General Category > MTB

Are e-bikes ruining mountain biking?

(1/13) > >>

Cudzoziemiec:
It's to do with the terrain, and also Strava, it seems.
https://theconversation.com/are-e-bikes-ruining-mountain-biking-166121

On a barely even tangentially related note, I saw the labelling on one of those "reusable but disposable" coffee cups, "ecoffee". Which is presumably meant to be read as a portmanteau of eco and coffee, but did make me think "electric coffee".

Kim:
Sounds like all the usual arguments that non-cyclists use against mountain bikers.

Maybe the erosion and manners are worse, or maybe they've just found an exciting new visible outgroup...

nobby:
"The Conversation - Academic rigour, journalistic flair"

I think 'journalistic flair' triumphs over 'academic rigour' in this Conversation.
"Sales of electric bikes have increased dramatically recently. In 2020, 4.6 million e-bikes were sold in the EU and UK, a 52% rise year on year. In the UK, nearly one in three adult bikes sold are now electric."
A tell you nothing useful sentence worthy of the Mail.

Lightning Phil:
Their research is nothing in the sort, click on the link.

“travelling at speeds that are unsafe for other users of the countryside”

Ironic given the hill walkers complaining almost certainly drove to the start of their walk at speeds that are unsafe for other road users.

Erosion from hill walking in the Lakes is well known and been a problem for decades.

Perhaps the greater question is the pressure and environmental impact from the vast hordes who decide to drive to and around the Lakes.

FifeingEejit:
Considering MTBs have moved to fatter tyres with lower air pressures and this is believed to be less erosive on the ground than skinny mtb tyres and even feet, and that an eMTB can be used to go up steeper stuff that would previously have required said feet.

You could argue eMTBs will cause less erosion.

Shite braking techniques however...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version