General Category > Folders

Brompton derailleur

(1/5) > >>

Pickled Onion:
The parts appear to be moving freely, but it is failing to change gear - adjusting the cable means it either fails to go into 1st or fails to go into 2nd.

What part is likely to need changing? The cable is new.

Biggsy:
There are little screws to adjust on the mech.  They work in a different way from a normal derailleur's, but have the same end result.  See the Brompton manual (online if you don't have a paper copy).

Give it a few drops of oil as well.  I think it's unlikely to need anything replaced.

Zipperhead:
Mine got very unhappy about changing like that, eventually it wouldn't change unless you got off and pushed it manually. I tried lubrication, adjustment, new cable etc. None of these made any difference.

After a bout of head scratching/swearing I replaced the chain and the cogs* and that fixed it and it changes beautifully again.

* - actually I changed the chain and that's when I found out just how knackered the cogs were. The new chain kept slipping on them and they were visibly beyond the point where you might describe them as knackered.

Pickled Onion:

--- Quote from: Biggsy on 20 June, 2013, 01:28:33 pm ---There are little screws to adjust on the mech.  They work in a different way from a normal derailleur's, but, but have the same end result.  See the Brompton manual (online if you don't have a paper copy).

Give it a few drops of oil as well.  I think it's unlikely to need anything replaced.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that fixed it - they're very well hidden, aren't they? :)

I'm still a little unclear how changing the derailleur endstop has made it work, when adjusting the cable could put it in either gear so it wasn't hitting the endstops.

Zips, that's a good point, and in the past has worked for me. I regularly spend a few months in single speed before getting round to changing stuff. Recently did the cables, chain and sprockets and was surprised not to get the gears back.

Oh, and within a kilometre of fixing this, the folding pedal snapped.  :( This is proving a very expensive month in worn out bits.

GothonaBrompton:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my S2L.

Fine in first, won't change up to second when I accelerate.  So I am spinning like mad.

Have lubricated with GT85, cleaned dirt out etc.  Have adjusted the little screw.  Everything moves freely, but just won't change up.

Having another go tonight, and if still playing up, will use hubby's S2L tomorrow.

Mine is 3 years old and does 10 miles a day.  The chain does not appear to be stretched, but would it be a good idea to replace it and the two jockey wheels that are inside the derailleur (the cogs)?  They don't look that worn to me but I guess some wear could be hidden by the chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version