Author Topic: Tyre Size Help  (Read 636 times)

Tyre Size Help
« on: 21 October, 2021, 02:49:25 pm »
Hey, been a while since I have been on here .... but still a noob!!

I am in desperate need of a new tyre for my Voodoo Agwe's front wheel - after cycling well over 5,000miles since summer of 2019.

The tyre size stated on the spec for the stock wheel (Rear is a different wheel, and not stock) is 700x40c.

sadly, I am unable to get Marathon Plus tyres in that size, now am I in the position to also purchase a new wheel similar to my rear one.

So, my question to the cycling-collective is this...

Would a 700x38c (Which I believe is as close to the 700x40c) fit on the rim?

Thanks all in advance as always

Re: Tyre Size Help
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2021, 03:20:29 pm »
Yes.

Generally the diameter is the key factor, unless you are wildly changing the width (say, going from 40mm to 20mm).

Going up a width size sometimes can be problematic for fit into the frame, if clearances are close.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2021, 03:22:16 pm »
Almost certainly yes. 2mm is a very small difference in a tyre that size (might be more of an issue going from 20mm to 22mm, but not on a relatively big tyre).

FWIW, my gravel bike's spec gives the "maximum" tyre size as 40mm - I've been running 43mm on it for several years now. However, I also run 30mm on it in different conditions!

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2021, 05:26:09 pm »
Cheers both :)

I'm hoping my slow puncture can last a coasting ride down the 2-mile hill to Halfords
So they can switch in the new tube and tyres
Plus...saves me bus monies and the no doubt annoyance of fittings the wheels again
lol