps me dry and clean - followers get sprayed just like the above mentioned guards do....

I tend to ride alone on my tri bars most of the time and I won't intrude on groups in bad conditions. It's faster on tri bars anyway though in the dry I'll sometimes ride in a group on the hoods (never on the tri bars, since its unsafe) purely so I can chat. 

All Audax roads are clagged and there are always pelotons....  LEL was the same with mud and pelotons but they didn't stipulate mudguards.....

:)

Cycling heatmap

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #110 on: 18 August, 2013, 07:22:20 pm »
LEL was the same with mud and pelotons but they didn't stipulate mudguards.....

The decision by the LEL organisers did not stop the peletons getting muddy faces. (You all looked a lot cleaner southbound than north :) )

Tomsk - like any other organiser in the UK - is free to stipulate mudguards, despite what LEL may or may not have done.

You're right about many guards not having proper/adequate flaps. But your logic seems to be back-to-front - discouraging mudguards will do nothing to encourage flaps!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #111 on: 18 August, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »
You are definitely looking at it arse about face.

Mudguards will keep the rider's arse dry - therefore, they can sit on a cafe chair without making it dirty.  That is the primary concern for most orgs wanting to stay on good terms with their regular cafes etc.

Sure, without a flap, anyone else in the group behind the rider will get a mucky face.  As long as they don't wipe their face on the cafe furniture, it will be fine.

Now, considerate riders should have flaps as well, so it's not a big deal with most of the people I regularly ride with.

I have no issue with people riding without guards, wouldn't want them on the front of a group though - but if an org specifically asks for them, then that should be respected.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
New 600km: 'The Flatlands' 7th/8th September
« Reply #112 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »
Hey Matt

You must have read someone else's post, cos I'm not discouraging mudguards or flaps!!

I'm a past master at making flaps from old mouse mats and in true 'Blue Peter' style, from washing up liquid bottles...

Cycling heatmap

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #113 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:43:02 pm »
Hi Marcus

Understood, but its an X rated event, and I thought that maybe it might have been an inadvertent 'standard format' thing....

Cycling heatmap

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #114 on: 19 August, 2013, 05:56:12 pm »
Well, as mentioned earlier, taller guy's birthday is far too near the proper weekend.
But not so near to the helper's ride.
Except that younger guy's birthday starts approaching at that point.
Tom, if anything gives, I'll be in touch!
I could always resurrect my York Sparrow.  Or do some shorter rides, I did my 600 already.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #115 on: 19 August, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »

My bike's not very blingy and my tan's quite pale but otherwise Mid-Essex sounds just right for me. (And I have mudguards on my Galaxy).
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

Chris S

« Reply #116 on: 19 August, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »
Ah... but how big are Grampa's flaps? Wheelsuckers need to know...  :D

« Reply #117 on: 19 August, 2013, 08:16:20 pm »
Ah... but how big are Grampa's flaps? Wheelsuckers need to know...  :D

The Tandem has excellent flaps and I know 'cos my eyes were glued to them on Saturday (well for a while anyway!).

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #118 on: 19 August, 2013, 11:20:48 pm »
Hey Matt

I'm a past master at making flaps from old mouse mats and in true 'Blue Peter' style, from washing up liquid bottles...

Thanks for tip.  I was going to cut up an old tyre but plastic bottle will be better.
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

« Reply #119 on: 23 August, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »
Damn, realised a coworkers BBQ (that he scheduled in April!) is on that Saturday.  Not sure what to do now: I was hoping for an SR, but I have a 400 & 600 to go - I'd been confused about the start/end of audax season, so thought I'd have 4 months to do it.  Now I'm torn between just riding this and finding time for a 400 another weekend and being quite rude to co-worker/friend; skipping this and putting off the SR until next season; finding another weekend to do a 600km from my doorstep as well as a DIY 400;

I've also promised to help a friend ride 100miles sometime in September.

simonp

« Reply #120 on: 23 August, 2013, 03:57:00 pm »
Can you ride steve's September group DIY 600k instead. It will also be flat.

Phil W

« Reply #121 on: 23 August, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
Can your coworker have their BBQ at the 350km mark of the Flatlands?

« Reply #122 on: 23 August, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »
Steve?  I only know forum names.  Is this the WCW or the MK one?   WCW is a bit more appealing, as I could cycle to the start - Twickenham to Windsor used to be my "long" ride  ;D )

Selfish co-worker wants to have the barbecue at his home, so probably won't move it for me.  I've actually told him I'm not coming, but as he's been planning it for months, we've become good friends and he's resigned, I'm feeling bad about it.  Completely forgot about it when signing up for the ride.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #123 on: 23 August, 2013, 05:35:59 pm »
By Steve they mean Teethgrinder - and its the MK one.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #124 on: 23 August, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »
WCW is hillier and is not as 'newbie friendly' as Steve's late September outing- I believe the plan for the Group Perm is a rolling average of 24kph. Of course, if you're not willing/able to ride with the group it's a perm and you can enter & ride at any time. Other 600k perms are also available, including a DIY.

If you sign up for the MK600 then TG will do everything in his not inconsiderable power to get you round.
AIUI he's only had one not make it- and that was Rich when his bike fell apart.

I do however think getting a 400 & a 600 in before the end of September is quite a big ask for a not-that-fast relative newcomer. There aren't that many weekends left, and you will need a decent recovery period (at least a fortnight) between rides. There's less daylight, so a greater proportion of your riding will be at night and almost everyone slows down after dark, meaning that if getting round in time was going to be a struggle it will be an even bigger struggle.
It depends on your psychology- for me, trying and failing would be sufficiently off putting and demoralising that I'd probably wait till next year till my chances were better, having spent the winter plugging away at 200s, and generally training for speed and hills. If you're the kind of person who is happy that they gave their all, even if they don't succeed, then give it a shot. No calendar 400s left though, so that's a lonely 400 you'll have.