Author Topic: Member survey  (Read 12574 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Member survey
« Reply #100 on: 13 April, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »
There are a few PROFs (Permanent Rides on Foreign Soil) that count for AUK points , including quite a few in the Alps as well as a full SR series in Corsica.

Where are these listed? If we can't ride we might as well plan, and dream.
The current search facility doesn't help much.
is the Perms control map still up?
Iirc that was a quick way to find rides àbroad.

This one? https://maps.hertsaudax.uk/audax-uk-permanents/

Yes it is, and yes it is! In that order! ;) :P
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #101 on: 13 April, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
Yes good point, I'd forgotten about the map!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #102 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:29:31 am »
Not everyone has a printer let alone a laminater.

You could also offer up the barcode on your phone screen.

I accept that some people may not own a printer or a phone but everyone has some commercial access to getting something printed out in this country.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #103 on: 14 April, 2020, 09:35:47 am »
If an event needs to be rescheduled to the following season, and right now we are seeing all of them having to face this, it would be nice to transfer the riders automatically (if they wish) without them having to manually complete and sign a new entry form. This is not necessary if rescheduling for the same Audax season, but currently it is simply not possible.
It is a huge logistical task if an organisers has 100+ riders already signed up.
The alternative is to refund them all, which involves some losses inevitably.

If that's a real issue it shouldn't be difficult to fix (transfering entrants to a new event number).  I'll talk to Ian about it.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

S2L

« Reply #104 on: 14 April, 2020, 07:57:27 pm »
If an event needs to be rescheduled to the following season, and right now we are seeing all of them having to face this, it would be nice to transfer the riders automatically (if they wish) without them having to manually complete and sign a new entry form. This is not necessary if rescheduling for the same Audax season, but currently it is simply not possible.
It is a huge logistical task if an organisers has 100+ riders already signed up.
The alternative is to refund them all, which involves some losses inevitably.

If that's a real issue it shouldn't be difficult to fix (transfering entrants to a new event number).  I'll talk to Ian about it.

Transferring entries is not the problem, I think it is an insurance matter, they need to resign the form... I think...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #105 on: 15 April, 2020, 01:02:01 pm »
Not everyone has a printer let alone a laminater.

You could also offer up the barcode on your phone screen.

I accept that some people may not own a printer or a phone but everyone has some commercial access to getting something printed out in this country.
It's quite tech-happy for an organisation that asks people to put cheques in envelopes!

I remember a couple of years ago there was a suggestion that AUK produce membership cards. I think the idea was to use the membership to negotiate discounts at suitable places as an additional member benefit, but it would also solve the printing and laminating at one stroke.

At least for members. I'm not sure what you'd do for non-members (nor am I really sure what the original problem was that barcodes or numbers were supposed to solve... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #106 on: 15 April, 2020, 07:14:00 pm »
AUK has membership cards, but they are for members to download and print themselves.

No barcodes on them and, as you say, doesn't help non-members.

I'm still not sure what specific problem is trying to be solved here.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #107 on: 16 April, 2020, 10:36:18 am »
Easy enough to include a barcode if there is a format that can be agreed, there's a zillion different formats out there.  But as you say, all that is doing is replacing a 5-digit number which is no big deal for someone to key in.  A barcode that is both event-specific and rider-specific is a more powerful tool, but much more difficult to arrange. 
Personally I would just click people through using a live Start List on a smartphone - the main difficulty with that is restricting access to the list to the appropriate helpers.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #108 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »
I suppose the other thing is that I've occasionally forgotten to take my phone on events. No big deal unless it's the sole means of recording your travels...

« Reply #109 on: 20 April, 2020, 11:10:29 pm »
Hopefully members saw the article about the survey in the recent Arrivee. It's now gone live and the first emails went out a few minutes ago. If you don't have one yet, don't panic as they are going out in batches by surname letter (As and Ls so far) - this does mean that one person in a household may have their survey but others won't yet if you don't share a surname.  The rest will be sent out in the next day or so.

Your input will be much appreciated.

I am happy to report I have never received one of these  :thumbsup: