Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Speed wobble
« Last post by finch on Today at 01:49:13 pm »
Today I was coasting down a hill that I go down regularly , on the same bike I ride regularly and experienced a little bit of speed wobble which personally I found quite frightening.

There have been a couple of changes since my last ride down the hill which include - different tyres - 30c down to 28c and probably much more supple running at their max of 87psi - this could be a touch higher I’ll need to check

It was a bad day weather wise and I started getting a little touch of the dreaded Mavic howl at high speed coasting - it was happening when I got the speed wobble and the chain was hanging down inside the stay - obviously I was looking down and assessing this when it started - and I’m wondering about possible causes

The front wheel is true , the tyre is seated properly and the headset “feels” fine

Could it have been from the drag and chain suck and my weird position looking down at it ?

Perhaps tyres slightly too hard ?
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 01:48:31 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 05/05:
*62/62 words (+8 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 10% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 14
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by rr on Today at 01:48:17 pm »
Wordle 1,051 3/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 01:45:34 pm »
So, a lively night last night.

First up, haunting mystical Cerys Hafana

Then Graham Reynolds, completely bonkers film score creator and more, here bashing a piano stool on a cymbal on a large drum...

Then SFA Gruff Rhys

and finally a DJ set from Jarvis Cocker.

All conducted under a vary dark light...
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 01:41:25 pm »
50k on the Faran yesterday

Finally got the S40 in order and did a 50k on that this morning. Thought I'd limit it to 50k whilst my bent legs were retraining. Got off the bike and realised I should have limited it to 30-35, oh my glutes!

Still, great fun zipping along at 34kmh with a heart rate of about 135. I'm not necessarily faster on it,  just have heart rate 10-15 bpm lower for a given speed
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 01:36:46 pm »
Great start
Racing / Re: RATN 2024.
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 01:34:05 pm »
She is now about 30-40 mins out from the finish.
Folders / Re: What folding e-bike? Engwe any good?
« Last post by Tod28 on Today at 01:25:02 pm »
We bought a couple of Furo Systems X Max back in 2001, carbon folding frame & forks, 350Wh batteries, Shimano hydraulic discs & 9 speed for the motorhome. (only available in their "outlet" now - I assume they don't have a shipment on the way at the moment).

Pretty good bikes and well spec'd.  Only the tyres are a bit of a let down but I haven't been ale to wear them out to justify replacement with some decent BMX tyres. Folding's fine and at ca 15kg are easy to lift out of the car boot and in and out of the motorhome.
My wife isn't so keen on folding bike riding and she's now wary of the hyd discs having 'grabbed a handfull' on a fast downhill forgetting she wasn't on her road bike with (rim brakes and small hands, but then she's a creature of habit!) We have now 'electrified' the road bikes so don't take the folders when away in the van.  The Furo's are a decent folder and a good ride (saddle and tyres excepted) I use mine for utility riding and can be quite a blast. Have done up to 40-50 miles a ride when we did use them touring in the motorhome.

The main weight contributor to most electric bikes is the tendency to build them like e-mopeds.  Batteries weight is about 1.8-2.0 kg for 350Wh depending on whether the battery is 10s2p for 36v or 10s3p. Electrified the road bikes for a total up weight of 4.2 kg. I don't really notice the extra weight and don't use the electric!
As of 2 days ago my wife’s phone - iPhone XR running IOS 17.4.1 - has stopped giving text alert tones. Rings fine, WhatsApp tone ok, just no text tones. I’ve reset it and restored it, turned off “focus”, turned the volume control down and up.  Nada. No idea if it’s related to the no alarms issue, but not worth several hundred pound to fix.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 12:55:36 pm »
Well, that wasn't what was wanted, a 2-day loss. Well done Somerset - I don't think the pitch was up to standard, but no-one can control the weather. Vic Marks suggested it would become truer as it dried out, so it was a good toss to win. So it appeared. The clincher was the 75-run partnership for the first wicket in Somerset's second innings. If Essex had had a nother 20 or 30 runs to bowl at, then I reckon they could well have won.

Kent ought to beat Lancs, given that there's a day to go, but they don't want Lancs setting them too stiff a target. I feel a bit sorry for Lancs - they seem to have become a weaker side this season: last year, and the year before, Essex and Lancs seemed to be well-matched, with a win a piece, and I think Lancs were the only team to beat Surrey last year. This year they simply haven't got going. Essex beat them with the greatest of ease a few weeks back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10