Author Topic: It's an RLJ Jim, but not as we know it  (Read 4057 times)

ian

It's an RLJ Jim, but not as we know it
« on: 23 April, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »
Given that I now cycle into central London once or twice a week, I've stopped being surprised by the squadrons of RLJing muppets that patrol our capital's streets. Generally, I just sit back and and watch them go. Usually while concentrating really hard on making their head rotate right off in the hope I've developed hitherto undiscovered telekinetic abilities. One day...

But, the other day, on Holloway Road I was finally surprised by an RLJ. Sitting patiently at the lights, something zips by on the inside.  I look round, and it's a guy on rollerblades being pulled by his dog. Off he goes up Holloway Road at quite a pace.

So there you are, Inuit-stylee RLJing is probably rife in north London. As a south London first, I plan to replicate this stunt later, but with two kittens (checked downstairs, I couldn't find any dogs, so they'll have to do).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: It's an RLJ Jim, but not as we know it
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 06:46:30 pm »
Do red lights apply to rollerskaters?  Possibly not.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Si

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »

I would suggest that in this case yes, as he would probably be viewed in the same was as a horse pulling a wagon. 

No doubt you could have had him for not carrying a bail of hay too  ;)

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »

But if the dog was a Rover..

IGMC
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:40:43 pm »

So there you are, Inuit-stylee RLJing is probably rife in north London. As a south London first, I plan to replicate this stunt later, but with two kittens (checked downstairs, I couldn't find any dogs, so they'll have to do).
Kittens being kittens, you'll find yourself rollerblading up your curtains.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:24:03 am »

Strictly speaking, red lights apply to all road users (except, funnily enough, Royal Mail vans). Rule 175 of  the Highway Code applies to all road users - not just vehicles...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:40:15 am »
There was an article from Chris Juden on something similar, but I can't find it right now.

He was asked about stop lines at traffic lights, where there was an entry to a cycle lane/path (on the pavement) just after the stop line, and whether it was legal to go over the stop line on a red light if you were planning to leave the road and go onto the cycle lane/path.

He said no, as the red light and stop line means stop, regardless of what is after the line.

It was also illegal to dismount and push the bike over the stop line on the road. But dismounting, lifting the bike onto the pavement and pushing it to the start of the cycle path before remounting was ok.

Dismounting, lifting the bike onto the pavement, pushing it past the traffic light and stop line, and going back onto the road would put you on dodgy ground (although exactly why was explained better by him than me).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:46:38 am »
Dismounting, lifting the bike onto the pavement, pushing it past the traffic light and stop line, and going back onto the road would put you on dodgy ground (although exactly why was explained better by him than me).
Because the traffic lights represent a policeman directing traffic, and this behaviour in front of an actual white-gloved copper would put one afoul of the Taking Ye Pisse Statutes of King Henry II?
Not especially helpful or mature

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:15:22 am »
They are replacing the water mains in the neighbourhood of Larrington Towers, which means that there are temporary traffic lights at the roundabout at the top of the road.  Yesterday I and my motorcar reached the lights just as they turned red so, being a gude little boy, I stopped.

This was altogether too much for Mr. A. Twuntinanaudiq7 behind me.  He overtook and went through the red light, narrowly avoiding a head-on with a pair of motorcyclists.  It was sad that the police car was about sixth in line rather than first, as otherwise I think Words may have been Had.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:16:05 pm »

Strictly speaking, red lights apply to all road users (except, funnily enough, Royal Mail vans). Rule 175 of  the Highway Code applies to all road users - not just vehicles...

I thought that lights were advisory to pedestrians, and a skater might well be considered a pedestrian.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2008, 07:26:50 am »

I thought that lights were advisory to pedestrians, and a skater might well be considered a pedestrian.

Crossing lights are advisory to pedestrians - traffic lights aren't.  If a pedestrian were walking along a road (in the road) and came to a junction controlled by lights, then strictly speaking, they would have to obey the directions - although it would be easy for them to get round by stepping off the road  ;D.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2008, 07:56:43 am »
Was he wearing a helmet?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

steveB

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:51:59 am »
Was he wearing a helmet?

I didn't think dogs had to. ;)

« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:18:11 pm »
Crossing lights are advisory to pedestrians - traffic lights aren't.

Got a link to back this up?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.