Author Topic: Effing Windoze again! (Win 7)  (Read 2683 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Effing Windoze again! (Win 7)
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »
When I hear the name Bing I think of fizzy pop as it was the name of a fizzy drink we used to have in the 1960's when I was a lad.
It was still possible to buy Bing in Deal in the late 90s.  Haven't noticed it on sale recently.

As far as Windows Updates goes;  I'm firmly in the "set Update to manual start" in Services and then running Update at a time to suit me.  I don't need MS deciding to force a reboot on me when I'm working to a deadline.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »
I've now set it to not check at all for updates.   I'll do an updates check when I take my lunch break.

let's see if this improves performance first thing every day.

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2016, 06:19:17 pm »
When I hear the name Bing I think of fizzy pop as it was the name of a fizzy drink we used to have in the 1960's when I was a lad.
It was still possible to buy Bing in Deal in the late 90s.  Haven't noticed it on sale recently.

As far as Windows Updates goes;  I'm firmly in the "set Update to manual start" in Services and then running Update at a time to suit me.  I don't need MS deciding to force a reboot on me when I'm working to a deadline.

I'm surprised it lasted that long.

« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2016, 07:07:26 pm »
I think it was last night, my normally tolerably functional old laptop was unbearably slow for no apparent reason.  This am. I was doing some internet banking had a load of windows open...  then, windows just begin to quit one by one, without any warning, and yes you guessed it, windows update!    >:( :facepalm:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2016, 06:15:17 pm »
Well, it had a doze on startup again today but not for nearly as long and also not a total freeze at times.

It would appear that m$ really do want to force updates.   Ba$tard$!

« Reply #30 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:08:43 pm »
They almost certainly do. It would make their life much easier if they only had one or two versions of anything to support. And their life being easier might even result in some better engineered software. M$ are very jealous of the way 90+% of Apple kit runs on the latest version of their operating systems.
The alternative might be to say "we don't support Win 7 anymore--so no more security updates".
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #31 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:25:02 pm »
I suppose it's inevitable that I'll eventually migrate.   It'll probably happen with a replacement SSD for the standard hard drive.   What bothers me is that the machine works perfectly well most of the time and I therefore see no reason to change.   I stuck with XP until 2013 when the old desktop was passed on.  I'd had it for 12 years iirc.   

I've never been a fan of change for change's sake.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #32 on: 14 May, 2016, 11:15:49 pm »
Well, it had a doze on startup again today but not for nearly as long and also not a total freeze at times.

From what I've read, I think that's correct.

The Windows Update that offers Win10 can be told to Fuck Off, but it re-appears in a slightly re-morphed form a short time later.
It's been described as behaving like malware, on account of it's ever-changing properties, and whatever you did to tell it to Fuck Off last time no longer works.

I'm slightly insulated from it because my home network is a Windows Domain, and I have Group Policies in place.
MS seem to have decided not to piss of their corporate clients by having the Win10 pop-ups on all the Domain PCs, and having random end-users trying to update.

But if you are not on a Domain, I think that no matter how many times you say 'No, thank you' to that particular update, it's going to re-appear like a virus.

Andrew

« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2016, 07:26:08 am »
And yet I have not seen a single 'update to Win10' message on our Win7 box.

I'm glad I haven't because the temptation, to this serial and addicted 'player', might prove too great. Throwing yourself down a hole is a great way to learn how to climb etc.

« Reply #34 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:21:46 pm »
I might have been slightly unfair to Micro$haft.  Yesterday I discovered a lurking avg search on startup even though avg has been uninstalled and replaced with avast. 

I will not know if this has been the cause of my freezing machine now until I get back from France and use it again.  Certainly better today though.