Author Topic: The WiFi crowd  (Read 5490 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The WiFi crowd
« Reply #25 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
Or a problem on the link between the End User and the LNS?
Like an ADSL problem, or backhaul congestion between the local exchange and Sky's LNS?
Is the local exchange Sky LLU? or are they using BT backhaul?
We don't know how full sky run their pipes.
I imagine they don't tell, as it's 'commercially sensitive'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:44:43 pm »
Like an ADSL problem, or backhaul congestion between the local exchange and Sky's LNS?

Wouldn't that cause packet loss on all subsequent hops, thobut?

Feanor

« Reply #27 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:57:43 pm »

Wouldn't that cause packet loss on all subsequent hops, thobut?

Yes, I'd expect so too.
But I've not seen a traceroute response quite like that before, so Not Knowing.
I've not seen that particular GUI tool before.
Is it possible that GUI traceroute tool is subtracting losses between hops, to give a per-hop loss rather than cumulative, in an attempt to show where the losses are occouring?

Feanor

« Reply #28 on: 07 December, 2016, 09:55:47 pm »
Regarding the IPv6, I've just had a discussion elsewhere, and it looks like they are doing stuff vaguely right.

The router is picking up a /64 from sky automatically via -PD ( DHCPv6 prefix delegation ), and advertising it on the LAN via regular RAs.
It seems this is not static, but 'sticky', and should remain for more than a single connection session.
But beyond that, it's possible your prefix will change and all your kit will re-number.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #29 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:07:23 pm »
Yeah I keep moving from living in Leeds to living in Manchester, depending on my IP.

Side note I logged into my Dropbox at MiL, who also lives in the north. But Dropbox was sure that I was I Hythe. I guess that is where one of the cables connects to this island.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Feanor

« Reply #30 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
Oh, Geo-located IPs are a waste of time.
Apparently, there's no end of girls looking for bald 50-somethings like me in Bracknell.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »
That sort of thing's perfectly normal.  Usually it's because someone's made a list of IP ranges, guessed where they're being used (often using such cunning algorithms as "your ISP name has a word in it that's the same as this suburb of Nottingham" or "just return the centre of mass of USAnia") and sold it as a location service.

It has little, if anything, to do with the actual topography of the network.

Ob-xkcd:

ETA: Crosspost with a bald 50-something in Bracknell.

Feanor

« Reply #32 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:16:20 pm »
:-)

« Reply #33 on: 08 December, 2016, 12:31:43 pm »

It should always be the ingress interface of the traceroute packet. So it should be the LAN interface of your home routers then the interface of the ISP router that's facing your LAN router and so on.

I was thinking some proxy ARP or link-local shenanigans might complicate that, but mostly because I wasn't paying attention and missed SkyRouter.Home  (WTF with the camelcase?)
[/quote]

If there is some proxy arp going on then your packet will be going to whatever is proxy arping and that's still your router even if it might not be the router you thought you were going to. Link local doesn't really apply with IPv4 (well it does but if your using a link local address you arent going to be able to talk to anything on another subnet). Anyway this is now getting arcane (for non computer geeks) and irrelevant to the issue.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Feanor

« Reply #34 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »
The fe80: IPv6 link-local addresses are equivalent to the 169.254.0.0/16 address range in IPv4, but it's used more in real life.
Router's RAs include the on-link Link-Local address of the router in the announcements, and it's to that address that forwarded packets are sent.
It's the only place I've seen Link-Local addresses in actual use.

Here's a snip of the ND Cache on this machine:

Code: [Select]
Internet Address                                   Physical Address     Type
--------------------------------------------       -----------------    -----------
2001:8b0:b7:1::3                                   3c-4a-92-77-aa-b6    Reachable
2001:8b0:b7:1::4                                   3c-4a-92-6f-ee-14    Reachable
2001:8b0:b7:1:315e:f4d3:d909:a92b                  3c-4a-92-77-aa-b6    Stale
2001:8b0:b7:1:6180:b1f6:7426:e07d                  3c-4a-92-6f-ee-14    Stale
fe80::203:97ff:fe12:e403                           00-03-97-12-e4-03    Reachable (Router)