Author Topic: Straightening a twisted SKS mudguard  (Read 804 times)

Afasoas

Straightening a twisted SKS mudguard
« on: 30 December, 2023, 10:15:44 am »
The cheap Audax bike I bought came supplied with a pair of the traditional SKS full mudguards, which look to have been stored separately for some time.

The front mudguard is a bit twisted up, and try as I might, I can't stop the one side of the leading end (ahead of the steerer tube) from rubbing the sidewall of front tyre. I've adjusted and bent the stays as much as I can. The front calliper brake is not contacting the mudguard when the brakes are applied.

Has anyone had any joy straightening out a twisted mudguard?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Straightening a twisted SKS mudguard
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2023, 10:54:10 am »
I'd try gentle heat. Pour boiling water from a kettle, wait a short while, then twist ( possibly over twist) and let cool. Hot air gun would be the next step.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2023, 01:04:10 pm »
After mine was eaten by a pannier coming loose, I managed to persuade it back to approximately straight by over-adjusting the stays in the opposite direction for a few days.

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2024, 04:33:19 pm »
Applying heat and holding the front of the mudguard in place was surprisingly effective. Front of the front mudguard is now truer than a true thing.

I had the same issue with the rear, originally resolved using the KimTM method of over-bending the stays. After a few days unattended, the rear tyre was rubbing again. I slackend off the stays and re-adjusted again, this time with the heat option. I think I got a bit too much heat involved and the guard is a little mishapen around one of the rear-stay brackets. It's functional - no clearance issues anymore - just looks a bit beaten up. A cautionary tail for anyone else tempted to try this.

Still, saved me admitting defeat and buying a new set of mudguards (I'd lost hours trying to make them fit).

Even with a relatively low heat setting, these guards get melty very quickly!
I hope one day to use this property to huge advantage ... maybe extending the front mudguard.

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2024, 08:51:48 pm »
How much heat and from where?

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2024, 04:12:01 pm »
Heatgun set to about hair dryer hot. Maybe a scooch more. Held a few inches away from the guard.

This story hasn't ended too well. I got to the point, no matter what angle I looked at the tyres, there's load of clearance. Suspending or upending the bike and spinning the wheels - they are running freely. But as soon as I sit on the bike, that sound of tyre rubbing against rear guard is back, haunting me. And in an effort to address the problem, out on a ride this afternoon, I snapped the rear guard. Stupid I know.

I think I'm going to write this bike off. It was a cheap frame. It's been used for an american coast-to-coast and goodness knows what else. I can't find any cracks in the frame, but it's not filling me with confidence. Neither is the creak that seems to come from the bottom bracket area whilst I'm climbing.

The wheels are true and none of the spokes are loose. I've gained a few pounds over the years, but I'm not that portly.
Some battles are won. Some are lost. This was only ever intended as a stop gap. Once we got to a thousand miles, I was going to treat myself to what I really wanted.
I might just have to do that a little sooner than anticipated.