General Category > Velo Fixe

Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?

(1/29) > >>

rogerzilla:
Derek at Old Bike Trader has e-mailed me thus:

--- Quote ---Hello all
I have just had news that the S3X hubs are at sea on the way to Europe and should be available late August, on confirmation of arrival in the UK I will notify cost and delivery details.
So I can confirm my order quantity with my supplier please let me know if you require more than one unit or have friends or colleagues who wish to purchase the hub also.
Regards Derek.
--- End quote ---

Derek is at oldbiketrader@aol.com

There are pictures of the hub in the new SA catalogue:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/pdfs/Sturmey-Archer_2009-2010_Catalogue.pdf

TimO:
A bit OT, but it was interesting looking in their catalogue.  They do the X-RK8, which looks like it could be useful for a disc-braked commuter.  I wonder how it compares with the Alfine, it certainly seems to be a bit cheaper.

I quite fancy a disc braked, hub geared commuter, but I think the S3X fixed approach may be a bit too much for me.  Yes, I know, I'm chicken! ;D

rogerzilla:
The Sturmey 8-speed is nowhere near as good as the Alfine, or even the Nexus 8.  Chris Juden of the CTC tested it and didn't like it; the big problem is that direct drive is 1st gear and everything is geared up from that.  This means you end up running a ring and sprocket combination like 28 x 20 for climbing, and suffer inefficiency in all the most frequently-used gears.

Back on topic, the gear ratios of the S3X are 62.5/75/100 i.e. direct drive is top.  This isn't ideal either (you want your cruising gear to be direct drive)  but apparently it's not possible to make a fixed 3-speed that works otherwise.  The old ASC was the same basic setup, although with closer ratios.  On the other hand, the power losses in a mere 3-speed hub - assuming only one planetary geartrain in use at a time - are minimal and on a par with a really good clean derailleur system.

I was thinking of running 48 x 15, which would give gears of about 53"/63"/85" with 23c tyres.  I'd normally ride 48 x 18 fixed (about 70"), but that's just to get me down the hills without blowing the front tyre off the rim with brake heat.  63" would be much nicer on the flat.  The hub could be left on the bike all the time; 85" is great for TTs and it would be as efficient as a normal fixed gear.

oncemore:
I guess for most folk the price (incl for the shifter) will be something of a deciding factor!

clarion:
I think it is very interesting as a unit, but price is definitely an issue...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version