Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87291 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Beer!
« Reply #25 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:47:24 pm »
This weekend is Brewdog Collab fest, where each of their UK bars got together with a brewer to make 27 new beers. Yesterday we tried getting through them. I was in bed by 8pm  :-[
There were a lot of stouts. I would say these were generally of better quality than the non stouts.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »
Soaring to unparalled levels of Git there, Graeme!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:52:12 pm »
Soaring to unparalled levels of Git there, Graeme!

I'm even giving him a beer allowance. Your audax dollars at work!

« Reply #28 on: 22 October, 2016, 07:34:34 pm »
I'm drinking 'Plum Porter' from Titanic brewery. Not heard of either before.

Not sure about it yet. It seems to actually be flavoured with plums and has a bit of a 'newky brown' nose. I suspect it might be better served not so cold, so I'm leaving the bottle out of the fridge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: 22 October, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »
A new micropub opened in Queenborough the other day so I popped in on the way home this evening. Totally unsurprised to find a bunch of acquaintances in there. Managed a couple (Gadds Seaside and Kent Brewery Session Pale)before being dragged home by Mrs n for Strictly. A carry out of Hopdaemon's Incubus softened the blow though. I'm definitely liking this idea of opening a pub any old where.
Regarding the craft v. real ale debate - I couldn't give a tinker's toss what it's called - if I like it I'll drink it. I've been taking advantage of Morrison's offers too - mainly with tins from Pistonhead.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:36:22 pm »
Week commencing 31st Oct, I'll be back in Aberdeen, staying close enough to a 6-degrees north pub to pop in, they do good beer as well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 22 October, 2016, 11:16:56 pm »
Week commencing 31st Oct, I'll be back in Aberdeen, staying close enough to a 6-degrees north pub to pop in, they do good beer as well
Give us a shout if you fancy company...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »
Appropriate for here: Single Speed Equinox from Fixed Wheel Brewery was on at my local last night. Hoppy, American style IPA, fruity and very pleasant.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »
This weekend is Brewdog Collab fest, where each of their UK bars got together with a brewer to make 27 new beers. Yesterday we tried getting through them. I was in bed by 8pm  :-[
There were a lot of stouts. I would say these were generally of better quality than the non stouts.

We got through 10 of them yesterday evening, I liked them all. Would have tried a few more, but the world was starting to list to starboard. There were a couple of good ones that the Sheffalump Brewdog didn't have on tap and they'd run out of the local Iced Tea Dead People.

Castlegate & Stewart Brewing
They’re Coming to Get Rhu Barbra (4.5%) Sour pale ale with rhubarb

Clapham & Anspach & Hobday
The Marmalade Saison (5.6%) Saison with Bermondsey marmalade

DogHouse Glasgow & Fyne Ales
Heather Loch Beer (5.5%) Smoked pink peppercorn and heather-infused witbier

Dundee & Alechemy
Chocorange is the New Black (4.7%) Orange-infused milk stout

Glasgow & Dead End Brew Machine
The Glasgow Project (6.4%) Cherry and bourbon oaked saison

Norwich & Brew By Numbers
17|08 Table Saison – Mustard & Sea Salt (3.0%) Mustard & sea salt saison

Shoreditch & Weird Beard
Dead By Dawn (5.5%) Cherry breakfast stout

Soho & Fourpure Brewing Co
Mangoes into a Bar (5.0%) Sour mango wheat beer

Southampton & Dancing Man Brewery
Black's the New Orange (4.1%) Orange Jaffa Cake stout

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #34 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:57:00 pm »
Whatever happened to BEER tasting like, well, BEER ???

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #35 on: 24 October, 2016, 06:06:53 pm »
Managed a couple (Gadds Seaside and Kent Brewery Session Pale)before being dragged home by Mrs n for Strictly.

A clear case of "from the sublime to the ridiculous".
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #36 on: 24 October, 2016, 06:13:32 pm »

Exactly, it should taste of malt and hops. None of this namby  pamby adding a fucking fruit salad. If I want fruit, I'll go to the greengrocers, if I want beer I'll go to the pub. As if sticking half a fruit salad in my beer (yes, I am looking at you, Sol and Blue Moon), forget about it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #37 on: 24 October, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »

Exactly, it should taste of malt and hops. None of this namby  pamby adding a fucking fruit salad. If I want fruit, I'll go to the greengrocers, if I want beer I'll go to the pub. As if sticking half a fruit salad in my beer (yes, I am looking at you, Sol and Blue Moon), forget about it.
If you like - but it's not as though beer tasting beer is exactly unavailable. There are gazillions more varieties about now than when I was a callow yoof. The new weird tasting stuff is in addition to the beery beer - not replacing it. Which, to my way of thinking, is an extremely good thing.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #38 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:38:51 pm »
I remember many years ago buying a pint of what appeared to be Perfectly Normal BEER which turned out to have been infused with fucking banananananas >:(

ian

« Reply #39 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:52:11 pm »

It is all beer. It's the great thing that a few simple ingredients can be moulded into such a variety of styles and tastes. Ordinary beer is available for the purists.

Larrers, I did buy a couple of bottles of Siren's Blacklight Banana.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #40 on: 24 October, 2016, 09:04:34 pm »
Dunno what the filthy bananananana-tasting horror was that I had foisted on me but it was at least fifteen years ago and on draught in the White Lion of Mortimer in Crouch End.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #41 on: 24 October, 2016, 09:55:28 pm »
On my way home from my first trip to Masham this week. What exactly is the law regarding fermented sports drinks and cycling?

ElyDave

« Reply #42 on: 24 October, 2016, 11:20:41 pm »
Give us a shout if you fancy company...

What day's best for you? I'm up there monday, depart friday, weds best avoided as we close out on Thurs, but Thurs ok as Fri is just report writing.

With a colleague who will be happy to drink beer an eat bar food

« Reply #43 on: 25 October, 2016, 08:39:36 am »
Dunno what the filthy bananananana-tasting horror was that I had foisted on me but it was at least fifteen years ago and on draught in the White Lion of Mortimer in Crouch End.

Probably Wells's Banana Bread Beer. I must admit I quite like it, though it would be a bit of a shock if unexpected.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #44 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
I reckon that if they'd mentioned banananananas on the pump I wouldn't have bought it.

ian

« Reply #45 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:25:08 am »
I've not drunk the Blacklight Banana yet but it promises 'blowtorched bananas.' My working day would be a lot better if I got to blowtorch fruit. I'd like to singe a kiwi fruit. Maybe scald a lemon. With water, there's no point telling them off. I know, that's scald, you idiot.

On my northern adventure I also scored some Honey Whisky Smoked Imperial Porter and Black Forest Strannik Imperial Stout from Northern Monk and a couple of bottles of Mandarin IPA from Mad Hatter.

ElyDave

« Reply #46 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:53:18 am »
not a great fan of the bananananana beer, or Badger's peach infused beer  :sick:, but I do quite like the Ruddles Rhubarb

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #47 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:26:57 am »
The best name I can remember was "Comrade Bill Bartrams Egalitarian Anti Imperialist Soviet Stout", which I tried at a local beer festival a few years back.  Sadly this pre-dates my usage of the app, and was the first or second beer tasted during a fairly hefty session, so I have no idea whether I liked it or not.

You liked it, I was there.  But I don't remember exactly where.

ian

« Reply #48 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:07:10 am »
I did quite like the names Mangoes into a Bar, Heather Loch Beer, They're Coming to Get Rhu Barbra and Iced Tea Dead People. They didn't have I'm A Lumberjack (But I'm Oak Aged) on, unfortunately. Or Brimful of Masha.

« Reply #49 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:22:15 am »
I'm all for innovation.

My approach is this: I try something. If I like it I continue to use/drink/eat it. If I don't like it I don't.

But I certainly don't preclude trying anything, on the grounds of bigotry or narrow-minded dedicated views on what something 'should' be.

I've just stocked up on Blue Moon.  :P