Author Topic: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner  (Read 3652 times)

Re: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner
« Reply #75 on: Today at 08:12:18 am »
If I was entitled to cycle in the middle of a carriageway I would be happy to monitor my speedo.  Unfortunately I have to cycle near the kerb and I don't have the time/space to take my eyes off the road to do so. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #76 on: Today at 08:53:57 am »
If I was entitled to cycle in the middle of a carriageway I would be happy to monitor my speedo.  Unfortunately I have to cycle near the kerb and I don't have the time/space to take my eyes off the road to do so. 

That sounds awfully similar to the argument that it's simply impossible for motorists to obey speed limits as to do so would entail gazing rigidly at their speedometer, to the exclusion of any observation of the road.

Personally when I'm driving I find little trouble looking at several things in rapid succession - road ahead, mirror, road ahead, other mirror, road ahead, speedo, road ahead again (you get the idea ...) and modifying my speed and direction according to this stream of visual inputs.

I think it's a shame you don't feel you have the cognitive abilities to do something similar while cycling, and wonder whether or not you feel able to trust yourself in charge of a motor vehicle.

« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:06:23 am »

Perhaps Rule 72 might be useful? You are allowed to ride in the centre of your lane when appropriate.
I find the primary riding position very useful.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-cyclists-road-junctions.html

« Reply #78 on: Today at 11:20:11 am »

That sounds awfully similar to the argument that it's simply impossible for motorists to obey speed limits as to do so would entail gazing rigidly at their speedometer, to the exclusion of any observation of the road.

Personally when I'm driving I find little trouble looking at several things in rapid succession - road ahead, mirror, road ahead, other mirror, road ahead, speedo, road ahead again (you get the idea ...) and modifying my speed and direction according to this stream of visual inputs.

I think it's a shame you don't feel you have the cognitive abilities to do something similar while cycling, and wonder whether or not you feel able to trust yourself in charge of a motor vehicle.

It is similarly awful. A very poor comparison!

I don't feel infallible just walking down the street, let alone controlling machinery.  I live in a state of constant fear.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #79 on: Today at 11:45:32 am »
TV's Nice C Boardman notes that one is more likely to be killed by cows or lightning than by being skittled by a cyclist but even the party that introduced government by because we said so seems reluctant to legislate against either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime