General Category > Velo Fixe

Which pedals

(1/9) > >>

Webber:
Hi all just wondering what pedals everyone is using on there fixed gear I’ve been using shimano spds but would like to use some stiffer shoes but not sure of road pedals as they are single side

dat:
Speedplay for me. Dual sided, loads of adjustment, free float. I tried to go back to spd-sl but didn’t last more than a month.

psyclist:
I use either SPD or Look Keo, depending on the type of riding I am mostly doing. At the moment it is Look Keo, as I'm mostly riding with little walking at any stops.

With single sided pedals, there is a knack to getting clipped in with the second foot. I find it is easiest if I start off slowly, and can usually get the pedal to flip over and get clipped in first time. The biggest issue tends to come when I need to get away quickly, such as when at a junction when having to clear a lane or two of traffic in short order. I get going without clipping in the second foot on those occasions, but then it can take a few attempts to get clipped in at a faster pace once clear of the junction.

For the number of times you might clip in during a ride, I wouldn't make the slightly more difficult process with a road pedal a determining factor. Comfort whilst riding will far outweigh that.

As an other option, rather than switching to road pedals you could look at stiffer soled SPD shoes.

fuaran:
Could try some SPD pedals with a larger platform. I think they can give a bit more support and stiffness. Though would depend on what sort of shoes you are using.

eg the Shimano touring pedals (PD-A520 or PD-A600) are single sided, with a small platform.
Or there are various double sided MTB pedals with larger platforms. Though a bit heavier and thicker, maybe more risk of pedal strike.

grams:
Plenty of road shoes can take two bolt cleats. If the sole is stiff the size of the cleat/pedal doesn’t matter. Ultimately you’re pressing on a skinny axle anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version