Author Topic: Navel Gazing  (Read 1226 times)

Navel Gazing
« on: 31 December, 2019, 11:29:02 am »
Here you go.

Prompted by a look at the forum stats, I was looking at the year on year decline in activity in here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t37mxkWIZuEE28Jk8JYmDc4uZOzJmMD1mvSFEoerF_8/edit?usp=sharing (everyone has edit rights)

A reflection of the changing attitudes of online behaviour, or the development of an echo chamber? Maybe both. One number that would be interesting would be the active members number, year on year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Navel Gazing
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2019, 12:19:39 pm »
I expect it's mostly the Facebook[1] effect.  And of course Real Life happens and people drift in and out of cycling.

Harder to quantify is the trend in forum-organised activities.  In the last few years we've had fewer forum social rides, a steady assortment of camping (and similar) weekends, but something of a shift towards more ACME-style audax activities.

Many of us are doing things with fellow forumites that are organised elsewhere, eg. through the Association of Lightweight Campers and The Fridays and so on.

[1] Other walled gardens are available.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2019, 12:26:24 pm »
I expect it's mostly the Facebook effect.

Agreed - US company mops up internet activity for its shareholders.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »
Hey! I only wanted 300 members in the first place  ;D

Some of it's Facebook, more of it is ageing (and worse) among the original contingent.  We're a bit esoteric for younger or new cyclists, who - if they use forums at all - probably gravitate to one of the performance-oriented sites like BikeRadar or road.cc. 

It's not a numbers game though, no-one makes any money out of this (except 1&1 Internet) and we can run on 20 active members if we want to.  One of the best forums I ever belonged to was that small and ran off an old laptop under someone's desk at work.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:45:31 pm »
I suppose I've run out of things to say about cycling.  When I discovered URC and UrbanCylist back in the 90s I thought it fantastic.  Back then I didn't have any mates cycling mates and so the ability to chat away endlessly on the subject was wonderful.
I still love this place, and the people in it, but I seem to be getting quieter and quieter.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:39:15 pm »
I too read every day although I do not post every day.  Sometimes I worry about posting too often and sometimes I do not have anything to say.

I feel like many of the people on here are friends although we have never met and i am often scared to meet in case you do not like me.  I have a facebook friend similarly who I discuss many things with and who has helped me with some dark times but i do not meet him.

I will certainly be staying as long as the lights are on. 

Thank you rogerzilla for starting yacf

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:49:13 pm »
I wonder whether the fact that cycling has become more mainstream means there’s a perception that havens such as this are less necessary/desirable? I certainly remember the relief when I discovered C+, and could ‘talk’ about cycling in a way that wasn’t possible IRL for me at that time.

Now I come here for the companionship as much as the cycling stuff.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:55:42 pm »
I think two things have happened.

Firstly, facebook has taken away some of our most prolific posters. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=106 gives some food for thought. Look at the "Last active" date. That's one of our founder members and at one time amongst the most active.

Secondly, if we go back long enough, we find that once upon a time those of a right-wing persuasion were wont to air their views and could defend them. Events in that respect have left us all behind and POBI these days has become an echo chamber for people who actually use a few facts in an argument. I mean, these days even Regulator seems reasonable.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2019, 08:34:38 pm »
I certainly don't post daily, but I do dip in most days, just depends ho busy I am.

As with others above, there are people here who I have disclosed more to than family, and would definitely consider friends even though we've never met. Those I have met, even OD, I would also count as friends
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens