Author Topic: Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing  (Read 3337 times)

Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing
« on: 11 October, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »
I have succumbed to the temptation to fit another audax in before the end of the season. Anybody else doing this? Some weather like today would be nice Mr Organiser  ;D
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

JStone

• E=112
Re: Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:48:17 pm »
I'll be there - last year's was a good day out.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »
............................................ Some weather like today would be nice Mr Organiser  ;D

This is one of the rides in the BlackSheep calendar where I put "Weather garenteed" in the notes - never been failed yet.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »
Aye. It's all [EDIT]flatlumpy, innit? ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »
After last times aborted attempt at doing a Blacksheep event, I'll have another go... ;)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2010, 11:35:00 pm »
I've entered this one. Not done it before.

Does anyone have a gpx route?

See you there,

Lycra Man

« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:36:25 am »
I've entered this one. Not done it before.

Does anyone have a gpx route?

You will get a 'gpx route' with the notes that get sent out to all (e-mailable) entrants.  It forms part of an "Entry acknowledgement pack". You'll also get a rough-guide route plan, route profile and general details about ride and information about the start arangements.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »
Mark - Entry Acknowledgement and gpx track received.

I've already donwloaded it and I'm ready to roll!

Thanks

Lycra Man

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »
Home (23:20) ;D 300.21 FTW :thumbsup:

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »
Alarm at 4.00
Left home at 4.30
Arrived start at 6.30
Started 7.00
Finished at 8.45 - 12.75 hours
132 miles
Average speed 12.7mph
Max speed 42.7 mph  :o

I enjoyed the ride very much, except the part where it rained very cold rain on us near Little Rissington. I spent the day in the company of Yvonne from Bristol, (not of this parish) JStone (edited for accuracy after he corrected me) and Mac the Bike. We forrmed a very companiable Group Lantern Rouge, and trundled round enjoying the scenery, route and mostly good weather.
Thank you to Mark for organising - nice to have a good chat at the finish. There's a good chance I'll be back for another bash next year.
Lycra Man

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »

Circling Breedon Hill, early morning

"They don'y know what's round the corner"- About to grovel Campden Lane ;D

"More tea Vicar?"

"Beep Beep!"

Autumn Harvest

The last Grump...

Others

Excellent day out; fast flat run over in the morning, middlin' rollers on the way back. Short sharp & cold shower just after Winchcombe, but otherwise sunny all the way round.

Good run back - Grumps over Dowdeswell, The Ridgeway, and a lung-puker upto Whiteway, but otherwise flat/descending plain, letting one blat across at evens :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:44:37 pm »
Looks fab. Would have liked to be along but I'm a bit challenged for getting to Tewkesbury at the moment.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
Look fab. Would have liked to be along but I'm a bit challenged for getting to Tewkesbury at the moment.
Youz hazz bike ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
Look fab. Would have liked to be along but I'm a bit challenged for getting to Tewkesbury at the moment.
Youz hazz bike ;D

Who do you think I am? MattH?

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »
Due to my administrative incompetence I had to scratch from this ride, but with Mark's blessing rode it today as a gps perm instead.  Unfortunately audax etiquet prevented me advertising for company, so I rode it alone (which is how I ride many audaxes, anyway).

I was blessed with perfect weather.  All day.  OK, it was very cold at the start, but I was able to deal with that, and both the rising and setting sun made seeing the road difficult for short times.  But generally the views were great.  All day.  The ride connected some of my very favourite roads (I sound like Michael MacIntyre ;D), and there were very few roads that were not familiar to me either from my childhood, or from various audax events over the years.  But still a couple of roads that I'd not travelled before, and very good they were too.

Another strongly recommended ride.  I understand a perm version will be available 'ere long, too.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2010, 12:15:42 pm »
Edited for accuracy after brane fade:

I spent the day in the company of Yvonne from Bristol, (not of this parish) JStone John Spooner and Mac the Bike. We forrmed a very companiable Group Lantern Rouge, and trundled round enjoying the scenery, route and mostly good weather.

Apologies to all concerned.

Lycra Man

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
Yet another perfect day(well almost) weatherwise, as I have come to expect from the Black Sheep.
He obviously has friends in............ Who else could arrange such weather as well as arrange for GMT to start aweek later, thus giving a chance to those who don`t see potholes in the dark.

Yes, I was one of the final quartet, enabling the youngbloods to push on and not be cluttering up the cafes when we arrived.

Thanks, Jstone,Yvonne and the famous Lycraman for your companionship.I say "famous"   because he apparently reached a speed of 47.5 mph. This would have scared me.....I`m quite happy to achieve 47.5kph, though.

Highlights of the day were :-2 deer, crossing without looking,in front of me
                                             descending into a wonderful valley(Sibford Gower ?)

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #17 on: 25 October, 2010, 02:58:44 pm »
.......................................Continuing highlights: the Latin welcome at Chipping and the brilliant sunrise and sunset.......Maybe blacksheep could arrange to reverse these next year, though.
  Lowlights:- My own, which are not up to the observed Audax standard, AND the patch of rain in the highest, coldest part of the Cotswolds.

A Great day though, Thanks Mark and everyone involved.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: 31 October, 2010, 08:12:09 am »
Ohh, I say. An info phrased inna way that cannot be answered - we're deranged enough, don't need conundrums as well ;)