Author Topic: Wet Wet Wet  (Read 3263 times)

Julian

• samoture
Wet Wet Wet
« on: 15 May, 2008, 12:08:34 pm »
Not the 90s boyband, this morning's weather.

I was cycling damply down Old Oak Road, resplendent in waterproof fluoro yellow and soggy shorts, when a white van undertook me and slowed to my pace in order to allow the passenger to lean over the driver and wolf-whistle out of the window.

I'm sure it was done for irony, but it cheered me up.  ;D

Re: Wet Wet Wet
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
It was the first warm-ish but wet commute for me today. In winter it's easy, slap on the waterproofs and Goretex boots. Today I had to decide what level of clothing to wear as I'd either get soaked and cold by the rain/wind, or boil in the bag. Shorts and my Gore windproof with the sleeves attached but the back zipped out did the job; I was wet on arrival but nowhere near as wet as I was ten minutes later in the shower :-)

Nobody wolf-whistled me though, s'not fair  :(

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:26:46 pm »
I'm annoyed >:(  (ed:  what's new?)

I've been looking forward to today's commute since Saturday.  The first day of forecasted pleasant weather instead of that horrible heat wave that saps energy.

I overslept and thanks to leaving so late it made much more sense to drive to work (only took 15 minutes!) as there is no traffic outside the rush hour gridlock.  I had to be in on time for a long succession of meetings.

Bugger.

* looks out of window at lovely wetness and dreams of how pleasant and refreshing it must be *

* looks at telephone headset tethering me to my desk *

Not fair!  I wanna go out and play!!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:31:24 pm »
Unfortunately, the good old splash of light refreshing rain doesn't happen if your commute involves an industrial estate in Willesden. 

"Pleasant" and "refreshing" becomes "toxic" and "snot-coloured"1

1Black, of course.

CathH

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:32:12 pm »
how pleasant and refreshing it must be

You are not wrong, it was beautiful.   :thumbsup:  I suffer when the temperature rises too, although I thought that yesterday was just about right.  I understand that tomorrow will bring more of the same though.  Splish splash!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:37:58 pm »
Took raceblades off before IoW.
Bugger.

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:40:15 pm »
You lot wanna come up north - no sign of rain, but it's lovely and cloudy on the east coast and people are actually whingeing about how cold it is...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:42:58 pm »
The first day of forecasted pleasant weather instead of that horrible heat wave that saps energy.

You're a miserable bugger, Nutty  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:44:59 pm »
The first day of forecasted pleasant weather instead of that horrible heat wave that saps energy.

Aye :)

The last 2 weeks or so, I've been out by 6:15 to make the most of the glorious cool misty early morn, blossoming into a sunny day.  This morning I coudn't be bothered cos it was pissing down.

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:52:51 pm »
It was me that made it rain, I bought a new summer jersey and it has just landed on my desk from wiggle. Sorry.

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »

<--------------   Updated.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:00:05 pm »
:-*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:41:01 pm »
You lot wanna come up north - no sign of rain, but it's lovely and cloudy on the east coast and people are actually whingeing about how cold it is...

'Tis a bit on the grey side but no rain. And I can still see Fife.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:46:13 pm »
:( I'd decided to get out for a ride on the Woodrup, but now my motivation is...

...um...

...I'm sure I left it lying around here somewhere....
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:53:31 pm »
So it'll be raining in about half an hour then? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:32:15 pm »

..d

Not that far north :) I'm in Teesdale and it's so grey I can't even see the Yorkshire Dales.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:43:04 pm »
It chucked it down here (North Cornwall) last night.  Water pouring in via holes in roof and overflowing rainwater tank.  I'll be glad to get back to my bikes in Derby tomorrow.
(Wonders if, after 10 days bikeless, he can remember how to clip-in.  Then realises that that isn't the problem, but clipping-out might be...)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »
It is nice when it is this sort of rain though - not the drenching stuff - just the pleasant plop plop plop.  Everything smells so nice after a wash from Mother Nature.

« Reply #18 on: 16 May, 2008, 10:42:09 am »

I'm more miserable today.  Was really looking forward to riding in this glorious weather, until Mrs Nutty commented that she's in London today so needed a lift to the station.

It's quicker and better for me to drive to work than to drive back home and get the bike out :(