Author Topic: Campag shifters with cable disc brakes  (Read 1479 times)

Campag shifters with cable disc brakes
« on: 17 October, 2021, 10:19:40 am »
Morning all, quick question, will Campag rim brake shifters (Veloce, Chorus) pull enough cable to actuate cable disc brakes e.g. Spyre, HyRd?

Pretty sure they must do, but is anyone actually running this combination?

Thanks in advance

A

Re: Campag shifters with cable disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2021, 07:14:33 pm »
I am running Shimano Ultregra with an Acor cable hydralic brake on a new trike so, in principle, yes.
I really like the Acor - very neat and compact. Work well.
https://www.acorsports.com/products.php?func=p_detail&p_id=774&pc_parent=47

They were supplied by my builder so not sure about retail source (this is a trade link)
https://www.greyville.com/products/11646-abr21504-acor-hydraulic-disc-brake-set?store_referer=true

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2021, 07:38:25 pm »
Just about. I'm running Spyres with 2015 Chorus Ergos.

You may find how close the levers get to the bars a little alarming, but I've never had any problems.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:44:40 pm »
As you may know, Shimano used to have the same brake cable pull as Campag, then started messing with it, I think it's been increased twice.  The BB7 (Road version) were designed before the latest Shimano change and I don't think they've been updated, I've used these with older Shimano levers, same pull as Campag,  and they were excellent. I don't know what the cable pull on the TRP brakes is.
Paul Components make a cable disc brake that comes with a choice of actuating arms, it's the only brake I know of that specifically addresses the difference between current Shimano and Campag, at a price...

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:54:56 pm »
Thanks for confirming Shimano pulls more than Campag. Do you know how much by? Knowing that I could offer an opinion on whether they should work with Campag.

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:23:45 pm »
Thanks for confirming Shimano pulls more than Campag. Do you know how much by? Knowing that I could offer an opinion on whether they should work with Campag.
I recall reading, probably on here or another forum and probably almost certainly by Brucey, that the current Shimano cable pull is 25% more than previously.
What I don't know for sure is which brakes are designed for which pull, my experience with road BB7's indicates they're old pull, bobb's experience with Spyres indicates they're intended for new.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2021, 10:47:13 pm »
The magic words are SLR / SuperSLR / New Super SLR.

Shimano brakes traditionally used a cable pull called SLR or Super SLR.
Some years back, they revised their levers and calipers to a new standard, called New Super SLR (catchy, huh?)
This pulls about 20% more cable travel, but at a corresponding reduction in cable tension.
All shimano road kit is NS-SLR and has been for some time. I can't talk to non-road kit.
Certainly with normal road rim brakes, you don't want to mix between the two. Eg new NS-SLR levers are VERY wooden with older SLR calipers. You need the grip strength of a gorilla to generate the higher cable tensions the old caliper needs from the new levers.

How campag and 3rd party mfrs fit into this picture, I just don't know.
Many 3rd party calipers I've seen simply don't specify if they are for trad SLR or NS-SLR.
It's almost a secret.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2021, 12:48:13 pm »
The magic words are SLR / SuperSLR / New Super SLR.

Shimano brakes traditionally used a cable pull called SLR or Super SLR.
Some years back, they revised their levers and calipers to a new standard, called New Super SLR (catchy, huh?)
This pulls about 20% more cable travel, but at a corresponding reduction in cable tension.
All shimano road kit is NS-SLR and has been for some time. I can't talk to non-road kit.
Certainly with normal road rim brakes, you don't want to mix between the two. Eg new NS-SLR levers are VERY wooden with older SLR calipers. You need the grip strength of a gorilla to generate the higher cable tensions the old caliper needs from the new levers.

How campag and 3rd party mfrs fit into this picture, I just don't know.
Many 3rd party calipers I've seen simply don't specify if they are for trad SLR or NS-SLR.
It's almost a secret.
The simplistic guide to Shimano STI levers (combined gear and brake levers for drop bars)...
Old style side exit gear cables have short pull cable on the brake and were designed to work with dual pivot brakes at the time, these road callipers were quite limited on tyre size and mudguard options and the levers really didn't work with V brakes, for larger tyre options like on tourers canti's were the system fitted to accommodate fatter tyre set ups.
Newer under the bar tape gear cable style pull more brake cable and work well with their matching dual pivot brakes, which are designed to go together, the later road callipers do acommodate a bit more tyre/mudguard choice and the levers can work with V brakes, but a long barrel adjuster is really usefull for the V's.

The older Shimano levers pulled about the same amount of brake cable as Campag, who we think haven't done any major changes to their brake cable pull.
TRP claim the Spyres are compatible with all drop bar brake levers and were around before the Shimano change over so will be Campag lever compatible.
TRP HyRd claim compatibility with Shimano/SRAM 11 speed levers so are unlikely to work well with Campag.

Are there any (safe) cable routing tricks that would make HyRd work with lower pull levers? - I haven't seen anything. With any hydraulic system the actuator lever/master cylinder must return to it's fully relaxed position to let the fluid levels sort themselves out and self adjust for pad wear etc.

All disc brake systems work a lot better if the disc is true.

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2021, 10:39:31 am »
TRP claim the Spyres are compatible with all drop bar brake levers and were around before the Shimano change over so will be Campag lever compatible.
I'm pretty sure Shimano changed the cable pull a few years before the introduction of Spyres. 
If TRP are claiming compatible with all levers, maybe it's a compromise pull somewhere between the two, I don't know.  I do know that in about 2010 I had a choice of levers and the only readily available road caliper was the BB7's.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2021, 12:13:17 pm »
There's nothing official that I'm aware of, but thinking over on the Cycling UK forum is that BB7 road brakes work better with the shorter pull levers, and Spyres work better with the newer Shimano ones. I know my Spyres work ok with the longer pull Tiagra-4700 levers on my Genesis.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

dat

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2021, 12:19:02 pm »
Paul Klamper comes in a Campagnolo model as well as road and mtb. I have one on my front brake of a fixed day one. Super powerful with good modulation.

« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2021, 04:57:53 pm »
I have been running very old (mid 90's) campag record ergo levers with Spyre cable discs for some years and have had no problems wither in setting up or using them.

hope this helps