Author Topic: Athletics  (Read 2106 times)

LEE

Athletics
« on: 13 August, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
Christine Ohuruogu winning the 400m.

Blimey, that was exciting.  Just sayin'.

Amantle Montsho probably wished she'd "dipped" for the line instead of preparing her celebrations.  Reminded me of Mark Cavendish stealing a sprint a few years back.

Re: Athletics
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:44:31 am »
Yes, that was great, though I only saw it as a replay.  She is a wonderful competitor.  I wonder how many people saw the world's greatest ever (thus far) athlete winning her 11th championship gold?  Tirunesh Dibaba is undefeated in major championships.  Usain Bolt was good, too.  Pole vault was a good competition, too.

Anyone getting sick of the sprinters trying (and completely failing) to do amusing mimes on the start line, a la Bolt (who is amusing)?

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:12:31 am »
Anyone getting sick of the sprinters trying (and completely failing) to do amusing mimes on the start line, a la Bolt (who is amusing)?

I'm getting very sick of long jumpers trying to get the crowd doing the slow hand clap - that started as a gimic many years back by a class jumper [can't remember who!] and now they nearly all do it!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Me, too.  incidentally, the originator was Willie Banks, the American triple jumper. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Banks

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »
Ms Isinbayeva is back.  :thumbsup:

I wonder if she speaks her father's language. It's one of those weird Caucasian ones. "I love you" translates as "Uzuz uwu kkunduzuz", if Wikipedia is right.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2013, 08:39:21 am »
What's happened to the (majority of the) female athletes' kit? Back in the day when I did
track and field, female athletes used to wear a vest and shorts; now they're in bikinis. :facepalm:

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2013, 01:36:41 pm »
Watched Mo doing the double again...  only second athlete ever apparently.  :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »
What's happened to the (majority of the) female athletes' kit? Back in the day when I did
track and field, female athletes used to wear a vest and shorts; now they're in bikinis. :facepalm:
chasing sponsorship money?  Less skin covered, more TV/news coverage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »
Every time I see Mo Farah win it gives me a lovely warm feeling thinking of all those BNP/EDL wankers seething.
Working my way up to inferior.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2013, 08:19:15 pm »
...or less weight and wind resistance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes...

And a Team GB relay handover SNAFU.  ::-)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2013, 01:16:00 am »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes...

And a Team GB relay handover SNAFU.  ::-)

But doesn't it give you a warm glow - somethings you can always depend on in an ever-changing world?  Maybe in a couple of years time, Adam Gemili will do all four legs on his own.....

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2013, 12:04:26 pm »
;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche