Random Musings > Skip Bike and Bodge It

Campag spacings on a Shimano freehub

(1/3) > >>

Blade:
I have a nice set of very lightweight wheels, fitted with a Shimano freehub.

However, I'm considering fitting them onto my Campag equipped bike. I'm aware though, of the slightly different spacings between cassette brands.

Now I'm well aware of replacement freehubs, Travel agents, clamping bodges and even special cassettes with Shimano splines and Campag spacings, but I've been considering another solution instead.

If I take a Shimano cassette, put all the spacers aside and replace the spacers with a set from an old Campag cassette of the same speed, I'm thinking that it should work.

To clarify. Using Shimano sprockets on a Shimano freehub, but with Campag spacers. Ten speed cassette, with ten speed levers.

Obviously, some of the lugs on the plastic spacers would need modifying with a file but this is very easy to do.

Anyone tried this before ? Is there some problem that I've not considered which would make this unworkable?

Rod Marton:
I think you'll find that Campag and Shimano 10 speed sprockets have different thicknesses (only 0.1mm, but it adds up over the width of a cassette). So if you use Shimano sprockets with Campag spacers you'll end up with the wrong srpocket spacings and it won't index properly.

tatanab:
^^^^ Highpath used to make spacer kits for just this reason, currently they are not doing them.  You had to specify the freehub, Campag or Shimano for diameter of spacer, and then the sprocket type to determine the thickness - Shimano, Campag, Marchisio  were the common ones.  A few years ago I bought a set to fit Marchisio sprockets at Campag spacing on a Shimano freehub.

This is not to say that your method will not work adequately.

Blade:
I can see that I'll have to break out the micrometer and check sprocket thicknesses.

Blade:
Results of measuring all the different speeds and brands that I own, produce a similarity of sprocket thicknesses.

Campag. 10 speed  ------  .070"

Shimano 9 speed --------  .071"

Sram      11 speed ------   .073"

Sram      9 speed --------   .071"

I'm aware that we allegedly went metric in 1971, but as I'm in possession of several imperial micrometers I thought that I'd put them to good use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version