🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#LeMOT 874 2/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
#LeMotLeJeu

https://www.solitaire-play.com/lemot/
OT Gallery / Re: Bridges for CrinklyLion (and everyone else!)
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:30:56 am »
Oh look, Grady's done a bridge-pr0n-fest:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_zkaK5PaI  (may contain enginerding or traces of enginerding)
Freewheeling / Re: Ridden a carbon framed bike?
« Last post by citoyen on Yesterday at 11:51:36 pm »
I'd be willing to bet that the frames on those two bikes are the same.

Probably… the bottom line is that “cheap” and unremarkable are not linked, just like “expensive” and “remarkable” aren’t.
You can get an amazingly light and responsive frame from the likes of Hongfu for just over 500quid last time I looked and they are truly amazing frames.
A reasonably priced Dolan Etape is an infinitely bett than the Emonda SL at a fraction of the price, so the equation really doesn’t stack up. Planet X used to make pretty impressive carbon bikes for not very much money at all.Maybe now that has changed.
You might have lucked out on the Supersix, which in rim brake version was a notoriously good frame, both in normal and HM version… but that is not to say that high end means remarkable.

In my days of working on cycling mags, I got to ride a lot of different carbon bikes. You really can tell the difference in the high end bikes. I had a custom Emonda, can’t recall what model, but it was listed at £9k in 2015 so probably more like £15k at today’s prices. It was terrifying to ride. Extraordinarily responsive. And bloody fast. Of course, that would be down to the frame geometry as much as the material.

Had a Focus Izalco as well, which at the time was the first off-the-shelf sub-7kg disc-brake road bike. So nippy that I was even able to keep up with zigzag for the first 30k of a 200k Audax until my legs started complaining. There’s just something about a bike like that that makes you want to ride fast.

Got to ride Elia Viviani’s Pinarello Dogma once. I got his bike because I’m about the same height as him but of course the pros ride tiny frames fitted with long seat posts and stems, so not the size of bike I’d normally ride. It was a very strange experience but I got on with it much better than the Emonda, strangely. 

Also had a Domane to do LEJOG and it was an absolute delight to ride even though it was only an upper mid range model. Similarly an Orbea Avant, which I used for a couple of 400 and 600 audaxes. Very fast  and very comfortable. I also did a 600 on an aluminium Domane and that was also a very nice ride but not as comfortable as the carbon model.

The Canyon Aeroad was a very different beast - built for straight line speed, very stiff.

One of my favourites was the Canyon Ultimate, which I think was just about the perfect sportive bike and ideal for a rider of my ability. A fast but very manageable bike.

I still have a Giant Defy in the garage, which has served me well over the years. It’s my standard Audax bike and very capable of the job but would be even better if it could take larger than 28mm tyres (as the more recent models can). It’s a good all-round workhorse of a bike - spritely yet stable and easy to handle, and comfortable over long distances.

There are many others I can’t recall now, some good, some not so good. But anyway, what it all comes down to is that carbon bikes are incredibly varied and frame geometry and components will make big differences to the ride quality, as much as the material. So the question shouldn’t be “Should I get a carbon bike?” but “Which carbon bike will suit my needs?”

Sorry to hear about your accident Garry, I hope you heal quickly and can get back on the bike again soon.

I remember when you last had this issue after the Dean in 2012 and had a very narrow escape.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54579.msg1195786#msg1195786
Audax / Re: Asparagus and Strawberries 2024
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Yesterday at 11:28:39 pm »
Hm, menu for "the limes" in Fakenham says kitchen shuts at 11pm

Also I note the "ACME Routes" RwGPS route is from a recording (the trip to the ATM in saffron walden gives it away) and has no cue sheet.

I suspect I'll be at wells after 9, not got beyond 100km since trashing my ankle.

One of the reasons for picking this was I recognise some of the names on the route sheet from "The Coot Club" and the other Broads based Swallows and Amazons.

Edit: Looking things over Wells Co-Op claims to shut at 10pm and is a Central Co-Op. I'm struggling to see any outdoor ATMs or other options.

Also this is not Friday and I should stop now (change in work rota is confusing me still)
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by grams on Yesterday at 10:52:36 pm »
The same applies to fences on routers and jigsaws - either use the clamped straight edge method - or for a router I have a fitting that works with the tracksaw rail.  Accurate every time.

The only way to cut a presentable straight line with a jigsaw is to put it back on the shelf and use something else.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by spesh on Yesterday at 10:47:05 pm »
Oh Yeah - Yello
Audax / Re: Asparagus and Strawberries 2024
« Last post by mmmmartin on Yesterday at 10:42:56 pm »
When i did it years and years ago i bought stuff to eat and drink in the co-op (closed at 9pm i think) on the North coast, and i think the instructions said turn left. Which i did. 70k later i arrived at barton mills (i think) where i found half a dozen riders asleep on the floor of the garage shop there. So i joined them, much to the bemusement of the young lady at the cash desk.

Happy days
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10